Did it really harm us?

SwampHag said:
Vince Massi said:
One day, I looked up the Catholic grade school I had graduated from. There are no forums.

And I looked up the Catholic high school I graduated from. There are no forums.

I looked up the secular college I attended for one year. There are no forums.

Hyles-Anderson, however...

My high school has a forum but I have NO DESIRE to be a part of it.  I don't care if I ever hear from 99% of the people I went to high school with.
I think the thing about HAC is that no matter what we went through we made friends of a life time there.  Goodness, what would I do without Patriotic and Teri encouraging me just about every day!  What would I do without my REAL LIFE Christian friends who pray with me, share my sorrows and joys, inspire me to be a better person.
THAT's one thing I took from HAC that made me glad I went there.

Thank you, SwampSweetheart!  I know I feel the same way about you, and am 100% sure Teri does too!

I have realized that, while I had/have some very good friends in high school, the ones I made as a young adult in college years are the ones who have held up through the decades.  I have contact with a high school friend here and there, but the real friends are those made in adulthood.  That holds true even more now that I am to the age where some of those adulthood friends are leaving us for a new address in Heaven. 

I know two different forums/Facebook groups for my high school.   

patriotic said:
I have realized that, while I had/have some very good friends in high school, the ones I made as a young adult in college years are the ones who have held up through the decades.  I have contact with a high school friend here and there, but the real friends are those made in adulthood.  That holds true even more now that I am to the age where some of those adulthood friends are leaving us for a new address in Heaven. 

I agree.  As I look at my closer friends today there are more friends on the list from my HAC years than my high school years.

The residents of Flint Michigan have fond memories too.

Jim Jones said:

Their tap water came right out of the HAC lake!

Teri in NC said:
Jim Jones said:

Were there HACkers from Flint?

My family lived in Davison -just outside of Flint - during my first 2 years.

For the record, when you hear of celebrities donating tractor trailor loads of water to Flint, most of those residents who accepted that donation, then turned around and tried to return it for cash refund. Same with donated water filters even with bar codes marked through. (I have a niece who lives there and she has observed this.)

Brad Lake still lives in the Flint area

I still live in the city I was reared in.

I see several high school friends in real life on a regular basis.

I see and keep in contact with many of them on Facebook.

But, when push comes to shove and I need prayer or a 3am friend, I depend on a handful I met in the early 80's.

Teri in NC said:

But, when push comes to shove and I need prayer or a 3am friend, I depend on a handful I met in the early 80's.

I once had a HACker visit me from Illinois and bring me a bag of Snickers. 

No joke.

patriotic said:
For the record, when you hear of celebrities donating tractor trailor loads of water to Flint, most of those residents who accepted that donation, then turned around and tried to return it for cash refund. Same with donated water filters even with bar codes marked through. (I have a niece who lives there and she has observed this.)

That is sad, that someone in our country has to choose between clean water and cash with which to live.

After reading this thread, I wonder how many of you Hyles alumni sent or allowed your children to attend Hyles Anderson?

Tarheel Baptist said:
After reading this thread, I wonder how many of you Hyles alumni sent or allowed your children to attend Hyles Anderson?
NOT I.......... 8)

Teri in NC said:

Yep!

Smellin Coffee said:
patriotic said:

That is sad, that someone in our country has to choose between clean water and cash with which to live.

They were not choosing between the two.  They were choosing to try to commit fraud.

Seriously,

patriotic said:
Smellin Coffee said:
patriotic said:

They were not choosing between the two.  They were choosing to try to commit fraud.

Seriously,

That being the case, I stand corrected. :)

patriotic said:
Teri in NC said:
Jim Jones said:

The same thing is happening in this thread.

Current posters who are knee deep in their "experience " are trying to cash in on those experiences while totally ignoring that they were used and still don't know it.

Jim Jones said:
patriotic said:
Teri in NC said:
Jim Jones said:

Current posters who are knee deep in their "experience " are trying to cash in on those experiences while totally ignoring that they were used and still don't know it.

I know that some people felt used.  I did not.  I learned a lot that has helped me be a better Christian.

baptisthac said:
Jim Jones said:
patriotic said:
Teri in NC said:
Jim Jones said:

I know that some people felt used.  I did not.  I learned a lot that has helped me be a better Christian.
Don't worry about Jim Jones, he's having an identity crisis...
He's still trying to figure out if he's Bob Marley, JohnMark, or Jim Jones...:D

I don't think HAC really harmed me, but I went into it with my eyes wide opened thanks to my parents upbringing.
The problem that I saw at HAC was that they used to college students to build their church, instead of using the church/college to build their students.