Do people still read the KJV?

Fresh Air

Elect
Reaction score
In 2011, Indiana University began an extensive three year study on how the Bible is actually used in American society. Their absolutely fascinating report can be found here:

http://www.raac.iupui.edu/research-projects/bible-american-life/bible-american-life-report/

Among its more interesting factoids...

-All told, this means that 48% of Americans read the Bible at
some point in the past year. Most of those people read at least monthly, and a
substantial number—9% of all Americans—read the Bible daily. 

-Despite the proliferation of Bible translations, the King James Version is the top choice—
and by a wide margin—of Bible readers. [55% read the KJV, the next closest is the NIV with 19%]

-Half of those who read the Bible in the past year also committed scripture to memory

-56% of women and 39% of men said they read scripture individually in the past year. 

-15% of those who have not read any scripture in the
past year still think the Bible is the “inerrant Word of God,” and another 50% of those who have
not read scripture think of the Bible as the “divinely inspired Word of God.” In other words,
two-thirds of Americans who do not read any scripture still have a very high view of the Bible.

-Interestingly, of KJV readers, 53% responded that the Bible is the literal word of God, while only
39% of NIV readers agreed with this statement

-Yet the continued prevalence of the KJV, despite the welter of up-to-date competitors, is a
major finding, according to project advisor Mark Noll. “Although the bookstores are now
crowded with alternative versions, and although several different translations are now widely
used in church services and for preaching, the large presence of the KJV testifies to the
extraordinary power of this one classic English text,” Professor Noll commented. “It also raises
most interesting questions about the role of religious and linguistic tradition in the make-up of
contemporary American culture.” Project advisor Sylvester Johnson also remarked on the
peculiar cultural power of the King James Bible, noting that its language seems to function for
many Americans as “a type of lingua sacra or sacred dialect.”

Yes JrChurch, very, in spite of the nay-sayers, the old Book is still the common man's book.

Great post Bro Brennan, thanks for the link. I plan to read the article in full soon.

It is interesting that you would quote Noll as authoritative...

I doubt CT would have the same problems with Noll that you would. Granted,  I think every Christian should read his Scandal of the Evangelical Mind

But then if I recall, it was a CT book of the year.

I too read the KJV 1611 most of the time.

As I have stated before my soft red leather bound First edition (he Bible) KJV 1611 is my favorite Bible

translation.  I feel so close to Bancroft, Smith and Bilson as I read from its beautiful creamy pages.

It has some of the most elegant and historic type as well as excellently reproduced art work.

http://greatsite.com/facsimile-reproductions/kingjames-1611.html

Best of all it is not horribly mutilated as are most modern KJVs printed now.

How can one claim to have a real KJV when it has been stripped of many of its historical writings is

incomprehensible to me.

One of the problems I have with modern Bibles such as the KJV, NASB, NIV and NLT is the removal

of whole books that are in my KJV1611 1st edition.

Rev 22:19 warns against taking "away from the words of the book of this prophecy".

http://sceti.library.upenn.edu/sceti/printedbooksNew/index.cfm?TextID=kjbible&PagePosition=1504

I love to read Bel and the Dragon.

http://sceti.library.upenn.edu/sceti/printedbooksNew/index.cfm?TextID=kjbible&PagePosition=1156

The prayer of Manassess.

http://sceti.library.upenn.edu/sceti/printedbooksNew/index.cfm?TextID=kjbible&PagePosition=1158

I love to read of Jewish history totally lacking in the modern versions as well as modern KJVs.

http://sceti.library.upenn.edu/sceti/printedbooksNew/index.cfm?TextID=kjbible&PagePosition=1159

Modern MOG types should read Suzanna, maybe they would learn that immorality has a bitter end,

even for religious types.

http://sceti.library.upenn.edu/sceti/printedbooksNew/index.cfm?TextID=kjbible&PagePosition=1154

Well I can not say enough good about the good old KJV1611 1st edition. The old paths.

It has so much more to offer than the modern stripped down Bibles.

I own a good many translations, and may read any of them, depending. But mostly I prefer the ESV, NRSV and N.T. Wright's Kingdom New Testament (that's a brand new one). 

The KJV I mostly save for Psalms, because its literary style works really well there.

ESV, NIV,NLT,... We use the ESV at out church and for personal study, I'll use all three. I have my oldest boy(8), read out of the NLT.

Izdaari said:
I own a good many translations, and may read any of them, depending. But mostly I prefer the ESV, NRSV and N.T. Wright's Kingdom New Testament (that's a brand new one). 

The KJV I mostly save for Psalms, because its literary style works really well there.

I think its "literary style" works very well from cover to cover.

That "iterary style"sets it apart from all the other books & material I read through out the week. It also reminds me it's not just any old book i'm reading & who the author is!

Still read it.  Though I do occasionally use a variety of tools, including other reputable versions, as study helps.

Tom Brennan said:
noting that its language seems to function for
many Americans as “a type of lingua sacra or sacred dialect.”

This is the key point of the entire article.....and the main reason so many still embrace the KJV with all its "flaws".

Western culture has fallen into the trap set in place by Greek philosophy. The "excellency of speech" seen in the KJV is an illusion. Accuracy is the most important aspect of presenting the Scriptures. Always has been... and always will be. Let me remind you of some words from the KJV.

1Co 2:1  And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
1Co 2:2  For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
1Co 2:3  And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
1Co 2:4  And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
1Co 2:5  That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
1Co 2:6  Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:
1Co 2:7  But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

The desire for so many to cling to the "excellency of speech" found in the KJV, has "lead captive the simple minded" in believe the "good old book" is better... because it...

SOUNDS BETTER!!!!

It reminds me of  how a child learns a new word and has to promptly begin using it over and over to convince other people of their intelligence.

Sorry, I got past the "excellency of speech" in the KJV a long time ago. I'm not looking to read a novel to be captivated by its "words". I want to know the "Truth". Most of the time, the Truth is found in the simplest of speech.

To put in the common language from my southern roots.....

"Million dollar words" don't impress me much.

I'll take accurate.....simple words... simply presented.

The KJV is the only Bible you can buy at the dollar store....which probably has a lot to do with those stats.

Exell said:
The KJV is the only Bible you can buy at the dollar store....which probably has a lot to do with those stats.

???  ???  ???

Exell said:

Actually, the NIV has outsold the KJV since 1986, which only makes the preponderance of KJV use to be even more interesting. The authors of the report are careful to point that out.

Tom Brennan said:
Exell said:

Actually, the NIV has outsold the KJV since 1986, which only makes the preponderance of KJV use to be even more interesting. The authors of the report are careful to point that out.

Is that major KJV publishers only?