Did the Same People Shout “Hosanna” and “Crucify?”

ALAYMAN

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Did the same crowd of people shout “Hosanna” and within a week “crucify him?”

I had always heard the "fickle crowd" narrative regarding the matter of those who welcomed Jesus into Jerusalem, but this article challenges that notion. Do you think that by-and-large that the crowd who shouted Hosanna to Jesus changed their tune so fast, or was those making up the crowd of "crucify" were mostly the ruling religious elite?

I had always heard the "fickle crowd" narrative regarding the matter of those who welcomed Jesus into Jerusalem, but this article challenges that notion. Do you think that by-and-large that the crowd who shouted Hosanna to Jesus changed their tune so fast, or was those making up the crowd of "crucify" were mostly the ruling religious elite?
In John 2:23-24 John says that “many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did but Jesus did not commit himself to them, because he knew all men.”

This ties in with what Jesus said in Matthew 7:2-23, “Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess to them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

The Bible makes it clear that Israel as a whole (not just the leaders) rejected and crucified their Messiah and church history proves that. In modern day Israel Christians make up less than 2% of the population with 20% not even believing in God. It isn’t just the leadership. The apostle Paul said in Acts 13:46 that since the Jews judged themselves unworthy of everlasting life, he turned to the Gentiles (cf. Acts 18:6). However, we know from Romans 11 that their blindness is only temporary.

They were shouting "Hosanna!" when he rode in on a donkey thinking that he would be the "deliverer of Israel" and free them from the bondage of Rome. They shouted "Crucify him!" when they realized he was there for a completely different reason and was not going to be the "Conquering Ruler" they were (and still are) hoping for.

some no doubt were the same people... .. like ransom said - being stirred up by the excitement large enthusiastic groups deliver... ....and though they were shouting "crucify him!".. along with ruling religious elite that started the chant.. .... some of them probably had no more idea what was behind all the ruckus that day... than they did when they joined the followers of Jesus waving palm branches a few days before.... ... people are not always as dedicated as they appear in the heat of the moment.... .. and it would be a good study in human nature to investigate who was actually in either group... or both groups.... .and to learn why they went along with either one.... ...but that would require a time machine.... ;)

some no doubt were the same people... .. like ransom said - being stirred up by the excitement large enthusiastic groups deliver... ....and though they were shouting "crucify him!".. along with ruling religious elite that started the chant.. .... some of them probably had no more idea what was behind all the ruckus that day... than they did when they joined the followers of Jesus waving palm branches a few days before.... ... people are not always as dedicated as they appear in the heat of the moment.... .. and it would be a good study in human nature to investigate who was actually in either group... or both groups.... .and to learn why they went along with either one.... ...but that would require a time machine.... ;)

All answers in the thread are valid in some respect, and your answer stating there were multiple elements to the nature of the crowd(s) is very helpful, as this article also conveys very articulately.

All answers in the thread are valid in some respect, and your answer stating there were multiple elements to the nature of the crowd(s) is very helpful, as this article also conveys very articulately.
He does make an insightful point about the crowd outside Pilate's palace. No doubt many of the people there were followers of Barabbas, but not specifically enemies of Jesus. They wanted Barabbas released, and if Jesus wound up on a cross instead, that was the means to their desired end, not (for them at least) the end in itself.

Agreed, and whether the crowd was made up of people who were for Barrabas, or cheering on the new political king, they were not looking for a Savior, by and large, so easy to see why they were easily persuaded (ie, fickle is not an unreasonable conclusion to describe *some* significant portion of “the crowd“).

Last edited: