CSI and body modification

Anchor

Elect
Reaction score
My wife is out of town so I find myself watching more TV than normal.  Re-runs of the original CSI (Las Vegas) were on ION earlier this week.  One such program was following the evidence for a series of deaths where the common denominator was a tattoo parlor that also did piercings, splitting tongues, adding horns and other modifications/mutilations. 

As per shows of this ilk the main investigators went to the parlor in question and the camera graphically displayed some of the cuttings, piercings, etc., effectively getting across the weirdness of what goes on in places such as that.

When one of the investigators reacted negatively to the proceedings and stated he'd never be in for that stuff, the other (older, wiser) asserted something in this vein: "Body modification has been around for a long time; it is a sign/statement of rebellion."  If it had been Netflix I could have gone back and listened more closely.

However, I found that to be an interesting observation coming from a purely secular source.  Certainly what was depicted had nothing in common with basic civility or normal societal behaviors.  It was deviant on its best day. 

How does this practice of the weird fit into the life of the believer in practicing a sanctified life?  Other thoughts?