DEBUNKING THE MYTH of HELL

Route_70

Elect
Reaction score
The doctrine of eternal torment in hell or a lake of fire is pure myth. This doctrine is nowhere to be found in the Bible.

The word "hell" appears 53 times in both Old and New Testaments.

Every Old Testament mention of the word hell is always a translation of the word ?sheol.? However, sheol is not always translated in the Old Testament as hell. Sometimes it is translated as grave (Genesis 37:35); sometimes as pit (Numbers 16:33)

Ten times in the New Testament the word hell is translated from the Greek word ?hades.? Eleven times it is translated from the Greek word ?gehenna.? Once it is translated from the Greek word ?tartaroo.? And there is at least one occasion in the New Testament where the word hades is translated as ?grave.?

1.  Death and Hell are different (Rev 20:13).

Rev 20:13  And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

2.  Body and Soul are different (1 Kings 17:20-22)

1Ki 17:20  And he cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, hast thou also brought evil upon the widow with whom I sojourn, by slaying her son?
1Ki 17:21  And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, I pray thee, let this child's soul come into him again.
1Ki 17:22  And the LORD heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived.

3.  Body goes to the grave (Acts 2:31)

Act 2:31  He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. 

Note:  Christ did not suffer in hell but it has to do with the completion of the atonement of sins.  Just as the scapegoat in the Old Testament symbolically carries the sins of Israel into the wilderness so Christ bore our sins in his body and carried them to hell and left them there as he preached to the spirits in prison (1 Peter 3:18,19; Col 2:14,15).

The soul goes to hell (Luke 16:23)

Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

4.  There is no fire in the grave, but there is fire in hell (Luke 16:23)

Luk 16:23  And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

biscuit1953 said:

Act 2:31  He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. 

The soul goes to hell (Luke 16:23)

Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

In both verses the word "hell" is translated from the Greek word hades.  The only way to assert that hades in Acts is not the same hades in Luke is to be dishonest, and interpret the Bible to your own liking, in order to match your already preconceived doctrine.

There is not a single verse in the Bible that says that those who do not accepts Jesus as Savior will be tortured forever in hell or a lake of fire.

There are references to people going to hell, but as we have seen, the word used in the original languages and translated as "hell," is also translated in the Bible as "grave." So where are the lost going: to hell or the grave? We don't know about any hell, but we all know about the grave. We don't know for a fact that hell, a place of real flame and eternal torment exists, but we all know that the grave exists.

Here we go with the ?There?s-not-a-single-verse? tripe again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FSSL said:
Here we go with the ?There?s-not-a-single-verse? tripe again.

Why don't you just put me in my place then?  Instead of "calling" my argument tripe; why not just "show" that it is tripe.  Give me a single verse!

I have TWICE. Someone else can have fun this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the Bible deal with the subject of the location of hell? Deuteronomy 32:22 says, "For a fire is kindled ... and shall burn unto the lowest hell ..." This verse indicates that hell is low (it may also imply more than one hell).

Numbers 16 also suggests that hell is located "down." However, there are many references in the Bible where fire came down from God "out of heaven" (Genesis 19:24).  Fire in heaven?

Revelation 14:10 says that " ...he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb." Kind of makes one wonder what kind of sadist this "Lamb" is.

biscuit1953 said:
1.  Death and Hell are different (Rev 20:13).

2.  Body and Soul are different (1 Kings 17:20-22)

4.  The soul goes to hell (Luke 16:23)

What part of a man goes to hell? "It is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell (Matthew 5:29); "...fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell" (Matthew 10:28).

According to the Bible, both soul and body go to the same place, together.

Much damage has been done to the cause of the gospel by telling the world they will go to hell ?because they don?t believe in Jesus.?  This makes no sense to the ungodly.  If a man jumps out of a plane without a parachute, he will perish because he transgressed the law of gravity.  Had he put on a parachute, he would have been saved.  In one sense, he perished because he didn?t put on the parachute.  But the primary reason he died was because he broke the law of gravity.

If a sinner refuses to trust in Jesus Christ before he passes through the door of death, he will perish.  This isn?t because he refused to trust the Savior, but because he transgressed the Law of God.  He will be condemned for murder, rape, adultery, fornication, lying, stealing, etc.  Had he ?put on the Lord Jesus Christ? (Rom 13:14), he would have been saved;  but because he refused to repent, he will suffer the consequences of his sin.  Sin is not ?failing to believe in Jesus.?  Sin is the ?transgression of the law? (1 John 3:4).  Ray Comfort

1Jn 3:4  Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Rom 3:19  Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

Route, you can curse, you can bury your head in the sand, you can even click your heels together like Dorothy  and repeat with all your heart that, ?there is no hell, there is no hell, there is no hell!?  The fact of the matter is the Bible teaches that the whole world is condemned before God and it doesn?t matter what you think about it.  Your time of death will come just as mine will.  Will your dying testimony be like so many others in the past died who with a clear mind seeing the terror coming upon them, as opposed to today where they are drugged out of their mind with narcotics in a hospital bed? 

Elizabeth the First: ?All my possessions for one moment of time.?

Ludwig van Beethoven: ?Too bad, too bad! It?s too late!?

Thomas Hobbs: ?I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark.?

Anne Boleyn: ?O God, have pity on my soul. O God, have pity on my soul.?

Socrates: ?All of the wisdom of this world is but a tiny raft upon which we must set sail when we leave this earth. If only there was a firmer foundation upon which to sail, perhaps some divine word.?

Tony Hancock (British comedian): ?Nobody will ever know I existed. Nothing to leave behind me. Nothing to pass on. Nobody to mourn me. That?s the bitterest blow of all.?

Phillip III, King of France: ?What an account I shall have to give to God! How I should like to live otherwise than I have lived.?

Voltaire (skeptic): ?I am abandoned by God and man! I will give you half of what I am worth if you will give me six months? life. Then I shall go to hell; and you will go with me. O Christ! O Jesus Christ!? (The talented French writer once said of Jesus, ?Curse the wretch!? He stated, ?Every sensible man, every honorable man, must hold the Christian sect in horror ...Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd and bloody religion that has ever infected the world.?)

HELL IS NOT ETERNAL

"O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave [sheol], I will be thy destruction" (Hosea 13:14).

THE WORD SHEOL appears at least 64 times in the Old Testament. Thirty times it is translated as grave; 31 times as hell; three times as pit. It's first appearance is Genesis 37:35, "...and he said, For I will go down into the grave [sheol] unto my son mourning..." This is Jacob speaking. Isn't it interesting that whereas modern-day Christians believe they are going to heaven to join their loved ones, the Old Testament patriarchs believed they were going to hell to be with theirs!

NUMBERS 16:28-35
"And Moses said, Hereby ye shall know that the LORD hath sent me to do all these works; for I have not done them of mine own mind. If these men die the common death of all men, or if they be visited after the visitation of all men; then the LORD hath not sent me. But if the LORD make a new thing, and the earth open her mouth, and swallow them up, with all that appertain unto them, and they go down quick into the pit; then ye shall understand that these men have provoked the LORD. And it came to pass, as he had made an end of speaking all these words, that the ground clave asunder that was under them: And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods. They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon them: and they perished from among the congregation. And all Israel that were round about them fled at the cry of them: for they said, Lest the earth swallow us up also. And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense."

A number of questions about sheol are answered in this passage. First of all, it is located under the earth. We also see that whoever goes there is consumed. Furthermore, not only men go to hell, houses and worldly goods go to hell also. Also we see that it is the Lord himself who sends people there.

Is sheol the same hell of which Christians speak and about which Christians preach? Yes. The Hebrew word sheol in the Old Testament is translated in the New Testament as the Greek word Hades:

David, of the Old Testament said, "For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell [sheol]." (Psalm 16:10)

Peter, of the New Testament, quotes the Psalm: "Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell [hades]." (Acts 2:27)

So whatever applies to sheol of the Old Testament equally applies to hades of the New Testament since they are the same place.

Route_70 said:
The only way to assert that hades in Acts is not the same hades in Luke is to be dishonest, and interpret the Bible to your own liking, in order to match your already preconceived doctrine.

Your own assertion is false, and it matches your already preconceived human doctrine.  You jump to a wrong conclusion, which you already should know is incorrect.

You know that the same English word can have different meaning in different contexts, and the same is true of words in other languages such as Hebrew and Greek. 

The fact that the same Greek word may be translated and understood differently in two different contexts is not being dishonest.

logos1560 said:
You know that the same English word can have different meaning in different contexts, and the same is true of words in other languages such as Hebrew and Greek. 

That is only true if I know that "the same English word can have different meanings."  Show me from the Bible, where hades on one context is a different hades in another.

As it is, the ambiguity leaves open the possibility of anyone, including you and me, to interpret a particular verse any way we wish.

HELL IS A PLACE OF ANNIHILATION

The ones cast into the pit [sheol or hades] in Numbers 16 were consumed. So hades is a place where one is consumed (annihilated). We know that the word consumed used in numbers 16 means annihilation by seeing its usage elsewhere in scripture. Exodus 3:2,3: "And the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the bush; and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed. And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt."

The implication from the previous passage is that Moses was surprised that this bush was on fire, yet it was not annihilated. The word consumed that appears in Exodus 3, is the same exact Hebrew word as the one that appears in Numbers 16. So the word implies annihilation. Biblical hell is a place of annihilation.

Job said that "All flesh shall perish together, and man shall turn again to dust." (Job 34:15). The word perish in Job is the same Hebrew word as the word perished in Numbers 16. According to Job, after a man perishes, he turns again to dust. Even Job did not believe in eternal torment.

Even more marvelous is this passage from Job:  "For now should I have lain still and been quiet, I should have slept: then had I been at rest, With kings and counsellors of the earth, which build desolate places for themselves; Or with princes that had gold, who filled their houses with silver: Or as an hidden untimely birth I had not been; as infants which never saw light. There the wicked cease from troubling; and there the weary be at rest. There the prisoners rest together; they hear not the voice of the oppressor. The small and great are there; and the servant is free from his master. Wherefore is light given to him that is in misery, and life unto the bitter in soul; Which long for death, but it cometh not; and dig for it more than for hid treasures" (Job 13:13-21).

Job says that hell is a place where:
1. A person can lie still and be quiet.
2. A person can sleep and be at rest.
3. The wicked cease from causing trouble.
4. The weary are at rest.
5. There is light for the miserable.
6. There is life for the bitter in soul.
7. There is light and life in hell!
8. A place where a person can be glad!

Jesus uses hades four times in the New Testament, but he uses gehenna more times than that. Jesus refers to hell fire (Matthew 5:22). When he does he refers to gehenna, not hades:

"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul; but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell [gehenna]" (Matthew 10:28). According to Jesus, gehenna is a place of destruction. Jude 11, says "Woe unto them!...they have...perished in the gainsaying of Core." Jude is referring to modern day lost, saying that the same thing that happened to Core (Korah) and his group (Numbers 16) is going to happen to modern day rebels. What happened to the Korah group? They were annihilated, as we have already seen. Jude had said previously, in verse 7, that Sodom and Gomorrah were set up as an example, also, "suffering the vengeance of eternal fire."

What happened to Sodom and Gomorrha? Luke says, "the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed [same Greek word used by Jesus] them all. Sodom and Gomorrha were obviously annihilated, so Jesus obviously meant annihilation when he used the word ?destroyed.? Jesus is saying that gehenna is a place of annihilation.

REVELATION 14:9-11
"And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name. "

Surely, here is scriptural evidence that the lost will burn forever in hell! NOT SO! This is the only such passage in the entire Bible, so far as I can tell; but notice who it is that will suffer such a fate: "If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark." I have not received any such mark. Has anyone?

Route_70 said:
The doctrine of eternal torment in hell or a lake of fire is pure myth. This doctrine is nowhere to be found in the Bible.

The word "hell" appears 53 times in both Old and New Testaments.

Every Old Testament mention of the word hell is always a translation of the word ?sheol.? However, sheol is not always translated in the Old Testament as hell. Sometimes it is translated as grave (Genesis 37:35); sometimes as pit (Numbers 16:33)

Ten times in the New Testament the word hell is translated from the Greek word ?hades.? Eleven times it is translated from the Greek word ?gehenna.? Once it is translated from the Greek word ?tartaroo.? And there is at least one occasion in the New Testament where the word hades is translated as ?grave.?

I thought that the reason Jesus was sent to die on the cross was to provide an escape from Hell.

If there is no hell, then why did Jesus come and die?

Route_70 said:
HELL IS A PLACE OF ANNIHILATION

The ones cast into the pit [sheol or hades] in Numbers 16 were consumed. So hades is a place where one is consumed (annihilated). We know that the word consumed used in numbers 16 means annihilation by seeing its usage elsewhere in scripture. Exodus 3:2,3: "And the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the bush; and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed. And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt."

The implication from the previous passage is that Moses was surprised that this bush was on fire, yet it was not annihilated. The word consumed that appears in Exodus 3, is the same exact Hebrew word as the one that appears in Numbers 16. So the word implies annihilation. Biblical hell is a place of annihilation.

This is pretty much how I understand and believe it also.