Contemporary versus IFB

Gringo

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
This may sound funny coming from a skeptic but I have some thoughts on these threads about church services and music.

It seems to me that evangelism should be done Monday through Saturday by the christians OUTSIDE  OF CHURCH and church should be for the edification of the saints as they assemble themselves together.

With that in mind, the tempo of the music and the style of dress is inimportant AS LONG AS it edifies you and encourages you. For me personally, I can't IMAGINE being encouraged by a Jim Morrison - Mick Jagger type of song. But that's just me. If there truly ARE people of you that are encouraged by that type of music and if, indeed, you are more comfortable in shorts, then hey. 

HowEVER, I'd be careful to criticize or mock others that like a more traditional style. Different people have different tastes. If one is more comfortable with "Your are my Sonshine, baby" and another is more comfortable with "Guide me oh thou GREAT JEHOVAH" then it seems like there is a place for both AS LONG AS it helps you to remain focused.

But doesn't the Bible teach that "few" there be and that the road is "narrow"? Doesn't the Bible teach you that you must "take up your cross" in subjection to Christ.?

My point: By it's very nature the true number of saints in any church will be small and church leaders, it seems to me, should strive to make their services scriptural and condusive to the saints, not the mass crowd.

A pastor and his deacons should decide what their church is for:

is it to get as many people as they can so that they can have bigger tithes: then you must do whatever is necessary to get THE CROWDS - make it just as comfortable and entertaining as possible.

OR

is it to edify those FEW who have given up their lives in true subjection to Christ - denying themselves. If so, then it might not be so necessary to resemble "the world".  .  .

recently I was invited to church. I went (and the roof didn't fall in). This church was of the former type. no choir (no big deal), guitars (no big deal) shorts and sandals as opposed to suits (no big deal), "money changers" in the bookstore and coffee shop and so forth. And people everywhere. One would be tempted to say that "the spirit of the Lord" was in that place because there were so many people.

All those people included the lady that came up to me, praise Jesus, and greeted me . . . with her breasteses jiggling in her halter top.

Christians should stay focused on just WHAT church is for.

Gringo said:
...church should be for the edification of the saints as they assemble themselves together...

What are your thoughts regarding bringing the lost, homeless, poor, and needy to a Church service?

Tim said:
Gringo said:
...church should be for the edification of the saints as they assemble themselves together...

What are your thoughts regarding bringing the lost, homeless, poor, and needy to a Church service?

One's finances and where he lives has nothing to do with Salvation, does it? 

I'm sure there are many poor and needy people who have surrendered their lives to Christ. As far as the lost, if you want to invite one of us to church to be among you and your fellow believers, wonderful. That's great. I would think.

But you shouldn't wait until Sunday to give me drink, food and shelter if I am needy and if you feel that I am lost and undone in need of a savior, you should not wait until Sunday to witness to me. You should see that I find my way to the Savior BEFORE church and then baptize me and teach me AT church.  Shouldn't you?

:)

admin said:
Gringo said:
It seems to me that evangelism should be done Monday through Saturday by the christians OUTSIDE  OF CHURCH and church should be for the edification of the saints as they assemble themselves together... Christians should stay focused on just WHAT church is for.

I have heard this viewpoint from others. I am a 5 Point Calvinist and I have heard my friends say exactly this.

You have recognized an imbalance (Sunday evangelism). I am not convinced that your approach is correct.

So, there are typically two approaches:
1) Evangelize on: Monday-Saturday (work of the saints outside of the church)
2) Evangelize on: Sunday (let the preacher handle it)

or, just do this... 3) Evangelize every day (everyone is involved, 24/7/365). This is my approach.

The Sunday services should be geared to both, the believer and non-believer.
1Co 14:22
22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

1Co 1:18
18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

1Co 1:23-24
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

Anishinaabe

Yes, church should be geared towards those who worship God in spirit and truth, but with a sensitivity towards the possibility that there are unsaved present.  The gospel is good for the lost, and the saved, but our emphasis should be towards the glory of God through worship.

I believe gearing our church services to be 'seeker sensitive' ( a Biblical misnomer) was the beginning of what I see as a capitulation to the culture in much of what passes today as contemporary worship.

Gringo said:
Tim said:
Gringo said:

One's finances and where he lives has nothing to do with Salvation, does it? 

I'm sure there are many poor and needy people who have surrendered their lives to Christ. As far as the lost, if you want to invite one of us to church to be among you and your fellow believers, wonderful. That's great. I would think.

But you shouldn't wait until Sunday to give me drink, food and shelter if I am needy and if you feel that I am lost and undone in need of a savior, you should not wait until Sunday to witness to me. You should see that I find my way to the Savior BEFORE church and then baptize me and teach me AT church.  Shouldn't you?

:)

I agree. I have learned recently that some local Churches shun the homeless, poor, and needy from corporate worship services ....

admin said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
I believe gearing our church services to be 'seeker sensitive' ( a Biblical misnomer) was the beginning of what I see as a capitulation to the culture in much of what passes today as contemporary worship.

Gearing our church services to be for the believers has stifled outreach.
Gearing our church services to be for the lost has diminished edification.
Both emphases need to be managed properly.
We are called to evangelize AND disciple within the ministry of the church.
It is not a "one-or-the-other" proposition.

I agree in principle.
In 1 Cor. 14, Paul said we should consider unbelievers when we plan our public services.
Just not sure we/some have gone over-board in accommodating the culture.