Could you have actually learned this at.........

Bruh

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I was thinking about a thread that was started here a week or so ago. The title was something like "Things I never learned at HAC". There were 3 words/phrases that stuck out to me.

#1. Hermeneutics = the branch of knowledge that deals with interpretation, especially of the Bible or literary texts.

#2. Doctrine = Essential Teachings of the Christian Faith

#3. How to rightly divide the Word of Truth.

There are people on here that have heard more sermons form Jack Hyles or from the pulpit at HAC and that have sat through classes than me, for sure. 

Thinking through this I was wondering since the list that I have posted was not taught at a bible college such as HAC (which is very very sad) could the things that were taught have been learned............say like at a conference that Zig Ziglar or John Maxwell conducts?

As I search through the sermons that I do remember and sermons that were given to me that Jack Hyles preached or sermons that were preached from the pulpit of HAC it seems that they lend  more to motivational sermons than BIBLE.  Therefore, Zig Ziglar or John Maxwell. 

Just a thought, what say you?

The list of things that my Bible college did not teach, but should have, would be quite extensive.  The two biggest problem areas were:
1. Lack of honest historical perspective: In Church history they spoke highly of Polycarp, but the next person they mentioned was John Wycliffe (sp?). What happened to like 1000 years of church history? Oh, that was the Catholic Era, thus we cannot mention it. Protestants have a proud history, but hiding the Catholic influences on Church history because of your own insecurities is academic dishonesty to say the least.

2. Proper linguistics: Simply put the hole KJVO error is a big setback to anyone with a basic level of intelligence. I do not mean to sound condescending, but whoever came up with this ?doctrine? must have been a cult leader. KJV preferred is fine, but to argue that a 400-year-old translation is the only actual translation is absurd.

We did not need hermeneutics for the way we were taught to preach. It was come up with a thought or inspiration and your whole sermon was built around that. JH had a philosophy that anyone worth his salt would learn the Bible on his own.

Many of the classes we took were rudimentary at best and ridiculous at the very least. (general psychology)

Many of the students who came to college were new christians, functionally illiterate to some degree, there  because pastor or parents told them to go, etc. and I would imagine it would be extremely difficult to craft a series of courses that would fit all.

Bruh said:
I was thinking about a thread that was started here a week or so ago. The title was something like "Things I never learned at HAC". There were 3 words/phrases that stuck out to me.

#1. Hermeneutics = the branch of knowledge that deals with interpretation, especially of the Bible or literary texts.

There are people on here that have heard more sermons form Jack Hyles or from the pulpit at HAC and that have sat through classes than me, for sure. 

Thinking through this I was wondering since the list that I have posted was not taught at a bible college such as HAC (which is very very sad) could the things that were taught have been learned............say like at a conference that Zig Ziglar or John Maxwell conducts?

As I search through the sermons that I do remember and sermons that were given to me that Jack Hyles preached or sermons that were preached from the pulpit of HAC it seems that they lend  more to motivational sermons than BIBLE.  Therefore, Zig Ziglar or John Maxwell. 

Several of us are a bit critical about the three points you mentioned.  Please do not think that all HAC classes were a waste of time.  There were some classes that were definitely helpful.  Church Ed would be an example.  We were required to take this class all 4 years.  My first (and maybe second) year at HAC I did learn a lot in this class.  The third and fourth years were overkill and mostly a waste of time.

You must remember that HAC was advertised as a "practical" college.  It was a "how to do it" institution.  If someone wanted to pastor a church or work in the ministries of a FBCH type IFB church, it was the place to go.

Bob Jones would probably excel in the three points you mentioned.  On the other hand, Bob Jones did not have the "how to do" it that HAC did.  I have watched many BJU grads pastor churches that were dead.  These guys had your three points down, but lacked the "practical" side.

Here is the sad part to me.  HAC could have excelled in the three points that you mentioned without sacrificing the "practical" side.  It would not have been that difficult. 

RAIDER said:
Bruh said:

Several of us are a bit critical about the three points you mentioned.  Please do not think that all HAC classes were a waste of time.  There were some classes that were definitely helpful.  Church Ed would be an example.  We were required to take this class all 4 years.  My first (and maybe second) year at HAC I did learn a lot in this class.  The third and fourth years were overkill and mostly a waste of time.

You must remember that HAC was advertised as a "practical" college.  It was a "how to do it" institution.  If someone wanted to pastor a church or work in the ministries of a FBCH type IFB church, it was the place to go.

Bob Jones would probably excel in the three points you mentioned.  On the other hand, Bob Jones did not have the "how to do" it that HAC did.  I have watched many BJU grads pastor churches that were dead.  These guys had your three points down, but lacked the "practical" side.

Here is the sad part to me.  HAC could have excelled in the three points that you mentioned without sacrificing the "practical" side.  It would not have been that difficult.
I disagree about the difficulty level.

HAC was founded to teach the numbers based philosophy that we all had to outgrow, as we grew in Grace.

Would it have been difficult to find good teachers, and to teach?

No.

But Bro. Hyles carved out a niche, and that niche, eventually, required false doctrine and bad hermeneutics to survive.

We needed to become an inbred, cultish, ignorant, mass, that could be "inspired" regularly to carry on.

As to what you meant?

Would HAC have successfully trained and sent out thousands of ministers, had it been grounded doctrinally?

Yes, it would have.
The zeal, at one point was unmatched.

I remember the esprit de corps of you late 70's to early 80's students.

I was blessed to see so many sincere people show up to receive training to serve Christ.

I remember how it was, by the time I got there, in '94 (yr). 
Haughtiness and pride reigned in the Chicago Bus Ministry.
(I watched the City Baptist kids grow up to be incorrigible brats, when some of my favorite people were City Baptist families from the early days.
Not all...but I shouldnt have to put in disclaimers.)
Bus Captains were now the cool kids in an 80's teen movie.
Tour group members and famous PK were rock stars.

Ministries attacked each other openly.

No one was allowed to speak of behind the scenes sin.

Sermons were banned from cassette tape reproduction, if they were at all effective.

Awards were being given out for fleshly achievements. (Not talking about sports).

I was appalled, and still am, at what the fruit of our labor had become.