Divining Rods - Satanic or act of nature?

banjoplucker

Elect
Reaction score
I grew up in a home with a Mom that studied/practiced paranormal activities.  One that I have seen and done is Divining Rods.  Is this Paranormal or act of nature?  Below is a simple YouTube video.    I know from experience you can ask the Divining Rod yes/no questions, for example is the well xx ft. deep?  I have my thoughts.  Please do not answer with the basic Knee Jerk answer.  Support it with an explanation for your position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW_xDXDtDmc

ps Since I became a Christian I have not messed with it.

I know of people who call it a gift and use it to find water lines that are old or unmarked. No prayer or incantations. Just two wires. There is some thought that certain people have a sensitivity to changes in magnetic/electric fields. The presence water is said to change these fields and they can sense them change via the wires.

Kind of like a trick knee that tells you that the weather is going to change.

Mostly.....Gimmicks.

I wouldn't call it Satanic. Unless someone is giving satan credit for such "power".

I would claim gimmick too,  if not for the fact I have done divining rods. 

What my Mom use to do  was throw a quarter in our 1 acre of grass.  Go into the house (she use to have parties twice a year, where these people would come over), pick someone and have them go find the quarter.  It was marked, and I did it myself so I know not a gimmick.  You could ask questions like "Am I close" etc.  They would cross to answer.

Looks pretty cool to me.  I like how he says "there's the gas line" and shows the collie.  Poor collie just ate a burrito, I guess. 

Neither Satanic nor a natural phenomenon. Dowsing is a pseudoscience. It doesn't work at all. Any time dowsers have been tested in a properly designed experiment, the results were no better than chance. (James Randi's book Flim-Flam! has a detailed narrative of one such double-blind experiment.)

If there is a explanation for a dowser's success at finding underground water, the best one is probably that underground water is distributed more or less uniformly. In other words it would be next to impossible to fail.

Ransom said:
Neither Satanic nor a natural phenomenon. Dowsing is a pseudoscience. It doesn't work at all. Any time dowsers have been tested in a properly designed experiment, the results were no better than chance. (James Randi's book Flim-Flam! has a detailed narrative of one such double-blind experiment.)

If there is a explanation for a dowser's success at finding underground water, the best one is probably that underground water is distributed more or less uniformly. In other words it would be next to impossible to fail.

It could be paranormal.  Maybe he's using telekinesis to move the wires at the right place because he knows where the gas line is buried.  ;)

All good thoughts, but if you read my post, you will see that I have actually used divining rods to find a quarter that was randomly thrown in an 1 acre lawn.  On the same day I saw over 6 other people also find the randomly thrown quarter.  Including asking and receiving accurate answers to Yes/No questions.

If it was not for my experience I would have said the same things. 

If we relied on studies alone to prove or disprove, Christians would be disproved, ESP has been disproved but the Bible talks about people that could predict the future.

banjoplucker said:
If we relied on studies alone to prove or disprove, Christians would be disproved,

No.

ESP has been disproved but the Bible talks about people that could predict the future.

ESP is not the only means of possible future telling.

banjoplucker said:
I would claim gimmick too,  if not for the fact I have done divining rods. 

What my Mom use to do  was throw a quarter in our 1 acre of grass.  Go into the house (she use to have parties twice a year, where these people would come over), pick someone and have them go find the quarter.  It was marked, and I did it myself so I know not a gimmick.  You could ask questions like "Am I close" etc.  They would cross to answer.

No offense.... but I'd like to see you do it.

I work in maintenance and I have used this technique several times.  Its an awesome technique and I would come closer to attributing it to God than I would satan.

Reason being....the way it works if off of the magnetic field in the earth (created by God) 

satan...unlike most believe or realize....is not an equal but opposite of God...he is FAR below God.....as a matter of fact...the lowest.....the very other end of the spectrum

This is just an awesome part of Gods creation and the way He made it to work.  nothing more    :)

rsc2a said:
banjoplucker said:
If we relied on studies alone to prove or disprove, Christians would be disproved,

No.

ESP has been disproved but the Bible talks about people that could predict the future.

ESP is not the only means of possible future telling.

This is true....I like what you said about proving and disproving

I believe that sometimes "science" comes from a bunch of "scientists" who run out of ideas but still need their bills paid and pitch a bunch of junk to the government and get a bunch of money to study a bunch of made up jibberish. 

The ones in the bible who were telling the future had demons in them......Deuteronomy tells us to stay away from these people