Decision cards from people you should know

Anchor

Elect
Reaction score
I have been doing a recent study on the mechanics of conversion/salvation; i.e., looking at the response side of the salvation equation that ends in actual conversion, largely based in the record of Rom. 10:9 FF as the pattern.  Part of that study has been to apply the accounts of the conversion narratives through the Gospels and Acts.  The manifestations of Rom. 10--confess, believe, call--is pretty varied in these accounts.

There has been a lot of blow back in evangelical circles around the mechanics of receiving Christ.  At least one well-known national voice has anchored his identity in "Declaring War on the Sinner's Prayer." 

After all was said and done, I thought it might be a worthwhile exercise to fill out a"decision card" representative of many you might find in churches, camps, or other evangelistic outreaches with the information available through Scripture of the conversion experiences.  This was done to help us "see" what a biblically true conversion might "look like."  Below are a couple of samples.

Why did you respond? I wanted to come to Jesus because I was really sorry about how I lived

What steps did you take in your decision? I cried—a lot!!—and kissed his feet

What was the result? My sins were forgiven; I got saved!!

Name: Anonymous                                      Occupation: Prostitute                               

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why did you respond? I was curious. I just wanted to see Jesus

What steps did you take in your decision? I gave away half my stuff and repaid a bunch of people I had stolen from

What was the result? I got saved!!

Name:  Zacchaeus                             Occupation: Tax collector             

Thoughts?               

This actually sounds like a great study.  I had a conversation this weekend about our pattern for soul winning.  While I believe in individual liberty, and that a person I meet on the doorstep might become saved right there - I have followed behind too many of these doorstep conversions where the individual is absolutely clueless about eternity or salvation.  I don't believe salvation is difficult, or that my repentance must first be proven before I receive salvation.  However, I don't believe a "say a prayer, get a candy" or a "say a prayer and I will leave you alone" conversion is really what the Phillipian jailor experienced when he simply "believed on the Lord Jesus Christ."

I witnessed to my grandmother periodically through her life, after I came to the Lord. She was never interested, always shut me down peremptorily. The first time, it really threw me because she absolutely doted on me. I thought witnessing to her would be a 'slam - dunk'.

When she was dying, I couldn't stand it. I urged her one last time. She prayed with me. Then she looked at me with a look in her eyes I shall never forget and said, angrily, "There! Are you happy now?" I was, at the time. I had complete faith that her recitation of the sinner's prayer was her ticket to heaven and that she'd be thanking me in the not-too-distant future.

Now I look back and have no such assurance. She didn't want Him. She wasn't looking. She wasn't interested and she wasn't repentant. She said what she knew I wanted her to say and she was mad at me for making her say it but she cared enough about me to go through with it. I somehow don't think, now, that it was a genuine conversion.

:(

brainisengaged said:
I witnessed to my grandmother periodically through her life, after I came to the Lord. She was never interested, always shut me down peremptorily. The first time, it really threw me because she absolutely doted on me. I thought witnessing to her would be a 'slam - dunk'.

When she was dying, I couldn't stand it. I urged her one last time. She prayed with me. Then she looked at me with a look in her eyes I shall never forget and said, angrily, "There! Are you happy now?" I was, at the time. I had complete faith that her recitation of the sinner's prayer was her ticket to heaven and that she'd be thanking me in the not-too-distant future.

Now I look back and have no such assurance. She didn't want Him. She wasn't looking. She wasn't interested and she wasn't repentant. She said what she knew I wanted her to say and she was mad at me for making her say it but she cared enough about me to go through with it. I somehow don't think, now, that it was a genuine conversion.

:(

Sorry for you - and her.

If many of the cards were honest...

Why did you respond? I always respond at Billy Graham gatherings

What steps did you take in your decision? I walked up to the stage

What was the result? I saw a lot of my Christian friends who also attend these, and we were happy to see each other

Name: Anonymous                                      Occupation: Whatever                             

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why did you respond? The pastor gave an altar call and I didn't want people to think I wouldn't respond

What steps did you take in your decision? Not many.  As many as it took to get to the stage.

What was the result? I felt less guilty

Name:  Anonymous                            Occupation: Whatever           

The Rogue Tomato said:

What was the result? I saw a lot of my Christian friends who also attend these, and we were happy to see each other

Why did you respond? The pastor gave an altar call and I didn't want people to think I wouldn't respond

What steps did you take in your decision? Not many.  As many as it took to get to the stage.

Cynical much?!?

]Why did you respond?]I was about to die

What steps did you take in your decision? I asked Jesus to remember me

What was the result? I’m going to Heaven

Name:  Anonymous                                Occupation: Thief                               

Why did you respond? My friend asked me to come after he had told me about Jesus

What steps did you take in your decision? I believed Jesus

What was the result? I’m going to Heaven

Name: Nathanael                                  Occupation:  Unknown                               

Anchor said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

Cynical much?!?

Well, the second one is cynical because I have no evidence it's true.  But I bet it is.

As for the first, however, I never saw so many Christian friends in one place as at a Billy Graham Crusade responding to his call to come forward.  So that I can confirm from experience. 

If I were being honest . . .

Why did you respond? I didn't, because your "altar call" was so tacky that I think Jesus was probably more embarrassed for you, than all those people who responded would have been if you'd invited them to step forward publicly instead of quietly with every head bowed and eye closed.

What steps did you take in your decision? Even though I looked like I had my head bowed and my eyes closed, I really didn't. If you want to invite people to Jesus, don't sneak it into a prayer. I'm onto you next time.

What was the result? I didn't actually raise my hand, but somehow you saw it anyway.

Name:  Anonymous                            Occupation: Gadfly