Counting Pictures

wlUUT4j.jpg

@Smellin Coffee This is the longest thread 6371 replies.
i think it;s actually the second longest thread in fff history..... the worthless thread for post numbers has over 7000 posts... .. but it;s been over a year since any of us posted on this one...... which is why i will fix that right now...... ;)

6423offroadbike.jpeg

Last edited:
6427.jpeg

for those interested..... the above falling apart jet marked with the numbers 6427 - is a 1960s era russian sukhoi 7.... .code named fitter by nato.. .. i guess they had to name it something and it certainly wasn;t much of a fighter... .considered a piece of junk even in it;s own time.... . now scavanged for spare parts probably still being used in other more modern jets....

the above falling apart jet marked with the numbers 6427 - is a 1960s era russian sukhoi 7.... .code named fitter by nato.. .. i guess they had to name it something and it certainly wasn;t much of a fighter... .considered a piece of junk even in it;s own time....

I'm under the impression that the Sukhoi 7B variant wasn't too bad, though.

Thought this was a picture of a MIG-21 at first, thanks to that funny nose cone, but then I noticed that the shadow doesn't seem quite right for a delta wing.

I'm under the impression that the Sukhoi 7B variant wasn't too bad, though.

Thought this was a picture of a MIG-21 at first, thanks to that funny nose cone, but then I noticed that the shadow doesn't seem quite right for a delta wing.
there is a mig 21 behind the su-7 in the picture... ..... mig 21s have a somewhat similar looking fuselage but also have an elongated tapered hump running from the canopy to the tail on top of the fuselage...... much better design... in fact the concept and success of the mig 21 as a small single engine dogfighter is what inspired american aviation engineers to design the f-16... only they took it several steps further ... and created a fighter jet many times better...

from what i understand the original complaint about the su-7b was that even with improvements it was still a very poor dogfighter... so they attempted to convert and keep it for ground attack use.... however.... it used so much fuel that it;s main hard points under the wing had to used for extra fuel tanks if the jet was going to have any kind of range at all..... and that meant it could not carry as many weapons or ordnance..... .. so they kept it for limited short range use which basically meant using it againt countries close to their own borders... but it presented very little threat to nato countries.....

the only country still using the su-7 is north korea.....

Last edited: