courting & courtship

sword

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Because of the Dugger drama courtship has been brought up several times on other OP's.

Do any of you have personal experience with courting from your family or close friends.

If so how did it work out and what were some of the pros and cons with courting.

I'm sure most of us would agree with some rules when it comes to dating & the importance in finding the right one.
How does courting differ from traditional dating with traditional rules & restrictions. Does it produce better overall outcomes?

Young women are discouraged from going away to college because it makes controlling any courtship very difficult. Courtship involves excessive parental control over adult children.

Anna Duggar's father made a lousy decision. He was probably enamored by the Duggars fame, money, and prestige. She could have made a better choice had she blindly  thrown a dart at a collage of pictures of eligible bachelors. Seriously.

I hope her father feels terrible about this and offers to help her out of this hideous excuse for a marriage.

I suppose it would depend on what definition (or level) of courtship you mean. Two of my three daughters went out of state to school. Both were "courted" by young men. Not in the sit on the sofa in the living room at her home style. One was 18 hours away by car so it was nearly all via phone calls. They just celebrated 10 years of marriage. The other was in the same city. He called me to ask permission to date her (no he didn't "need to" but I appreciated the gesture). They had met at church while singing together in choir. Their social life was pretty much their ministries at church and they surrounded themselves with good folks who kept them accountable.

So neither did the Bill G method but they also didn't do the dating/trolling hoping to win the love lottery method either.

One of the best assessments I ever heard on "dating" and "going steady" was; when young people think they must declare some devotion/commitment to relationships that are more accurately friendships they will live out a cycle of breaking up. In other words they practice getting divorced.

As teenagers, our girls had all sorts of friends that were boys but didn't have boyfriends.