David Hyles being sued

50 Times?!?!?!??!?!

In the words of the Great Kanye West "When you hear about slavery for 400 years ... For 400 years? That sounds like a choice."

So one of the reasons that Indiana did not pass the law concerning statute of limitations was because after so many years had passed, all alibis would be gone or dead. I would think that the same would be true concerning evidence of the actual crime. I am not saying he did not do it. Most certainly he did fornicate with Miss Ryder however how do you prove that now and at what age was she and how do you have proof of that? Remember that In Indiana whether right or wrong 16 was the age of consent and there was not aggravation because of being an authority at that time.

So one of the reasons that Indiana did not pass the law concerning statute of limitations was because after so many years had passed, all alibis would be gone or dead. I would think that the same would be true concerning evidence of the actual crime. I am not saying he did not do it. Most certainly he did fornicate with Miss Ryder however how do you prove that now and at what age was she and how do you have proof of that? Remember that In Indiana whether right or wrong 16 was the age of consent and there was not aggravation because of being an authority at that time.

The lawsuit documents state that he pinned her down and raped her when she was 15. FB_IMG_1582068422632.jpgFB_IMG_1582068440330.jpgFB_IMG_1582068448616.jpg

Yes I know what she says. What proof does she have after nearly 40 years or more

I was responding to your comment about being 16 and its being consensual.

I have no idea what proof she has, but the lawyer seems to think it's worth his/her time, so we'll see.

I have so much respect for Joy, and admire her strength and grace. Out of the shadows, indeed!

I applaud Joy for her courage but is this lawsuit favorable for her at this time given the fact Jack Hyles is dead and Dave Hyles is no longer associated with the church? Is the leadership of the church even under the same leadership when this all happened? I'm just curious from a legal standpoint.

I applaud Joy for her courage but is this lawsuit favorable for her at this time given the fact Jack Hyles is dead and Dave Hyles is no longer associated with the church? Is the leadership of the church even under the same leadership when this all happened? I'm just curious from a legal standpoint.

Eddie? Although, he probably wasn't really considered a leader when most of this happened.

Eddie? Although, he probably wasn't really considered a leader when most of this happened.
Only one really is the President Emeritus. Wilkerson was 10 living in Tennessee. Oh and Bro Colsten is still at the church but retired.

Only one really is the President Emeritus. Wilkerson was 10 living in Tennessee. Oh and Bro Colsten is still at the church but retired.

Joy's high school principal, Larry Staab, is still there. Jamie Lapina was in high school with Joy and sang in the same Strength and Beauty singing group. HBHS teachers from the 70's are still in the church and may still teach at HB (Sharon Lewis and Gail Merhalski). Mrs Colsten was Joy's Sunday School superintendent. JoJo Moffitt taught college courses with Mrs Evans and I'm sure that she must've heard rumors of Dave's antics. There are hundreds still there besides Johnny Colsten; the Colsten's children were under Dave Hyles tenure as youth pastor and their daughter was in the Strength and Beauty singing group with Joy, which was mentioned in the court filings.

I predict this will be thrown out of court.

If there was any evidence, the DA would be involved and a grand jury would indict, and it would be a criminal case.

As it stands, it appears its just sour grapes for a girl who was, sadly, manipulated and abused forty years ago.

I'm surprised she found an attorney to take the case. She surely isn't paying for an attorney and that means this is done on contingency, so some guy must actually think they can get a settlement.

Is there a dollar amount that has been disclosed? If they actually do settle, the church has insurance that might cover the cost.

I predict this will be thrown out of court.

If there was any evidence, the DA would be involved and a grand jury would indict, and it would be a criminal case.

As it stands, it appears its just sour grapes for a girl who was, sadly, manipulated and abused forty years ago.

I'm surprised she found an attorney to take the case. She surely isn't paying for an attorney and that means this is done on contingency, so some guy must actually think they can get a settlement.

Is there a dollar amount that has been disclosed? If they actually do settle, the church has insurance that might cover t

The atmosphere in the country right now is to take things such as this very serious. The statute of limitations for a criminal case has long expired but this civil case can go forward. From all of the chatter online (first hand accounts) this could be a real problems. There was very little insurance for these things back in the 70s and 80s. ....and trouble finding a lawyer to take this case???? Did you know that 95% of lawyers give all the other ones a bad name? (my apologies to any lawyers reading this this) I am posting not as an expert but as one that knows the system because of training I've taken in Pennsylvania (not Indiania) so I may be wrong on some of this.

The atmosphere in the country right now is to take things such as this very serious. The statute of limitations for a criminal case has long expired but this civil case can go forward.

The statute of limitations was also "long expired" in the Giovanelli (sp?) case. He got 90 days.

As far as the "atmosphere" goes, you may be correct, and the defense will jump all over that and paint the victim as doing this NOW to get some $$$. It could get ugly.

The statute of limitations was also "long expired" in the Giovanelli (sp?) case. He got 90 days.

As far as the "atmosphere" goes, you may be correct, and the defense will jump all over that and paint the victim as doing this NOW to get some $$$. It could get ugly.

It's hard to say - I hope that the church will be left out of it and they can continue to do ministry without this hanging over their heads. I do know that many times there will be a settlement before it goes to trial. I'm certainly no expert - I've just had some limited training in this area.

I too unfortunately see this being thrown out or not a victory for Joy as much as I want it to be. The leadership that existed when Joy was raped is simply no longer there or even at this point alive. (Jack Hyles)