Did it really harm us?

pbuckhunt said:
I don't think HAC really harmed me, but I went into it with my eyes wide opened thanks to my parents upbringing.
The problem that I saw at HAC was that they used to college students to build their church, instead of using the church/college to build their students.

Would/did you allow or encourage your kids to attend HAC?

Tarheel Baptist said:
pbuckhunt said:
I don't think HAC really harmed me, but I went into it with my eyes wide opened thanks to my parents upbringing.
The problem that I saw at HAC was that they used to college students to build their church, instead of using the church/college to build their students.

It is a bit difficult to answer for some.  The college changed with each pastor of FBCH - Hyles, Schaap, Wilkerson.  If I had a college age kid that wanted to be a pastor or missionary I would have to revisit HAC as if I had never been there.

Is there anyone on here that would send their kids to HAC if it was as it were when they were there?

I noticed no one has discussed the millennials who attended Hac during the last 6 years of Schapp. The younger Hac alumni from the 3 ifb church's in our area have not done well. Most do not attend fundamental churches and many do not attend church at all. Many are bitter and did not deal well when Schapp crashed. Remember most of them never knew JH. Schapp was held up as a hero by their pastors. They don't post here but there stories are numerous and sad.

Bruh said:
Is there anyone on here that would send their kids to HAC if it was as it were when they were there?

With so many other choices, I see no reason to ever send anyone there.  Too much baggage there.

Bruh said:

By that age, my kids are old enough to make their own choice of school. Though I would not want them to go there, I would give them the pros and cons and support their decision, even if it is one which goes against my better judgement.

sword said:
I noticed no one has discussed the millennial who attended have during the last 6 years of Schapp. The younger have alumni from the 3 ifb church's in our area have not done well. Most do not attend fundamental church's and many do not attend church at all. Many are bitter and did not deal well when Schapp crashed. Remember most of them never knew j h. Schapp was held up as a hero by their pastors. They don't post here but there stories are numerous and are sad.

Just because they do not attend an IFB church doesn't mean there're not doing well.

I no longer attend an IFB church, not by choice, but out of necessity. We are the same people just attend a non IFB church.  Yes that is possible!

I'm just wondering if they don't attend an IFB church for the same reason. 

Smellin Coffee said:
Bruh said:

By that age, my kids are old enough to make their own choice of school. Though I would not want them to go there, I would give them the pros and cons and support their decision, even if it is one which goes against my better judgement.

You are not still in the circle of IFB's.
I wonder if those who are still IFB's would encourage or allow their children to attend HAC...because that is really the essence of how they feel about it.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Bruh said:

I wonder if those who are still IFB's would encourage or allow their children to attend HAC...because that is really the essence of how they feel about it.

If anyone on the FFF wanted to be open minded, they would have to revisit HAC.  This is not the same HAC which we attended. 

RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Bruh said:

If anyone on the FFF wanted to be open minded, they would have to revisit HAC.  This is not the same HAC which we attended.

From what I have read about HAC, and I only know what I read here, I would assume that it could only be 'better' today with the Wilkerson administration.

Tarheel Baptist said:
pbuckhunt said:

No.

Tarheel Baptist said:
From what I have read about HAC, and I only know what I read here, that it could only be 'better' today with the Wilkerson administration.

Everyone has a different angle on their HAC years.  I was there in the early '80s.  I didn't enjoy or understand all the rules.  I did learn much about serving in a IFB church.  I knew of no scandals.  I am glad that I attended HAC.  My experience there has helped me in many areas of my life. 

Now, you have others who loath the time they spent at HAC.  Others were somewhere in the middle.

The HAC of Dr. Hyles, the HAC of Schaap, and the HAC of Wilkerson are all different.  If someone is not a fan of the HAC of Hyles does not mean they would not be a fan of the HAC of Wilkerson (and visa-versa).

RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
From what I have read about HAC, and I only know what I read here, that it could only be 'better' today with the Wilkerson administration.

Everyone has a different angle on their HAC years.  I was there in the early '80s.  I didn't enjoy or understand all the rules.  I did learn much about serving in a IFB church.  I knew of no scandals.  I am glad that I attended HAC.  My experience there has helped me in many areas of my life. 

Now, you have others who loath the time they spent at HAC.  Others were somewhere in the middle.

The HAC of Dr. Hyles, the HAC of Schaap, and the HAC of Wilkerson are all different.  If someone is not a fan of the HAC of Hyles does not mean they would not be a fan of the HAC of Wilkerson (and visa-versa).

I understand the point you try to make, kind of.... :)

Just because you didn't know about the scandals, doesn't mean they weren't real. And evidently, they were. Dave Hyles was evidently a very long standing scandal and was covered up from the top down. Hardly a place I'd want to send my kids. Schaap and his administration speaks for himself/itself.

Wilkerson seems to be accepted as a man above reproach personally, but has not cleaned house at the church or school. But, all things considered, isn't the college much better today than in years past?

As to Wilkerson's administration, did Dave Hyles get a 'standing O' since he became Pastor? I simply don't understand the mentality that recognizes Dave Hyles but wouldn't accept the guy at Champion as 'one to recognize' much less give a standing ovation. But if one considers the days of Dr Hyles as the glory days of the ministry, in spite of the Dave Hyles cover up, that reflects the same value system, to me at least.

Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I understand the point you try to make, kind of.... :)

Just because you didn't know about the scandals, doesn't mean they weren't real. And evidently, they were. Dave Hyles was evidently a very long standing scandal and was covered up from the top down. Hardly a place I'd want to send my kids. Schaap and his administration speaks for himself/itself.

Wilkerson seems to be accepted as a man above reproach personally, but has not cleaned house at the church or school. But, all things considered, isn't the college much better today than in years past?

As to Wilkerson's administration, did Dave Hyles get a 'standing O' since he became Pastor? I simply don't understand the mentality that recognizes Dave Hyles but wouldn't accept the guy at Champion as 'one to recognize' much less give a standing ovation. But if one considers the days of Dr Hyles as the glory days of the ministry, in spite of the Dave Hyles cover up, that reflects the same value system, to me at least.

Keep in mind that I am only sharing MY EXPERIENCE.  I'm not saying that there were no scandals going on while I was there.  I am saying that we did not know of them.  All we knew was the great preaching and the growing church and college and the packed out Pastor's Schools, Youth Conferences, and Christian Womanhood Spectaculars.  We were learning how to build successful ministries within an IFB church.  All was good.

I do not know if the college today is better or not.  I have not been there in many years.  That is why I said that if I had a child that wanted to attend, I would go check it out as if it were a brand new college.

The Dave Hyles' situation is sad at best.  I don't know if he received a standing O or not.  If he did, shame on FBCH.  He caused more damage to that ministry than can be imagined.  As far as the guy at Champion goes, he has made a decision to move away from the IFB movement.  That is his choice.  He should not expect a standing O from HAC.

The only students there today?

All are from HAC loyalists churches.

All the staff are HAC grads.

Spiritual incest.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Bruh said:

I would be labeled IFBx by most. My answer would be almosr identical to Smellin's, as the question was if HAC were now like it was while I was there.

There would probably be more cons than pros now.

Hi All, I went to HAC-light (WCBC). I am surprised at the amount of similarities there are in the way I view my experience and what I have read here. Thus it makes me think that the IFB should look at these problems which are movement large. Things like man worship, final authority of the pastor, and an overall arrogance in ignorance that condemns higher education at their own institution which claimed to be a college. 

So did the experience harm me? Yes, for many of the same reasons mentioned here. Perhaps the biggest one I have dealt with is forgiving myself for allowing men like Paul Chappell to have that much authority and influence on my thinking. Far too often I confused the pastor's word for the word of God, and even now I find it hard to trust any Christian leader.

I think God's judgment is reserved for people who have treated his children in such a manner as this. To preach a gospel of grace, but live out a gospel of works; isn't this another gospel than the one given down to us by the Holy Spirit? I digress. I'm just glad to be free from that mentality and thankful to my Filipino, Catholic, born wife who heard the Gospel not in a Baptist church and yet understands more about the grace of God than any "professor" I had at WCBC.

nib1066 said:
Hi All, I went to HAC-light (WCBC). I am surprised at the amount of similarities there are in the way I view my experience and what I have read here. Thus it makes me think that the IFB should look at these problems which are movement large. Things like man worship, final authority of the pastor, and an overall arrogance in ignorance that condensed higher education at their own institution which claimed to be a college. 

So did the experience harm me? Yes, for many of the same reasons mentioned here. Perhaps the biggest one I have dealt with is forgiving myself for allowing men like Paul Chappell to have that much authority and influence on my thinking. Far too often I confused the pastor's word for the word of God, and even now I find it hard to trust any Christian leader.

I think God's judgment is reserved for people who have treated his children in such a manner as this. To preach a gospel of grace, but live out a gospel of works; isn't this another gospel than the one given down to us by the Holy Spirit? I digress. I'm just glad to be free from that mentality and thankful to my Filipino, Catholic, born wife who heard the Gospel not in a Baptist church and yet understands more about the grace of God than any "professor" I had at WCBC.

What year(s) did you attend?