Do you live in a house or a tent?

theophilus

Elect
Reaction score
The house of the wicked will be destroyed, but the tent of the upright will flourish.
Proverbs 14:11 ESV

The wicked are said to live in houses while the upright live in tents.  A house is a permanent dwelling place.  A tent is normally used as a temporary shelter for someone who is away from his permanent home.  This illustrates an important difference between Christians and unbelievers.  The unsaved person is at home in this world but when someone is saved by faith in Christ his home is no longer earth but heaven.

Our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.
Philippians 3:20 ESV

We remain in the world but now our status is that of a temporary resident rather than permanent citizen.

Living in a house makes it convenient for a person to acquire possessions because he has a place to keep them.  Houses usually have closets, basements, and attics that can be used to store things when they aren’t being used.  But having too many possessions can create problems for someone who is staying in a tent.  He has no convenient place to put them and when he moves his tent he will have to leave some of his property behind if he has more that he can carry with him.  That is why Jesus told his followers that they should store up treasure in heaven rather than on earth.  It makes perfect sense that our wealth should be kept where our permanent home is.

If you look at just the present circumstances in which we live it often seems as if the wicked are better off than Christians are.  They fit into our society and often find it easy to acquire the things that make life more comfortable.  But things won’t always go on as they are now because we will eventually have to face God’s judgment of our lives.

When God acts the results are often the opposite of what we would expect.  Normally we think of a house as being stronger than a tent and being better able to stand up to adverse situations.  But contrary to what we would expect it is the house rather than the tent which is destroyed.

Each person needs to examine his life and ask himself this question: Do I live in a house or a tent?

Right now I live in a house.  If I don't get a job soon, I'll be living in a tent. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
Right now I live in a house.  If I don't get a job soon, I'll be living in a tent.

We used to dream of living in a tent

subllibrm said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

Depends if I am hunting or not!

admin said:
LOL! That was good!

I don't live in a house or tent. I am living on an island in a RV. I would never own another house again!

Please expound on this a little more as to your reasons. We have an rv, my wife is traveling down south, and she says we should sell everything and go live in the rv. I know she would be happy there for about a month.

subllibrm said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

Luxury!

We used to live in a shoebox, in the middle of the road, 150 of us!

theophilus said:
The house of the wicked will be destroyed, but the tent of the upright will flourish.
Proverbs 14:11 ESV

The wicked are said to live in houses while the upright live in tents.  A house is a permanent dwelling place.  A tent is normally used as a temporary shelter for someone who is away from his permanent home.  This illustrates an important difference between Christians and unbelievers.  The unsaved person is at home in this world but when someone is saved by faith in Christ his home is no longer earth but heaven.

Our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.
Philippians 3:20 ESV

We remain in the world but now our status is that of a temporary resident rather than permanent citizen.

Living in a house makes it convenient for a person to acquire possessions because he has a place to keep them.  Houses usually have closets, basements, and attics that can be used to store things when they aren’t being used.  But having too many possessions can create problems for someone who is staying in a tent.  He has no convenient place to put them and when he moves his tent he will have to leave some of his property behind if he has more that he can carry with him.  That is why Jesus told his followers that they should store up treasure in heaven rather than on earth.  It makes perfect sense that our wealth should be kept where our permanent home is.

If you look at just the present circumstances in which we live it often seems as if the wicked are better off than Christians are.  They fit into our society and often find it easy to acquire the things that make life more comfortable.  But things won’t always go on as they are now because we will eventually have to face God’s judgment of our lives.

When God acts the results are often the opposite of what we would expect.  Normally we think of a house as being stronger than a tent and being better able to stand up to adverse situations.  But contrary to what we would expect it is the house rather than the tent which is destroyed.

Each person needs to examine his life and ask himself this question: Do I live in a house or a tent?

I live in a van... DOWN by the RIVER!

The Rogue Tomato said:
subllibrm said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

Makes me hungry for spam.

Holy Mole said:
subllibrm said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

Luxury!

It was a hole in the ground covered with a tarpaulin but it was home to us.

I live a a 4,000 sq.ft. home that sits on 108 acres. 

subllibrm said:
Holy Mole said:
subllibrm said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

Luxury!

It was a hole in the ground covered with a tarpaulin but it was home to us.

At least you had a hole. We had to live in a rolled up newspaper in a septic tank.