Curtis Hutson Letter

cpizzle

Elect
Reaction score
The Curtis Hutson/Jack Hyles admission of guilt letter is making the rounds again online.  This letter is reportedly written by Curtis Hutson and sent to a pastor friend who had asked him questions concerning the "Hyles Scandal."  In the letter, Curtis Hutson states that Dr. Hyles has been guilty of "financial impropriety" and "immorality."

What makes me doubt the letter's authenticity is that it has been available since the early 90's and has been passed around for 20 years.  Yet, despite being the "smoking gun", it has not gained any traction.  Has someone disproven it?  If it is genuine, then it truly changes the image of Jack Hyles. 

I would appreciate any insight that can be offered.

Thanks.

cpizzle said:
Yet, despite being the "smoking gun", it has not gained any traction.

What kind of "traction" are you looking for?  I heard Hutson speak about Hyles down in Lowell after the "event".  No one disagreed with him or chastised him for speaking negatively about Hyles.  Then in 1990 (I think) we heard both of them speak together at a meeting south of Ft. Wayne.  You could have cut the tension with a knife it was so thick.  They had to sit next to each other on the platform.  Amazingly, the message Hyles brought was fantastic.  It made me think of what Paula Hyles said about the message David preached after he was "discovered" in Garland.

The point being that everyone knew Hyles had done something wrong.  Hyles knew he had been exposed.  Both men are long dead and so again I ask, "What kind of traction are you looking for?"  It's water long gone under the bridge.

Is there a link to this letter?

cpizzle said:
The Curtis Hutson/Jack Hyles admission of guilt letter is making the rounds again online.  This letter is reportedly written by Curtis Hutson and sent to a pastor friend who had asked him questions concerning the "Hyles Scandal."  In the letter, Curtis Hutson states that Dr. Hyles has been guilty of "financial impropriety" and "immorality."

What makes me doubt the letter's authenticity is that it has been available since the early 90's and has been passed around for 20 years.  Yet, despite being the "smoking gun", it has not gained any traction.  Has someone disproven it?  If it is genuine, then it truly changes the image of Jack Hyles. 

I would appreciate any insight that can be offered.

Thanks.

I have never heard of this letter, but I did some research.

Neither Hudson nor Hyles ever publicly refuted or even acknowledged the existence of the letter.

The identity of the pastor who received the letter from Hudson and then released it without Hudson's permission is not known.

In the letter, Hudson acknowledges Hyles' sins but will not fire him from the Sword of the Lord.

Okay, time to stick my neck out. The letter is fake.

If nothing more it reinterates the facts long known - that Jack Hyles was a lying, manipulative, adulterous fraud. He's dead, and his protege Little Lord Faunteroy is sitting in a federal prison for eleven more years.

Thanks for bringing the issue to the forefront again. It's been pretty boring around here lately.

Vince Massi said:

Gun to my head...I would say that it is fake also.

1) It is printed on SOL letterhead and signed by CH, but he says that he will deny it if it gets out? 
2) If it was legit, it would be the biggest "smoking gun" concerning the alleged immorality of Dr. Hyles.  Even today, the allegations are still nothing more than "He Said/He Said"  This letter would be the biggest source of proof that Dr. Hyles did indeed commit some form of immorality.  Why is it buried in the internet promoted only by a few blogs?

Someone asked why this letter would change my view of Dr. Hyles.  Because, at this moment, I am unconvinced of the allegations against him (aside from the DH cover up which I find to be wrong, but forgivable.)  If this letter is indeed genuine, and CH had knowledge of an affair, then my view of Dr. Hyles changes dramatically.  If the "scandal" of the 80's and 90's can be proven true, then I would find myself separating from the college and the legacy of Dr. Hyles.  I know that many of you think I am crazy for remaining "loyal" (though I am not blindly loyal nor am I a "dependent Baptist), but I still believe that FBC and HAC are rooted in righteousness and the blessings of God.  I have multiple disagreements, but none that require separation.

The father of a friend of mine (who was and is still on staff in Hammond) wrote a letter to Hutson condemning him for not defending Hyles against the charges levied in The Biblical Evangelist. Hutson wrote back (or "typed" so I don't know the legitimacy although it was on Sword letterhead) saying that this staff member was out of line, to mind his own business and that the truth would eventually reveal itself and that he would not take sides.

My friend showed me the letter and it was directly addressed to his father personally. I don't know whether or not it was a form letter where the addressee was changeable. Upon reading the letter, I came to the conclusion that Hutson was attempting to remain neutral, at least up to that point in time.

Smellin Coffee said:
The father of a friend of mine (who was and is still on staff in Hammond) wrote a letter to Hutson condemning him for not defending Hyles against the charges levied in The Biblical Evangelist. Hutson wrote back (or "typed" so I don't know the legitimacy although it was on Sword letterhead) saying that this staff member was out of line, to mind his own business and that the truth would eventually reveal itself and that he would not take sides.

My friend showed me the letter and it was directly addressed to his father personally. I don't know whether or not it was a form letter where the addressee was changeable. Upon reading the letter, I came to the conclusion that Hutson was attempting to remain neutral, at least up to that point in time.

Which is a big deal, remaining neutral and not being 100% Hyles would be disloyal.

Folks, I have to rely on memory of what happened decades ago. With Curtiss Hudson in charge, Robert Sumner tried to seize Sword of the Lord, and Hudson fired him, with support from Jack Hyles. Some time later, Sumner came out with his article accusing Hyles of adultery.

In his lengthy lists of proofs, Sumner time and again GAVE CLEAR, STRONG, ROCK-SOLID TESTIMONY ABOUT WHAT HAD HAPPENED, even though he had not observed the event. Hudson devoted a few weeks to his rebuttal. Time and again, Hudson GAVE THE NAMES AND POSITIONS OF SOURCES CITED BY SUMNER, TALKED TO THEM PERSONALLY, and showed that they had not said what Sumter claimed they had said.

Week after week, Hudson published the names of eyewitnesses cited by Sumter, and those eyewitnesses told different stories than what Sumter had told. Hudson did stay neutral (he honestly didn't know for sure that Hyles or anybody else had never committed adultery) but he devastated Sumner's case.

Vince Massi said:
Folks, I have to rely on memory of what happened decades ago. With Curtiss Hudson in charge, Robert Sumner tried to seize Sword of the Lord, and Hudson fired him, with support from Jack Hyles. Some time later, Sumner came out with his article accusing Hyles of adultery.

In his lengthy lists of proofs, Sumner time and again GAVE CLEAR, STRONG, ROCK-SOLID TESTIMONY ABOUT WHAT HAD HAPPENED, even though he had not observed the event. Hudson devoted a few weeks to his rebuttal. Time and again, Hudson GAVE THE NAMES AND POSITIONS OF SOURCES CITED BY SUMNER, TALKED TO THEM PERSONALLY, and showed that they had not said what Sumter claimed they had said.

Week after week, Hudson published the names of eyewitnesses cited by Sumter, and those eyewitnesses told different stories than what Sumter had told. Hudson did stay neutral (he honestly didn't know for sure that Hyles or anybody else had never committed adultery) but he devastated Sumner's case.
^^ THIS IS TRUTH ^^

By anybody in the know Sumner had a huge credibility problem.  The power struggle over the Sword gave motivation.  Sumner was all about revenge no matter how he could get it.  That made all the ink Sumner ever put to paper highly suspect.

So many have had their credibility impeached in all this when their prior actions raised red flags.  Vic screaming out "Touch not God's anointed" everytime someone raised objection to something Hyles wanted to do caused many to raise eyebrows when it came his time to object.  So many, including many of those during Schaap's reign accuse everyone else of doing the very things they were personally doing.  So many have come on here even accusing FBC about being all about the numbers and admit they themselves boosted their numbers to please dear leader.  The one's guilty of major 123 believeism were they themselves doing that very thing.  The very one's pointing the finger were they themselves guilty.  Many who were the closest boot lickers got all burned and became the loudest accusers of everyone else. 

Were there wrongs?  ABSOLUTELY!  Were there liars?  ABSOLUTLY!  Did Leadership ignore the likelihood they were being lied to (willingly ignorant) so they could count the numbers?  ABSOLUTELY! 

But at least have some integrity so those of us who have investigated and continue to watch have someone with some basic integrity to believe and not stretch the pure facts with innuendo and supposition.  Have some personal integrity for goodness sake and don't give it away for expediency. 

Vince I commend you for writing this.

I couldn't care less what the motivation of Sumner was. Devastated his case? Did Curtis Hudson rebutt the contents of the letter published by Judy Nischik? Did he also rebutt the extensive list of cover ups that happened on behalf of Dave Hyles? How about the account given by Paula? Were those rebutted? Were the contents of the book "Fundamental Seduction" by Voyle Glover rebutted? Was the account of the cover up and standing ovation given to a convicted child molestor rebutted?

Vic Nischik, husband of the alleged mistress - not credible?
Judy Nischik Johnson, daughter of the alleged mistress - not credible?
Linda Hyles Murphey, daughter of Jack Hyles - not credible?
Voyle Glover, Attorney and author - not credible?
Has everyone forgotten how Beverly Hyles was never mentioned from the pulpit and you never saw Jack and Beverly together?
Has anyone ever heard a firm denial from Beverly Hyles?

Come on people. Stop it with the "I didn't see it so it didn't happen" philosophy espoused by Jack Hyles. Every time I see this type of "defense" I shake my head in amazement. All of you have seen many things that would lead any rational and objective person away from the continued adoration of Jack Hyles.  Why do you seem to hang your hat on "there is no credible witness to the adultery" argument?

Vince Massi said:

Norefund said:
I couldn't care less what the motivation of Sumner was. Devastated his case? Did Curtis Hudson rebutt the contents of the letter published by Judy Nischik? Did he also rebutt the extensive list of cover ups that happened on behalf of Dave Hyles? How about the account given by Paula? Were those rebutted? Were the contents of the book "Fundamental Seduction" by Voyle Glover rebutted? Was the account of the cover up and standing ovation given to a convicted child molestor rebutted?

Has everyone forgotten how Beverly Hyles was never mentioned from the pulpit and you never saw Jack and Beverly together?

Come on people. Stop it with the "I didn't see it so it didn't happen" philosophy espoused by Jack Hyles. Every time I see this type of "defense" I shake my head in amazement. All of you have seen many things that would lead any rational and objective person away from the continued adoration of Jack Hyles.  Why do you seem to hang your hat on "there is no credible witness to the adultery" argument?

I sense your frustration.  You say that we have all seen many things.  This is the problem.  To many people the list of people you have mentioned are not credible.  Not one of these witnesses has given proof that Jack Hyles was an adulterer.  Yes, many of us see problems in other areas, but the adultery charge is not one of them.

RAIDER said:
Norefund said:

I sense your frustration.  You say that we have all seen many things.  This is the problem.  To many people the list of people you have mentioned are not credible.  Not one of these witnesses has given proof that Jack Hyles was an adulterer.  Yes, many of us see problems in other areas, but the adultery charge is not one of them.
"My husband is the best Christian I have ever known"- Beverly Hyles

She made this statement in front of thousands of us, myself included.

I'm still not convinced that he personally ever had an affair.

Enough damage was done without that, but that would make him insincere, and change the game completely to me.

prophet said:
RAIDER said:
Norefund said:

Enough damage was done without that, but that would make him insincere, and change the game completely to me.

Exactly

prophet said:
RAIDER said:
Norefund said:

Yes, I heard her say this in my presence also.

Two questions.

Why do you find the Dave Hyles cover up forgivable? As a result of that coverup, many families were torn apart and lives shattered. A church is no longer in existence due to that cover up.

Why do you think FBC and HAC are rooted in righteousness and the blessings of God?

cpizzle said:
Vince Massi said:

Gun to my head...I would say that it is fake also.

1) It is printed on SOL letterhead and signed by CH, but he says that he will deny it if it gets out? 
2) If it was legit, it would be the biggest "smoking gun" concerning the alleged immorality of Dr. Hyles.  Even today, the allegations are still nothing more than "He Said/He Said"  This letter would be the biggest source of proof that Dr. Hyles did indeed commit some form of immorality.  Why is it buried in the internet promoted only by a few blogs?

Someone asked why this letter would change my view of Dr. Hyles.  Because, at this moment, I am unconvinced of the allegations against him (aside from the DH cover up which I find to be wrong, but forgivable.)  If this letter is indeed genuine, and CH had knowledge of an affair, then my view of Dr. Hyles changes dramatically.  If the "scandal" of the 80's and 90's can be proven true, then I would find myself separating from the college and the legacy of Dr. Hyles.  I know that many of you think I am crazy for remaining "loyal" (though I am not blindly loyal nor am I a "dependent Baptist), but I still believe that FBC and HAC are rooted in righteousness and the blessings of God.  I have multiple disagreements, but none that require separation.

So, that statement is a denial of the affair?

prophet said:
RAIDER said:
Norefund said:

"Not one of these witnesses has given proof that Jack Hyles was an adulterer."

Now that is an interesting statement.

What would be considered proof? Do you want highly produced HD video?

How about if we look at a real murder case where there was no proof as such.

In Illinois there is a former policeman named Drew Peterson who was convicted of murdering his wife.

The state legislature had to change the law so they could use hearsay in court. Only then did they get a conviction.

Drew+Peterson+Untouchable+(2012).jpg

Just as in Bro. Hyles case there was no proof, but he was convicted of murder and is serving a 38 year sentence.

You've got to do better than saying there is no proof.

There may not be clear-cut proof but there is abundant evidence that an improper relationship was ongoing.