Demographic Decline of IFB Congregations

Women's head coverings in church is still a big issue with some churches that support the Berea Baptist Banner but I can't think of an IFB church in my area that takes that stand. There was one such church - now defunct. On one occasion the pastor of that church was challenged by another pastor as to where he stood on the KJV. My pastor friend was ready for him and replied, "We believe in head coverings for women in church - just like it says in the King James Version!" The KJV-only preacher quickly backed off and didn't want to press the KJV issue any further.

Opposition to Christmas and Easter are still hot issues that are regularly hooted up in the IFB publications that I receive. A pastor of an IFB church where I was a member (now defunct) preached an entire sermon against Christmas trees, based on Jeremiah 10:4. An IFB pastor friend sent out a newsletter to thousands of local households entitled "Why I Do Not Celebrate Easter" in which he said, "If you choose to celebrate this holiday with pagan practices, just be honest with yourself and do not claim to worship Jesus Christ nor to follow the New Testament." I thought that was rather extreme. Another IFB pastor friend walked out of one church in a huff, publicly condemning them for having a Christmas tree in the church, but later in his own church he had a Christmas wreath - I'm not sure what the difference was. It seems like some IFB pastors are convinced that they are doing the right thing if they make an issue of these things, plus King James Only and no women's slacks, even if the young people are run off as a result. They would rather be known among fellow preachers for taking a "right stand" on the "hobby horses" than to be able to reach the young people in their communities. (Yes, it is true that some young people are not going to want to come to an IFB church anyway, even if the weirdo extremist stuff is dropped. But some preachers seem to have the attitude that they are going to keep pounding away on issues that nobody cares about except their tiny following, and if prospective members are repelled by it, well, they didn't want them anyway).

As for soul winning programs, my personal observation over the years, with the approach of "just get them to pray the prayer" was that people might be successfully manipulated to pray the "salvation prayer" but then they never came to church.

Last edited:
As for soul winning programs, my personal observation over the years, with the approach of "just get them to pray the prayer" was that people might be successfully manipulated to pray the "salvation prayer" but then they never came to church.
I would almost agree with you. I've seen them almost never show up. However in a larger church like the one I recently left, you don't have to get that big of a percentage to show up. If you have 100 people a week soul winning and each one only talks to 3 people. If just 1% show up you are still adding 3 people a week to your attendance. All you have to do is make sure no more than 2 a week are leaving and your growing. Especially in growing areas where you have a constant supply of new people it can work well. I'm not saying it creates a healthy church but it creates a numerically growing one.

My former church did a campaign to reache everyone in the county over the course of a year. At least on paper they succeeded. The county population is somewhere around 35k. Again if just 1% start attending you have 350 new attendees-even 1/2% gives you 175.

I understand that there are/have been issues of poor preaching, extra biblical standards and convictions (among other things). I believe many of the younger IFB leaders are addressing those issues and have made great inroads toward correcting them. Josh Teis and his Idea Day are on the cutting edge of this.

But I believe one problem faced by IFB and other evangelicals is the age of their Pastors and leaders. There has been a changing of the guard from the Baby Boomers and because of the size and propensity toward extra biblical tangents of that generation the change has been cumbersome. 70 year old Pastors seldom lead churches filled with young couples and college students. The age factor is always a factor but it seems to be magnified today as the old guard (especially in IFB-dom) go kicking and screaming.

Women's head coverings in church is still a big issue with some churches that support the Berea Baptist Banner but I can't think of an IFB church in my area that takes that stand.

Ironically, the church you reference for that "Banner" publication is only about an hour from me. And what I would say about that publication in general is you can add to their problems the error of extreme Calvinism. 😁😉

Opposition to Christmas and Easter are still hot issues that are regularly hooted up in the IFB publications that I receive....

Many of the issues that are at the heart of the essence of your point would/should be considered adiophora, but as you have said their lack of charity causes them to use these issues as badges of Honor and hills that they will die on. That is not only true of ifbs, but many in stodgy conservative Evangelical and reformed circles.

The debate over what should be considered theologically central and what should be considered peripheral is not new to biblical Christianity and it won't end with mandatory implementation of skinny jeans and goateed preachers either. I don't say that to justify legalism, hobby horse preaching, and a lack of grace, but rather just simply highlight the problem is much greater than just a movement within IFBs and it's not just a problem of recent historical advent.

But I believe one problem faced by IFB and other evangelicals is the age of their Pastors and leaders. There has been a changing of the guard from the Baby Boomers and because of the size and propensity toward extra biblical tangents of that generation the change has been cumbersome. 70 year old Pastors seldom lead churches filled with young couples and college students. The age factor is always a factor but it seems to be magnified today as the old guard (especially in IFB-dom) go kicking and screaming.

I think you add a great point to the conversation. On a secular level you see this portrayed often within generation gaps where there is a lack of relevance and relatability. It was classically depicted in the movie Footloose, or maybe a better theological example in the musical movie Fiddler on the Roof. The reluctance of the old guard to soften for modern applications and cultural adaptations is legitimate. What we have to be careful of is throwing the baby out with the bathwater and saying that everything that previous generations held as far as "standards" was foolish, and that we know so much better than they did. Just to make that point analogically, the notion that simply because some legalists have screamed that all movie theaters are straight out of Hellywood and therefore we should avoid their content while hypocritically watching that same content at home, does not mean that we should ignore the principle that there is a worldview represented inherent to much what comes out of that industry. That is to say, a younger generation sometimes rushes to accept the culture a little bit too readily into the church and philosophy of ministry. Discernment is key, and the gospel of course should always be central.

Last edited:
I think you add a great point to the conversation. On a secular level you see this portrayed often within generation gaps where there is a lack of relevance and relatability. It was classically depicted in the movie Footloose, or maybe a better theological example in the musical movie Fiddler on the Roof. The reluctance of the old guard to soften for modern applications and cultural adaptations is legitimate. What we have to be careful of is throwing the baby out with the bathwater and saying that everything that previous generations held as far as "standards" was foolish, and that we know so much better than they did. Just to make that point analogically, the notion that simply because some legalists have screamed that all movie theaters are straight out of Hellywood and therefore we should avoid their content while hypocritically watching that same content at home, does not mean that we should ignore the principle that there is a worldview represented inherent to much what comes out of that industry. That is to say, a younger generation sometimes rushes to accept the culture a little bit too readily into the church and philosophy of ministry. Discernment is key, and the gospel of course should always be central.

There is certainly a possibility of younger people 'accepting the culture..." where-in Biblical admonitions are compromised or abandoned.
However, unless you see KJVO, pants, 'rock' music or other tangent issues like head coverings as Biblical, I don't see this as a rampant problem among the younger IFB's.
Now the relevant Hillsong-hipster crowd is another subject all together.
And, those like Twisted, who equate a modern English translation with voodoo are hardly worth the mention.

Aging pastoral leadership among IFBs may be part of the problem. I suspect that part of the problem is that elderly pastors are too concerned about what their fellow elderly pastors down the road will think if they "go soft" on such issues as women's slacks, KJV only, etc. They prefer to hang on to the esteem of Old Guard preachers who are 100 miles away, at the price of losing relevance and outreach with the young people who live a few miles from their church. And of course, if any changes are made to adapt to the modern culture, there are plenty of critics waiting and eager to pounce on them for adopting the "philosophy of Rome" and going "voodoo," so maybe it's just not worth the hassle for the elderly preacher with mostly elderly parishioners who really don't want an influx of youngsters in the church anyhow.

While I would not make an issue of moviegoing, I still go don't to the movie theater - haven't been since 1971. (Except that in 1975 I was in the old Colonial Theater in Colfax, Illinois, not to watch a movie but to help replace the slanted floor with a new flat concrete floor, so we could convert the building to industrial use). I agree that it would be still be wise for Christians to avoid funding the evil worldview of "Hellywood" by paying to see their movies. There are lots of decent movies available for free, so why give away our hard-earned money to Hellywood?

While I would not make an issue of moviegoing, I still go don't to the movie theater - haven't been since 1971. (Except that in 1975 I was in the old Colonial Theater in Colfax, Illinois, not to watch a movie but to help replace the slanted floor with a new flat concrete floor, so we could convert the building to industrial use). I agree that it would be still be wise for Christians to avoid funding the evil worldview of "Hellywood" by paying to see their movies. There are lots of decent movies available for free, so why give away our hard-earned money to Hellywood?
I have financial convictions against going to the movie theater-I'm too cheap. I do think Christians may have missed an opportunity in regards to Hollywood, though. Traditionally, although I think the last five years or so this may have changed, Hollywood agnostic. They would provide whatever made them money. With Christians boycotting they are left with providing entertainment that pleases the non Christian crowd. Of course in the last few years companies have began supporting all sorts of things that hurt them financially so I think they have moved on to some sort of a peculiar worldly "morality". One recent example of "Hollywood" embracing cleaner movies in the pursuit of cash is Sony's acquisition of Pureflix. I'm not convinced they will be able to avoid the temptation to meddle with it but they seem to see a niche that they think will be profitable.

When I made the switch to IFB from an evangelical church I had a 6 year old son. My goal was to not go anywhere or listen to anything I would not be willing to go to or listen to if he was sitting next to me. So my own conviction at the time was to not watch any R rated movies. So I was surprised to find at this IFB church that R rated movies were fine as long as they were sanctified by a DVD player.

Living rent free during the pandemic.

I hardly think using your post...on this thread...constitutes such.
Your imitation (of Ransom, who lives rent free in your psyche) is the best form of flattery.
You relating using modern versions of Scripture to Catholics incorporating voodoo into their religious ritual was stupid.
To point out that such stupidity is ONE reason the IFB's are not reaching a younger demographic is simply replying to the thread.
We're not all drive by posters like you.

Beware-eth of the voodoo-eth....

Aging pastoral leadership among IFBs may be part of the problem. I suspect that part of the problem is that elderly pastors are too concerned about what their fellow elderly pastors down the road will think if they "go soft" on such issues as women's slacks, KJV only, etc. They prefer to hang on to the esteem of Old Guard preachers who are 100 miles away, at the price of losing relevance and outreach with the young people who live a few miles from their church. And of course, if any changes are made to adapt to the modern culture, there are plenty of critics waiting and eager to pounce on them for adopting the "philosophy of Rome" and going "voodoo," so maybe it's just not worth the hassle for the elderly preacher with mostly elderly parishioners who really don't want an influx of youngsters in the church anyhow.

Hellywood movies being evil in the age on Netflix again illustrates a reason they are not reaching the 'next generation'.
I do believe the aging leadership plus an aging congregation are factors.
To have senior saints (like me) preaching, leading the service, singing, ushering, teaching etc just doesn't bode well for reaching the next generation.

This is old news, but a few decades ago, there was an influx of IFB churches into the Southern Baptist Convention. Many of them were former SBC churches that were responding to the resumption of power by fundamentalists within the Convention.

It is difficult to measure the numerical strength of a movement such as IFB, where the churches do not report statistics to any central database. However, one possible metric could be the circulation figures of periodicals that serve, promote and represent the movement, such as the Sword of the Lord.

In 1973 George Dollar, in "A History of Fundamentalism in America," stated that the Sword of the Lord at that time had a circulation of 250,000, and that "it has been the theological diet of hundreds of preachers for years."

As of October 19, 2018, the Sword of the Lord reported "total No. copies printed - actual No. copies single issue published nearest to filing date" of 40,538. Two years later, as of October 2, 2020, this figure was down slightly, to 39,000.

Of course, it could be argued that there are still as many fundamental Baptists as before - they just don't read the Sword of the Lord as much as they used to. Nevertheless, the circulation of such a paper is a measure of the impact and influence of the movement, in propagating and inculcating its views. I am not aware that there are other IFB publications with an increase of circulation that could duplicate and augment the type of influence that the Sword of the Lord used to have. Maybe true IFB believers are now getting their spiritual sustenance from non-print sources, such as watching videos of Tony Hutson's preaching, or Larry Brown smashing TV sets with an axe. (Hayyy-man!)

In 1973 George Dollar, in "A History of Fundamentalism in America," stated that the Sword of the Lord at that time had a circulation of 250,000, and that "it has been the theological diet of hundreds of preachers for years."

That is a good book! I had to search far and wide to get a copy. You are the only other person I have heard reference it, other than the original book I read which referenced it.

I grew up at Hammond, served on staff for several "famous" IFB pastors and now serve on staff at an SBC church which is very conservative. I very much disagree with the concept that high standards are driving away the young people. I very much disagree with an aging population driving away middle aged and younger people. I know many young people who are searching for answers in life that appreciate being able to glean wisdom from the older generations. I do agree that hobby-horse screaming has no place in the church. I believe that front door evangelism is needed. So, here is my opinion:

Yes, Baptist churches are declining. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. I absolutely believe that non-believers are looking for an answer to life's enduring questions of God, purpose to life and the afterlife. When people begin to ponder these issues, they look around for someone who obviously believes what they say. If standards were the issue, they would run from Islam. However, when they consider Christianity, they see a social structure that is woven into much our our American lifestyle, but is not really believed by the proponents of Christianity. In other words, Christians aren't real. When a MOG starts yelling about politics or preferences instead of addressing the real issues of life, God and eternity, guests guess that the answers to life's questions won't be found here and they move on to something else. When people who grow up in churches that are overly focused on the litmus test, have obvious double-standards in their life and don't give real answers to the bigger questions in life, these people decide that the church can't help them and they leave.

"Churches" that seek to grow their membership through a high level of entertainment don't provide real discipleship and develop equally shallow Christians to those who only know church as a list of do's and don'ts. Hybles admitted such discovery in interviews nearly 15 years ago. So, the adherence to standards or the lack thereof, the quartet only or the rock music genres, the suits and dresses or the skinnyjeans and yoga pants aren't to blame for decline in Christianity. The problem is the lack of real Christianity.

Part of the answer is definitely found in evangelism. The SBC, with all of their research and polling tools, have come back around to proclaim that the real problem is a lack of evangelism. Old Christians will die off. Always, some people will leave the church. Unless we are actively seeking the lost, we will be declining. I am excited to be a part of a group of churches that are networking together to take the Gospel to every home in our state by the end of 2021.

Looks like yeezy is hard at work memory-holing his posts claiming I stalked someone on his forum. I thought he was supposed to be gathering evidence, not erasing it?

Just one problem, though . . .

View attachment 1750
I only know that if they're still anything like the church I grew up in no twenty something that I know would give them five minutes.

Jubal Sackett

Maybe true IFB believers are now getting their spiritual sustenance from non-print sources, such as watching videos of Tony Hutson's preaching, or Larry Brown smashing TV sets with an axe. (Hayyy-man!)

Jack Trieber said that they are the only two comedians he listens too.

That is a good book! I had to search far and wide to get a copy. You are the only other person I have heard reference it, other than the original book I read which referenced it.
I've had a copy of it for many years. It's sitting in my bedroom on my bookshelf. We used it in the first college I attended.

Until churches learn that their strength is in the pulpit with true teaching from the Word of God (not hobby horses), they will continue to die off.

Sadly, few preachers are doing this. They say they are committed to the "Old Time Religion/Old Paths," but don't even know what those phrases mean.
The Old Time Ways ....... A catch phrase that goes no further back than the 1940's in IFB culture and the 1840's in any other practice.