Cussing

I know some people that have a problem of remembering me telling them this or that. No matter how many times I tell them something they say, you never told me that. But the funny thing is if I use the F word once when telling them something important that I want them to remember guess what. They never forget what I told them.
I often recall a story of when I was in the Navy and was the night shift supervisor for the avionics shop in my squadron.

I had a task for one of my workers and carefully explained what needed to be done.

He looked at me like I was speaking in a different language!

I repeated myself, threw in a few "Cuss Words" and the lights turned on. He snapped to and said "No problem Petty Officer Sauter! I'll get right on it!"

Profanity was almost a necessity for effective communication in the Navy!🤣

There is such a thing as holy coarseness or obscenity in the Bible (see, for example, Ezekiel 16 or Phil. 3:8). This isn't justification for using it amongst ourselves; its occurrence is rare. It could hardly be cited as a norm; rather, it's the exception that proves the rule.

Because it's rare, it's shocking: it draws our attention to the author's point, which is the real obscenity.

We're told to keep away from coarse language (Eph. 5:4), but there's a place--occasionally--where a precision vulgarity strikes home on the point you're making. The pulpit isn't the place for that, but Sunday worship isn't the only possible audience, either.
I totally agree that the words and images portrayed in the Bible are sometimes graphic, and that sort of communication can be appropriate as you’ve alluded to, but the Mars Hill casual cool cussing ain’t that sort of thing.

I totally agree that the words and images portrayed in the Bible are sometimes graphic, and that sort of communication can be appropriate as you’ve alluded to, but the Mars Hill casual cool cussing ain’t that sort of thing.

No it is not.

I have to be honest here. I used to cuss up a blue streak, especially if someone made me reach the point of anger...I had a longer fuse than most...still...I did let'er rip! The former president of MBBC was a family friend, a customer of my fathers at the Western store. Some here knew him...Arno Weniger. The school added $2,400 to my bill saying they'd made a mistake in billing. When I got the letter, I was very angry. I ended up with a man named Paul Luker on the phone....I let him have it, and royal. I also let Ray Fulayter have it...they had Arno call me. I cussed him up one wall and down the other. Apparently they called my pastor, and I ended up cussing my pastor out and left the church for over two years. I also filed for bankruptcy because the business my wife and I had at the time was in dire straights. At any rate, I never apologized to any of those people. I said what I said, and I meant every word I said.
I've cussed out several preachers in my day, but it wasn't something I had planned to do. Cussing doesn't make one cool, nor does it really prove anything except that someone has been pushed too far in many cases. It's not an excuse for cussing, it's just a fact of life. I've worked on it over the years, and I have to say that nearly all of the cursing has stopped...I have to be really angry to even say anything vulger. I don't consider calling someone an "ass" vulgar...coarse, maybe, but not vulgar.

We taught our children, when they were in our home, that cussing in conversation was a sign of low intelligence, low class, and a complete lack of self control. I taught them that people will judge you by the words you use and the company you keep. We took vocabulary seriously in our home.

If you choose to cuss then I respect your right to do so as long as you are not carrying on a conversation with me. If you talk to me you will do it appropriately and with respect or I will just walk away.

This is solely my own view and to each their own. I have found with very few exceptions cussing and vulgar language in movies adds very little to the dialog. I suspect its the same in the real world.

I have found with very few exceptions cussing and vulgar language in movies adds very little to the dialog. I suspect its the same in the real world.
'Zactly. While I'm not offended by some cussing (sometimes I fear I should be more offended), when cussing happens in movie dialogue or comedy routines, I do think it added absolutely nothing; in fact, it detracts from the show/program.

Big example: When Ted Nugent was playing with the group Damn(😳) Yankees, I caught one of their shows. Ted took the stage and instantly turned the air blue with his language. He was the most vile, foul mouthed person this sailor has ever seen. If it wasn't for the fact that they were the opening act, I'd have walked out.

I have to be honest here. I used to cuss up a blue streak, especially if someone made me reach the point of anger...I had a longer fuse than most...still...I did let'er rip! The former president of MBBC was a family friend, a customer of my fathers at the Western store. Some here knew him...Arno Weniger. The school added $2,400 to my bill saying they'd made a mistake in billing. When I got the letter, I was very angry. I ended up with a man named Paul Luker on the phone....I let him have it, and royal. I also let Ray Fulayter have it...they had Arno call me. I cussed him up one wall and down the other. Apparently they called my pastor, and I ended up cussing my pastor out and left the church for over two years. I also filed for bankruptcy because the business my wife and I had at the time was in dire straights. At any rate, I never apologized to any of those people. I said what I said, and I meant every word I said.
I've cussed out several preachers in my day, but it wasn't something I had planned to do. Cussing doesn't make one cool, nor does it really prove anything except that someone has been pushed too far in many cases. It's not an excuse for cussing, it's just a fact of life. I've worked on it over the years, and I have to say that nearly all of the cursing has stopped...I have to be really angry to even say anything vulger. I don't consider calling someone an "ass" vulgar...coarse, maybe, but not vulgar.

Just as before with another poster, I do appreciate your transparency and vulnerability. In private, I have had many other problems that folks like you have mentioned, the proverbial hammer, hitting the thumb words. But in the scenario you described it seems like it’s very possible that your anger and frustration precipitated the outburst, which, in the end affected more than just yourself. If I have summed that up accurately, wouldn’t such an outburst be a reflection of behavior that should be modified or controlled? And wouldn’t such awareness mean that we should offer apologies or seek forgiveness from those we have offended?

Just as before with another poster, I do appreciate your transparency and vulnerability. In private, I have had many other problems that folks like you have mentioned, the proverbial hammer, hitting the thumb words. But in the scenario you described it seems like it’s very possible that your anger and frustration precipitated the outburst, which, in the end affected more than just yourself. If I have summed that up accurately, wouldn’t such an outburst be a reflection of behavior that should be modified or controlled? And wouldn’t such awareness mean that we should offer apologies or seek forgiveness from those we have offended?
Weniger is dead...no apology necessary...Luker?? Well, who knows where that snowflake is. I know where Ray Fulayter is, and we've got things straightened out between us. But, when an institution can't own up to a mistake and take the loss that is their problem. They shouldn't be trying to change the game two years later. It's dishonest in a Christian institute, especially when they are the ones who were so lax in their bookkeeping...It was a habitual thing there. After Weniger came to MBBC, a lot of that changed.

After listening to Bob’s link to Christianity Today’s podcast covering the collapse of Mars Hill and Mark Driscoll I was a little surprised at how casual cussing was part of the members of Mars Hill (f-bombs and such) language. These were leaders like administrators, pastors, teachers, musicians, and executives. So, a couple questions:

How do you view the use of coarse language amongst Christians?

Have you been part of or witnessed a Church/Christian culture where cussing was commonplace and accepted?

My two oldest sons went to school with Dallas Jenkins of the Chosen movies fame. Half of the guys they hung around with used cuss words as much as the unsaved crowd of my high school days. I think it is a desire to be noticed, cool, in, hip, whatever you want to call it.

My opinion is that Paul the Apostle called it unwholesome talk, or whatever your translation calls it. And it is culturally determined. In England Bloody is like the F word in the US, from my understanding. So, to me, it is mostly relative, but when someone uses God the Father's name, or the name of Jesus in a cursing way, it is an absolutely direct blasphemy of the Lord.

Like I said, my opinion. I taught my kids, that if they said "Oh my God," in an exclamatory way, like, "Oh crap," I'd slap their face. None of them ever said that, ever, that I know of.

However, I do think it is a sign of Christian maturity, and Self control, a fruit of the Spirit, not to cuss. As a 20 year old, I used cuss words all the time. But I never once did in my grandma's presence, I respected her too much. When I got saved, it took me time to totally stop, and when I don't walk with Christ closely, I have tended to revert to those old man's ways.

We taught our children, when they were in our home, that cussing in conversation was a sign of low intelligence, low class, and a complete lack of self control.
I'll quote Prov 15 :`1 as well. Grievous words stir up angry but a soft answer turns away wrath. If it comes to swearing as in telling someone off well each one can choose and will choose what they want in life. There can be a way to respond in situations to makes ones sinful flesh feel satisfied. but the fruit that come out of it may not be so nice.

I taught them that people will judge you by the words you use and the company you keep.
Sure they will. And some may respond by saying they don't give a what for. That may remove them from being in high profile settings for people will look upon such a one as a chump but the place they are in life and position may be the price they pay. And with their saying they don't give a what for....OK well they can enjoy where they're at. No crying the blues though to those who might be bewildered why they got passed over. They wanted their mannerism. They got it. Live with it.
This is solely my own view and to each their own. I have found with very few exceptions cussing and vulgar language in movies adds very little to the dialog. I suspect its the same in the real world.
It actually can be a distraction. Movie writers put that in there to make a person appear like a man's man or a strong non wimpy female. Thing is though when it's so crude and base it can take quite a few minutes to get over it. They do it to shock viewers but yeah...shocks me right out of the story sometimes. It suggests to me they don't have much faith in their story to need cussing crutches to hold it up. I feel the same way with extreme special effects. Look tell the story and forget the nonsense.

I'll quote Prov 15 :`1 as well. Grievous words stir up angry but a soft answer turns away wrath. If it comes to swearing as in telling someone off well each one can choose and will choose what they want in life. There can be a way to respond in situations to makes ones sinful flesh feel satisfied. but the fruit that come out of it may not be so nice.

Sure they will. And some may respond by saying they don't give a what for. That may remove them from being in high profile settings for people will look upon such a one as a chump but the place they are in life and position may be the price they pay. And with their saying they don't give a what for....OK well they can enjoy where they're at. No crying the blues though to those who might be bewildered why they got passed over. They wanted their mannerism. They got it. Live with it.

It actually can be a distraction. Movie writers put that in there to make a person appear like a man's man or a strong non wimpy female. Thing is though when it's so crude and base it can take quite a few minutes to get over it. They do it to shock viewers but yeah...shocks me right out of the story sometimes. It suggests to me they don't have much faith in their story to need cussing crutches to hold it up. I feel the same way with extreme special effects. Look tell the story and forget the nonsense.

On TV and movies. I watched all of the seasons of Downton Abbey, and I don't think I heard more than 5 cuss words in 6 seasons. It was the best produced period piece I have ever seen. I actually watched all 6 seasons twice. I told my son and daughter in law to just watch a few episodes at the beginning. They did and they were hooked.

You do not need cussing or nudity or killing to have good stories.

My opinion is that Paul the Apostle called it unwholesome talk, or whatever your translation calls it. And it is culturally determined. In England Bloody is like the F word in the US, from my understanding. So, to me, it is mostly relative, but when someone uses God the Father's name, or the name of Jesus in a cursing way, it is an absolutely direct blasphemy of the Lord.

Like I said, my opinion. I taught my kids, that if they said "Oh my God," in an exclamatory way, like, "Oh crap," I'd slap their face. None of them ever said that, ever, that I know of.

However, I do think it is a sign of Christian maturity, and Self control, a fruit of the Spirit, not to cuss. As a 20 year old, I used cuss words all the time. But I never once did in my grandma's presence, I respected her too much. When I got saved, it took me time to totally stop, and when I don't walk with Christ closely, I have tended to revert to those old man's ways.

On TV and movies. I watched all of the seasons of Downton Abbey, and I don't think I heard more than 5 cuss words in 6 seasons. It was the best produced period piece I have ever seen. I actually watched all 6 seasons twice. I told my son and daughter in law to just watch a few episodes at the beginning. They did and they were hooked.
I saw the whole series own most of them and saw the movie as well. I wasn't too excited to see certain of the characters highlighted and the way they were....what happened to Anna was pretty intense some thought too much so. An interesting series though....Mr Bates....what a fine gentleman he was.....always such a noble guy.

I'm not sure in those big estates in the last century that the lords were as nice to the servants as the Father on Downton....perhaps they were. The one who in real life owns that Downton Abby estate I saw interviewed. Quite interesting. Cost a fortune he said to maintain everything.

I saw the whole series own most of them and saw the movie as well. I wasn't too excited to see certain of the characters highlighted and the way they were....what happened to Anna was pretty intense some thought too much so. An interesting series though....Mr Bates....what a fine gentleman he was.....always such a noble guy.

I'm not sure in those big estates in the last century that the lords were as nice to the servants as the Father on Downton....perhaps they were. The one who in real life owns that Downton Abby estate I saw interviewed. Quite interesting. Cost a fortune he said to maintain everything.
Brendan Coyle played Mr Bates. He was in another period series, Lark Rise to Candleford, which was good but not as good. In that one he plays a man with absolute high character.

About three years ago my wife and I were in a resturant. We waited, and waited, and waited for service. I was getting ticked. Then we happened to noticed a number of tables down from us a couple who came in way after us got service. Oh I felt like flipping out. I keep my cool but we kindly brought it up to a waitress walking by. She exclaimed, Oh so sorry, so sorry and found out what had happened. It was a waitress just coming on got confused on what tables she was supposed to do and thus, we never got service.

Well I kept my cool and smiled. The other waitress came over real quick and apologized seeing the mistake she had made. I said Hey no problem. That's fine, no worries. She was so grateful I didn't flip out and took it in stride. Because we were super friendly she was friendly.....a few minutes later and maybe she shouldn't have done this but she did.....she started crying at our table because she knew we were very nice.

She said "You know this is my first day back after a few months off....you see my son was killed in South America and I just came back from there" and she's saying this crying at the same time. She said they even think it was foul play but they don't seem to want to investigate it anymore. She said I was going to stay home but decided I have to keep moving.....try to take my mind off of it. We had tears come to our eyes to as she lamented before us.....did our best to bring her comfort. So after we left the restaurant we said to each other....MY Gosh....What if we would have gave her what for and that dear young lady with her life already in shambles!

We were so very, very, glad we didn't Praise God. So before we go tearing into another.....maybe there's just something about their life which is messed up and they're not thinking straight. Always good to at least give people the benefit of the doubt don't you think? I would never have forgiven myself if I would have told her off.

About three years ago my wife and I were in a resturant. We waited, and waited, and waited for service. I was getting ticked. Then we happened to noticed a number of tables down from us a couple who came in way after us got service. Oh I felt like flipping out. I keep my cool but we kindly brought it up to a waitress walking by. She exclaimed, Oh so sorry, so sorry and found out what had happened. It was a waitress just coming on got confused on what tables she was supposed to do and thus, we never got service.

Well I kept my cool and smiled. The other waitress came over real quick and apologized seeing the mistake she had made. I said Hey no problem. That's fine, no worries. She was so grateful I didn't flip out and took it in stride. Because we were super friendly she was friendly.....a few minutes later and maybe she shouldn't have done this but she did.....she started crying at our table because she knew we were very nice.

She said "You know this is my first day back after a few months off....you see my son was killed in South America and I just came back from there" and she's saying this crying at the same time. She said they even think it was foul play but they don't seem to want to investigate it anymore. She said I was going to stay home but decided I have to keep moving.....try to take my mind off of it. We had tears come to our eyes to as she lamented before us.....did our best to bring her comfort. So after we left the restaurant we said to each other....MY Gosh....What if we would have gave her what for and that dear young lady with her life already in shambles!

We were so very, very, glad we didn't Praise God. So before we go tearing into another.....maybe there's just something about their life which is messed up and they're not thinking straight. Always good to at least give people the benefit of the doubt don't you think? I would never have forgiven myself if I would have told her off.

I seem to remember someone saying be kind to everyone becuase everyone is having a hard time?

The original quote has been attributed to Plato likely around 360 - 370 B.C.