Do you have any good recommendation for Recipe software?

ALAYMAN

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
My wife wants to compile her recipes and organize them, and other stuff.  Any folk here have some software you use for such purposes?

Thanks.

ALAYMAN said:
My wife wants to compile her recipes and organize them, and other stuff.  Any folk here have some software you use for such purposes?

Thanks.

Works for Windows, MS Office, Open Office or Libre Office should have something that will do that. 

If she doesn't mind online, there's a site called myrecipes.com that lets you do that for free.
There are several software programs. I have used Mastercook, and I like it, but it's around $30.

Raine said:
If she doesn't mind online, there's a site called myrecipes.com that lets you do that for free.
There are several software programs. I have used Mastercook, and I like it, but it's around $30.

Thanks, while doing some quick research online I came across Mastercook, Home Cookin: Easy to Use Software with a Recipe Database, Grocery Manager, and Meal Planning Calendar, as well as  Matilda's Fantastic Cookbook.

What would you say the strong and weak points of Mastercook?

The strong parts are that it's very easy to use, makes grocery lists, and things like that. It's also very popular, so there are many recipes and lots of whole cookbooks available online for free to add into it. There is also a way to copy recipes directly from Internet Explorer to the program, but I don't use it because there is no plugin for Chrome.

For weak points, there direct support isn't that great and there seems to be some issues with newer versions running on Windows 7 and Vista. I use version 9 and had to change where it was installed because Windows user account control wasn't wanting to let me make changes. There are forums and a Yahoo group for users that can be pretty helpful for problem solving and for finding cookbooks and recipes, but the official support is lacking. I also had trouble figuring out how to send recipes by email.