CW FISK

WESLEY

Elect
Reaction score
Someone else mentioned him in another thread... If I remember right, he was quite the producer.

Anyone know why he left?  Seems like there was no rift, and that FBCH would have done whatever it could to keep a man like him.  He reached so many people, including the Lapinas and Roy and Jojo

Not taking anything away from Bro. Fisk but the Lapina's were actually reached by Paul Wright - Johnny Pope's Father-in-Law who worked vigorously to see his friend Pete get saved. Interestingly Paul and Pete got to see each other a week ago today and I am sure been having a good old time since.

Last time I saw him he was working with Keith Gomez.  I believe he has left that ministry.

I've never met the man myself - Tales from the Temple describes him as quite the gentleman.

Maybe he's one of those men who are never really satisfied anywhere; he's worked with Bob Gray, Sr; he worked at FBCH; he worked with Keith Gomez; he was a missionary to Russia for a time -- seems that he's always doing something new.

We used to call them church hoppers, the grass is always greener on the other side, until they get there and then it turns brown too.

bgwilkinson said:
We used to call them church hoppers, the grass is always greener on the other side, until they get there and then it turns brown too.

What do you call them now? And is there anything wrong with not staying at the same church your whole life?

Indifference engine said:
bgwilkinson said:

What do you call them now? And is there anything wrong with not staying at the same church your whole life?
What do you call them now? Drifters, malcontents and trouble makers.

And is there anything wrong with not staying at the same church your whole life? Don't think so, but I am often criticised for staying.

bgwilkinson said:
Indifference engine said:
bgwilkinson said:

What do you call them now? Drifters, malcontents and trouble makers.

And is there anything wrong with not staying at the same church your whole life? Don't think so, but I am often criticised for staying.
Careful now....
Your comments may become YMBA HACker if......... entry.
And what of the many pastors who have moved about the country as they pastor or minister in numbers of churches in their careers as CW has done? He is one of many. 5 churches for me while in the ministry. And BTW, as your pastor has done.

I met CW Fisk when he was working for Gomez.  I asked him to tell me a favorite story of his time working with Dr. Hyles.  He said that he was in charge of the heating and cooling during the services.  On a particular Sunday evening Brother Fisk said he had messed up and hadn't gotten the auditorium cool enough.  In fact, he said it became extremely warm.  After the service Dr. Hyles said he wanted to see Brother Fisk.  Dr. Hyles told him that because he allowed it to get so warm that he may be responsible for people not hearing the gospel during that service.  Brother Fisk smiled at me and said, "It never got warm during another service".  :)  I encouraged him to write a book of stories from the ministries in which he worked.

RAIDER said:
I met CW Fisk when he was working for Gomez.  I asked him to tell me a favorite story of his time working with Dr. Hyles.  He said that he was in charge of the heating and cooling during the services.  On a particular Sunday evening Brother Fisk said he had messed up and hadn't gotten the auditorium cool enough.  In fact, he said it became extremely warm.  After the service Dr. Hyles said he wanted to see Brother Fisk.  Dr. Hyles told him that because he allowed it to get so warm that he may be responsible for people not hearing the gospel during that service.  Brother Fisk smiled at me and said, "It never got warm during another service".  :)  I encouraged him to write a book of stories from the ministries in which he worked.

Hmph... or  maybe bah!  or SMH

I used to believe this kind of nonsense -- that if any distraction occurred, people may not get saved.  I was constantly worried that something I said or did may cause a distraction.

Then I learned the truth that there is a difference between human manipulation and true conviction from the Holy Spirit of God. The former is easily broken, and was the type of thing referred to hear.  It could bring professions of faith, but more often than note, they were false professions, or their Christianity was incredibly shallow. A real conviction wrought by the Holy Spirit is not easily distracted, and will lead to the person under conviction wanting to be saved, instead of wishing the presentation would be over.

I still don't want to be a distraction to anyone so that they can listen to the message, but I don't obsess over someone maybe not getting saved.

Walt said:
RAIDER said:

I used to believe this kind of nonsense -- that if any distraction occurred, people may not get saved.  I was constantly worried that something I said or did may cause a distraction.

Then I learned the truth that there is a difference between human manipulation and true conviction from the Holy Spirit of God. The former is easily broken, and was the type of thing referred to hear.  It could bring professions of faith, but more often than note, they were false professions, or their Christianity was incredibly shallow. A real conviction wrought by the Holy Spirit is not easily distracted, and will lead to the person under conviction wanting to be saved, instead of wishing the presentation would be over.

I still don't want to be a distraction to anyone so that they can listen to the message, but I don't obsess over someone maybe not getting saved.
I have had people get saved when preaching:
In a barn hayloft......
In a jungle screened in adobe brick church building in 110 degree temps......
In a hot gym......
Camp services......
Me thinks that sometimes big-city, big-time preachers forget that God is not limited to working in hearts in perfect conditions.

fishinnut said:
Walt said:
RAIDER said:

In a barn hayloft......
In a hot gym......
Camp services......
Me thinks that sometimes big-city, big-time preachers forget that God is not limited to working in hearts in perfect conditions.
CW does seem to be a humble, seasoned & sincere soul-winner. But he was still rocking the old JH "Man-of-God" on a pedestal thing.

IMHO........that thought process left JS in power for way too long at FBCH/HAC. They should have knocked the pedestal over & sent him packing years before the fall or jumped ship & left him sitting all alone on that stinkin pedestal to be exposed for what he was. BTW....I said so way back then on the other FFF. Job 32:21-22

fishinnut said:
fishinnut said:
Walt said:
RAIDER said:

In a barn hayloft......
In a hot gym......
Camp services......
CW does seem to be a humble, seasoned & sincere soul-winner. But he was still rocking the old JH "Man-of-God" on a pedestal thing.

IMHO........that thought process left JS in power for way too long at FBCH/HAC. They should have knocked the pedestal over & sent him packing years before the fall or jumped ship & left him sitting all alone on that stinkin pedestal to be exposed for what he was. BTW....I said so way back then on the other FFF. Job 32:21-22

JH made a great positive impact in his life.  What do you want him to say?

RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:
fishinnut said:
Walt said:
RAIDER said:

In a barn hayloft......
In a hot gym......
Camp services......

He can & did say what was on his heart.

But my statement stands.

RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:
fishinnut said:
Walt said:
RAIDER said:

In a barn hayloft......
In a hot gym......
Camp services......

Would like to see him and all others to glorify God rather than JH -- saying something like:

- God used JH, FBCH, and HAC to teach me great truths about my life, for which I praise God and am grateful to all three.
- Nevertheless, we were taught a thoroughly unscriptural philosophy of leadership (other unscriptural teachings could be added)
- I was wrong to put JH on a high pedestal, and not check his teaching against the Scripture

Since he had teenagers in the 70s and Dave Hyles was youth pastor, my guess is that was good enough reason to move to Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walt said:
Would like to see him and all others to glorify God rather than JH -- saying something like:

- God used JH, FBCH, and HAC to teach me great truths about my life, for which I praise God and am grateful to all three.
- Nevertheless, we were taught a thoroughly unscriptural philosophy of leadership (other unscriptural teachings could be added)
- I was wrong to put JH on a high pedestal, and not check his teaching against the Scripture

So this would have been the appropriate and correct thing for him to say on that evening?