Contemporary vs. Traditional - A Solution?

cpizzle

Elect
Reaction score
I can make many good points as to why "traditional hymns" sung in a "traditional style" are superior to contemporary music.  I can tell you many "flaws and failures" associated with contemporary worship styles as well.

I can also make good points as to why "contemporary worship songs" sung in a "modern style" are superior to tradional music.  I can tell you many "flaws and failures" associated with tradional worship styles.

Thus, if there are "pro's and con's" to both styles it either means one of two things:

1. You can use either style of your choosing.  You just take the "good" with the "bad."  Segreate the church by demographics and preference. 
-or-
2. There is a type of music that combines the good parts of both styles that doesn't carry the liabilities of either.  It is impactful and recognizable to both old and young.  It is acceptable to the whole "Body of Christ" and not just localized assemblies.  It honors the past without relegating true worship to those who came before.

I actually believe option #2 is the best choice.  What does this "worship uptopia" look  and sound like....not entirely sure.  I would love to figure it out though!

prophet said:
Norefund said:
Every song we sing was contemporary at it's publishing, so this is a moot point.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

Does this mean all that music we heard in the 60's, 70's and 80's isn't CCM any more? There are churches that have contemporary services that play Beatles songs so it's not about being up to the minute - you'd never be able to please everybody with that. There are lots of people who like classic rock for example.  I think what the church really needs is to follow the Biblical model of  speaking to yourselves  in psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with grace and melody in our hearts inspired by a rich study of the word of God - Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly".  If more churches did that both traditional and contemporary churches would be better. 

brianb said:
prophet said:
Norefund said:
Every song we sing was contemporary at it's publishing, so this is a moot point.

Does this mean all that music we heard in the 60's, 70's and 80's isn't CCM any more? There are churches that have contemporary services that play Beatles songs so it's not about being up to the minute - you'd never be able to please everybody with that. There are lots of people who like classic rock for example.  I think what the church really needs is to follow the Biblical model of  speaking to yourselves  in psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with grace and melody in our hearts inspired by a rich study of the word of God - Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly".  If more churches did that both traditional and contemporary churches would be better.
I just don't view any church as traditional...at least in the classic sense of the word.

prophet said:
brianb said:
prophet said:
Norefund said:

I just don't view any church as traditional...at least in the classic sense of the word.

I mean, Rome and Eastern Orthodoxy are, but they are completely antichrist in salvation doctrine, so they don't count.

This will hairlip every dog in HAC county...but I consider modern rock to be the culmination of all other music styles, and to be greater than the sum of the others.
I'm not advocating for any particular group, especially the fornicators, just for the available ability we have to make epically good music now.

I heard, and I'm sure Qwerty and a handful of others would testify, Jack Schaap damned R&B because "everyone knows it comes from Africa".

So there is the old KKK HAC mentality, still alive and well, probably at BJU as well.

But for the rest of us, We love spiritual songs from ?very era.

O Come, Emmanuel is still haunting in it's beauty, and is the definition of Epic.
And Stryper's 80's hair metal was some of the best of their genre.
Classical music from Europe, combined with Native or Afro rythms,
Or even Nordic marches, and the soulful singing style of American Folk, bluegrass, and Rock singers.

Why wouldn't we seek to make  the best music ever?
We have reason to sing.

Just to make a point clear:
I'm not advocating for any current Christian Band.
Most are underwhelming.

I can never understand why "contemporary vs. traditional" is always cast as an either/or. That's a false dichotomy. Sing some of both. Your church probably has members of about four generations in it. No reason any one of them should hold sway over your means of worship.