Demographic Decline of IFB Congregations

illinoisguy

Elect
Reaction score
The "Forum" section of the December 5, 2020 issue of Berea Baptist Banner, published by Berea Baptist Church (IFB) in Mantachie, Mississippi, posed this question to 3 panelists: "As a pastor, what is the most discouraging thing you see in our Baptist churches today?"

Two of the 3 panelists listed numerical decline of Baptist churches - one of them observed, "As far as what I see that discourages me most in our churches in general is something I have no control over. It is the aging population of our churches. The average membership of Baptist churches is growing older and many faithful members are passing on to glory." He calls for more prayer and witnessing, and concludes, "I refuse to merely say 'it is the last days' and capitulate to pessimism"

The other panelist stated, "The most discouraging thing that I see in Baptist churches today is the conspicuous and prevalent absence of young folk in attendance. This is not just a phenomena [sic] of Baptist churches, but is a troubling trend across fundamental Christianity as a whole. The measures that more liberal churches take to 'entertain' the younger generation does [sic] nothing more than stretch their attendance a few more years, until they still yet disappear from the church doors of faithful membership." His proposed solutions are prayer, "leadership by example," and better teaching, in the home as well as the church. He laments that the younger generation favors grape juice instead of wine in the Lord's Supper, that women have discarded head-coverings, that there is not a stronger stand against "Catholic holy days" (presumably Easter and Christmas), and that "The sound foundation of God's King James Bible has been allowed to erode and with the multiplicities of Bibles has come the inevitable multiplicities of truths! How can any sane person expect any less?"

My personal opinion: the exodus of young people from the IFB movement, and the overall numerical decline of IFB churches, are real problems that should be recognized, seriously discussed and dealt with. Personally, I don't think that wine in the Lord's Supper, women's head-coverings, bans on Easter and Christmas, or forbidding young people to read modern Bible versions that they can understand, will significantly help the situation - but hey, that's just me.

My personal opinion: the exodus of young people from the IFB movement, and the overall numerical decline of IFB churches, are real problems that should be recognized, seriously discussed and dealt with.

Until churches learn that their strength is in the pulpit with true teaching from the Word of God (not hobby horses), they will continue to die off.

Sadly, few preachers are doing this. They say they are committed to the "Old Time Religion/Old Paths," but don't even know what those phrases mean.

Personally, I don't think that wine in the Lord's Supper, women's head-coverings, bans on Easter and Christmas, or forbidding young people to read modern Bible versions that they can understand, will significantly help the situation - but hey, that's just me.

You're touting the same philosophy that Rome has used for centuries. They don't preach against voodoo (just one example), they incorporate it and tolerate it to reach the masses.

You're touting the same philosophy that Rome has used for centuries. They don't preach against voodoo (just one example), they incorporate it and tolerate it to reach the masses.
What is it that your opposed to accepting from Illinois post? I understand that on the one extreme you have the Catholics that will joinn with anything in the name of the unity. On the onther side though, you have the Creepy Treasure types who believe you must follow their every opinion or your in some way abhorrent.

While it is true that many old time IFB churches are living stuck in a cultural vacuum and running younger people off as a result it is equally true that we live in a post-Christian world that is rapidly secularizing more and more. The evangelical church is becoming as market driven as the culture around it so when you dare to do what FSSL suggested and preach unadulterated Bible truth many people do not want that and would rather have their ears tickled so they go elsewhere to the many churches willing to do just that.

Yes, reading the Bible in a dialect of English from living memory is the equivalent of voodoo.

Good grief. Do you ever say anything that isn't utterly moronic? If you're an IFBer, then the whole movement deserves to be buried and forgotten. Heck. I'll bring the shovels.

Jesus is embarrassed by you, clown.

The problem with IFB congregations is the same problem everywhere. It is the same problem that Jesus had and why His own wanted Him dead.

The issue is people are just not what they pretend to be. They're fakes posing as the offspring of God.

The problem with IFB congregations is the same problem everywhere. It is the same problem that Jesus had and why His own wanted Him dead.

The issue is people are just not what they pretend to be. They're fakes posing as the offspring of God.
Aren't you supposed to be disgracing me in front of the whole forum by posting evidence that I stalked a disabled person?

Most anyone from the old forum knows you stalked her to my forum. Much like you're stalking me here.

I'm stalking you? You came back to this forum pretending to be someone who wasn't already banned. Must be pretty boring over on your own forum if you have to crawl back here. If anyone is being stalked, it's me, by you.

Difference is, I know you're just full of yourself.

At least, unlike you, accusation boy, I'm not full of used food.

Setting the stage for your defense?

Told you I wouldn't need one. You useless yeast infection.

Except for Creepy Treasure of course. He's the one true believer-when he's not pursuing pics of children on the internet of course.

Looks like yeezy is hard at work memory-holing his posts claiming I stalked someone on his forum. I thought he was supposed to be gathering evidence, not erasing it?

Just one problem, though . . .

Screenshot_2020-12-06 Demographic Decline of IFB Congregations.png

Looks like yeezy is hard at work memory-holing his posts claiming I stalked someone on his forum. I thought he was supposed to be gathering evidence, not erasing it?

Just one problem, though . . .

View attachment 1750
Didn't UGC used to do that as well? Purge the damaging posts eh?

Didn't UGC used to do that as well? Purge the damaging posts eh?
Yep. Bit different, though: he was posting abuse just long enough for me to see it, then deleting it.

Didn't work for him, either, and I set up a special user group for him that made his posts read-only after a few minutes. Hmmm. Perhaps he's lonely.

Yes, it's sad that even when IFB preachers face up to and discuss the reality of young people leaving and avoiding their churches, they still have to trot out these hobby horses like women's head coverings, King James Only, bans on holidays, etc., which just might be part of the reason why the young people are staying away. I would love to see an intelligent discussion among IFBs as to how to reverse the mass movement of Millennials away from their churches. But I'm not holding my breath.

Yes, it's sad that even when IFB preachers face up to and discuss the reality of young people leaving and avoiding their churches, they still have to trot out these hobby horses like women's head coverings, King James Only, bans on holidays, etc., which just might be part of the reason why the young people are staying away. I would love to see an intelligent discussion among IFBs as to how to reverse the mass movement of Millennials away from their churches. But I'm not holding my breath.
It may just be a different gang of fundy's that I've been around but I've never heard anything regarding women's head coverings. On the holidays issue I've heard one pastor many years ago speak against Christmas because of the paganism mixed with it and the fact it's not likely even the time of year Christ was born. What's interesting is the first fundy church I went to was a large Hyles-anderson type in NC. One of the assistant pastors who was my sunday school teacher invited the class to a Halloween party. That's always been a holiday I've held a personal conviction not to celebrate.

I know this is just a tiny section of the movement, but of the three fundy churches I was involved with, none were shrinking. One would bounce around between 150-250. It was in a growing but somewhat transient area. The 2nd was in a growing area and started with about 250. By the time I left they were running around 600. The third had went through a pastor being forced to resign and a split when I started with them so they had already shrunk significantly but over about six years grew back to their pre split numbers. This church was also in a growing area.

I credit the growth of the ones I've been a part of to their sould winning programs. I don't necessarily agree with the hit and run easy believism methods often employed, but it does seem to keep them coming in the front door faster than they are leaving out the back.

It may just be a different gang of fundy's that I've been around but I've never heard anything regarding women's head coverings. On the holidays issue I've heard one pastor many years ago speak against Christmas because of the paganism mixed with it and the fact it's not likely even the time of year Christ was born. What's interesting is the first fundy church I went to was a large Hyles-anderson type in NC. One of the assistant pastors who was my sunday school teacher invited the class to a Halloween party. That's always been a holiday I've held a personal conviction not to celebrate.

I know this is just a tiny section of the movement, but of the three fundy churches I was involved with, none were shrinking. One would bounce around between 150-250. It was in a growing but somewhat transient area. The 2nd was in a growing area and started with about 250. By the time I left they were running around 600. The third had went through a pastor being forced to resign and a split when I started with them so they had already shrunk significantly but over about six years grew back to their pre split numbers. This church was also in a growing area.

I credit the growth of the ones I've been a part of to their sould winning programs. I don't necessarily agree with the hit and run easy believism methods often employed, but it does seem to keep them coming in the front door faster than they are leaving out the back.

Every Christian church has quirks and idiosyncrasies that will drive people away that are looking for something other than what may be on their theological agenda. But the sad part IMHO is that many aren't looking for theological /biblical soundness of any sort, whether of a head covering and submission orientation, choice of translation, or whether Sunday School is offered. It is typically much more of a superficial nature, namely, "what can the church do for me"?