Do you identify as a Fundamental Baptist

Do you use the labels (select all that apply)

• Fundamentalist

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Baptist

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Neither (please explain in comments)

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
Again, so what? At least those have the gumption to stand for what they believe. (Yes, yes, the libs do to)

Most anyone will stand for what they believe. That's not anything "special" to admire. That is why the bible says... "as a man thinks in his heart, so is he".....

I'm actually curious to hear more about this.

In what ways would Lancaster be considered more liberal?

I believe Paul Chappell is a graduate of Hyles Anderson College. I thought First baptist Church of Hammond and Lancaster Baptist Church agree doctrinally?

Ralph "Yankee" Arnold has praised men like Jack Hyles many times, so I'm surprised he does not identify himself as "IFB".

Ralph "Yankee" Arnold has praised men like Jack Hyles many times, so I'm surprised he does not identify himself as "IFB".
Did he praise what he did right or what he did wrong.

I actually attended P. Arnold's Bible College for a time, and I know graduates of it who were fellow students of mine, one of whom is a Pastor serving at the same church as P. Arnold right now. He straight up told UGC on our Podcast that they do not identify as IFB because of all the legalism in the IFB:

Also, from the examples I hear on the Preacher Boys Podcast, P. Arnold's church was nothing like those. The ex-IFB guests on that podcast often claim "the IFB churches are all the same". Well, P. Arnold's church was nothing like those they described, therefore that alone sets it in a different category.

I recommend looking into Dr. Tom Cucuzza's church, as he graduated from the same college as Pastor Arnold (the original Florida Bible College). if you watch P. Cucuzza's sermon's and see the style of his church, it's absolutely nothing like the IFB. Not even CLOSE.

He straight up told UGC on our Podcast that they do not identify as IFB because of all the legalism in the IFB:

Perhaps he should not make a broad-sweeping unproven over-generalization about all local independent fundamental Baptist churches. There are many differences in the many varying IFB local churches. IFB churches are not all the same.

Perhaps legalism is more of a problem in those local IFB churches who advocate the man-made, non-scriptural KJV-only teaching. It is in KJV-only churches that I have observed more legalistic preaching.

Last edited:
Perhaps he should not make a broad-sweeping unproven over-generalization about all local independent fundamental Baptist churches.
Who, all those who went on the Preacher Boys Podcast?

I don't use or put forth either term, but certainly wouldn't object to them if applied to me. I'm just a disciple of Jesus Christ the King. The sign outside of our meeting house does say "Baptist" on it.

Up until 2003, I used the term “Baptist” and “Fundamentalist” of myself.

I graduated from a Fundamental Baptist College (1988 BA Maranatha) Fundamental Baptist Seminary (1995 MDiv Detroit).

I served as an associate pastor in three independent fundamental Baptist churches from 1988 until 2003.

I was on the board of a church planting Association of fundamental Baptist churches for a number of years during that time

I say all that to share my background in that I have a strong understanding of what fundamental Baptists are and who they are.

So what happened? I went into church planting in 2003. In our part of Michigan, the “Tom Malone” style of Baptist could be found in nearly every town. The name “Baptist” lost all resemblance of Baptists, historically. “Fundamental” was also a term that people didn’t know (or had other ideas about).

We just called ourselves a “Bible church.” That meant, our Fundamental Baptist brethren were very critical of us and we were not a part of any fellowships. Oh well.

FSSL, I went to Midwestern for some summer courses back in the 70s . The sad thing about Tom Malone was he didn't prepare his church or college when he died. He had no plans for when he was gone this is sad. I loved to listen to Tom Malone preach.