Do you still attend church?

Still There

Elect
Reaction score
I haven't been to church in a few weeks and honestly, I haven't missed it.  I've talked to other people about this and they also mentioned they just quit going.  I thought it was only me.  No ones checked on me to find out why, but that's okay.  I think I've read on a few posts back about people attending one or two services a week.  And I was surprised how many still attend all 3 services.  What's changed that old timers like me are quitting?  And I've even seen the kids just graduating christian schools not returning to the churches.  Are people just not wanting church a part of their life anymore?  I don't want your criticism.  What's changed?

You stinkin' deadbeat!  (JK)

You ask several different questions in your one.  I think old-timers are tired of the production that church has become.  It isn't really church anymore, it is a show - and a bad one at that.  The kids don't really have a desire for spiritual things.  Some have been hurt and are tired of being hurt by these people who pretend to be representing God.

What type of church do you attend?  What I mean by that is, is it a Hyles type church? Or do you attend another type church inside the IFB?

Binaca Chugger said:

I think old-timers are tired of the production that church has become.  It isn't really church anymore, it is a show - and a bad one at that. 

I was just talking to a pastor last night about our former church and used the word "show" to describe it.  The bigger the church, the bigger the show.  I have zero doubt that this is not what our Lord or the apostle Paul thought the local assembly should be like.

I think old timers might be tired of the double standards. I would rather not know what is going on behind the scene at church. It would only frustrate me to see anything I would disagree with.  So I go to church, enjoy the preaching and get involved if I feel like it!

IFB X-Files said:
Binaca Chugger said:

I think old-timers are tired of the production that church has become.  It isn't really church anymore, it is a show - and a bad one at that. 

I was just talking to a pastor last night about our former church and used the word "show" to describe it.  The bigger the church, the bigger the show.  I have zero doubt that this is what our Lord or the apostle Paul thought the local assembly should be like.

Was that a typo?  A production, performance or show is what you think God wants from the church?

Nope, I have not attended church in years. But if I did I would visit TB, T Bone and maybe the young whipper snapper from The Crown College.

Bruh said:
What type of church do you attend?  What I mean by that is, is it a Hyles type church? Or do you attend another type church inside the IFB?

Yes, it is a Hyles type church.  I've been in it for a long time and the luster has been lost.  And, I don't have the energy to get up and find another church because I hear other people talk about how they've left their church because they were tired or they left disgruntled and are so unhappy.  I'm not unhappy, I've just lost the luster of the church.

Still There said:
I haven't been to church in a few weeks and honestly, I haven't missed it.  I've talked to other people about this and they also mentioned they just quit going.  I thought it was only me.  No ones checked on me to find out why, but that's okay.  I think I've read on a few posts back about people attending one or two services a week.  And I was surprised how many still attend all 3 services.  What's changed that old timers like me are quitting?  And I've even seen the kids just graduating christian schools not returning to the churches.  Are people just not wanting church a part of their life anymore?  I don't want your criticism.  What's changed?

With the little I have to go on I think your situation is akin to someone who has been nutritionally deprived for a lengthy period while at the same time being overworked by a hypocritical taskmaster. At some point you wake up and realize your will to go on is gone. It didn't leave suddenly. It was a long slow leak that you've only recently noticed.

...but there's still nothing wrong with Jesus, and I would gently point you in His direction. He is still the I Am God who can supply all your needs.

Binaca Chugger said:

You ask several different questions in your one.  I think old-timers are tired of the production that church has become.  It isn't really church anymore, it is a show - and a bad one at that.  The kids don't really have a desire for spiritual things.  Some have been hurt and are tired of being hurt by these people who pretend to be representing God.

great point

Tom Brennan said:
Still There said:

With the little I have to go on I think your situation is akin to someone who has been nutritionally deprived for a lengthy period while at the same time being overworked by a hypocritical taskmaster. At some point you wake up and realize your will to go on is gone. It didn't leave suddenly. It was a long slow leak that you've only recently noticed.

...but there's still nothing wrong with Jesus, and I would gently point you in His direction. He is still the I Am God who can supply all your needs.

I'm on my way to Heave and I'm 100% sure, God is still there, has nothing to do with that.  I guess as I said earlier, the luster of the Baptist church is gone.  It's mundaine and routine anymore.  There's no spirit in the church anymore.  I don't get that thrill of coming to church like I used to and so it's a spiritual fight every Sunday morning to go. 

Still There said:
Bruh said:

Yes, it is a Hyles type church.  I've been in it for a long time and the luster has been lost.  And, I don't have the energy to get up and find another church because I hear other people talk about how they've left their church because they were tired or they left disgruntled and are so unhappy.  I'm not unhappy, I've just lost the luster of the church.

This sounds like me! I have been where you are now and all I can tell you is what has worked for me.
I went to hac and had been a fbch member for over 25 years. My disillusionment actually started when Jack Hyles was yet alive for a couple of reasons that are not all that important. I continued to go and was active in my various ministries. Jack Schaap was and is a brilliant man but also kind of a fruitcake. I continued to go and work but church was drudgery and every Sunday I would just cringe at the thought of having to sit in the church services. I started teaching SS and then leaving right after.

I had started a small business in the construction trades and for the first time in my life I was doing fairly well financially. Not wealthy by any means but there were a couple of years when I made $100,000.00. House nearly paid off and putting money away for retirement. In the past seven years I have seen all of that gone up in smoke and for the life of me I can't see where any of it was my fault. The economy and especially construction nosedived. I saw building contractors who lost everything.

I continued to struggle along and every time I went to church I would just feel like I was getting beaten up. Schaap would scream about how when God gave the great commission that He didn't say to do your best. We were just to do it. Kimmel would always spout off about how successful he was and how he was blessed by God because he was so generous and such a great giver. I knew better even back then.

A year ago in July when Schaap preached his infamous sermon about what parents don't know I decided I had had enough. I wasn't going back. Since then I have started going to another church which is a little different than fbch. After nearly a year I have come to enjoy church so much and cannot wait to get back!

One of the problems is these people who have hijacked fundamentalism and took the name that once stood against those who would destroy these fundamentals and turned it around to mean that we stand against ANYONE who is not just like me. Because of years of this kind of indoctrination where you are taught that this church is the greatest since the church at Jerusalem, people are afraid to go anywhere else because, just like me, you think to yourself, "What else is there?"

One of the greatest, and hardest, is to see the focus of church go from being very man centered; What you do, What you don't do, How much you are doing, How little you are doing, Do more, Be more, Give more, Pray more, More soul-winning, More ministry, etc. to a very Christ-Centered church where it is much more 'All About Him'.

Still There said:
  I guess as I said earlier, the luster of the Baptist church is gone.  It's mundaine and routine anymore.  There's no spirit in the church anymore.  I don't get that thrill of coming to church like I used to and so it's a spiritual fight every Sunday morning to go.

...been through that in a marriage too? (Not trying to whack you; just trying to point out the similarities, and thus potential causes/remedies.)

BALAAM said:
One of the greatest, and hardest, is to see the focus of church go from being very man centered; What you do, What you don't do, How much you are doing, How little you are doing, Do more, Be more, Give more, Pray more, More soul-winning, More ministry, etc. to a very Christ-Centered church where it is much more 'All About Him'.

C'mon!  Just take another swig of your Binaca, shine your Florsheims, put some tracts in your pocket and keep on keepin' on! 

BALAAM said:
One of the problems is these people who have hijacked fundamentalism and took the name that once stood against those who would destroy these fundamentals and turned it around to mean that we stand against ANYONE who is not just like me. Because of years of this kind of indoctrination where you are taught that this church is the greatest since the church at Jerusalem, people are afraid to go anywhere else because, just like me, you think to yourself, "What else is there?"

WHAT!?!  Greatest since the church at Jerusalem!  Pshaw!  Jerusalem is only JEALOUS of FBCH.  Our church was greater and we know that because we were told so and I dare anyone to have a higher knowledge than the MOG.

After I left my former IFBx church, I literally had to drag myself to a new church. I was burned out and oh, so done with the whole circus.  I found a church that was not teaching works, works, works; a place that did not run people into the ground; a church where the pastor was not the final authority over everything and everyone. Over time I have found there are things I do not agree with, but also that no one tries to skewer me for disagreeing. That was a cool discovery. It was then I had to try to learn to accept their differences too... This pastor really preaches about God's grace - not the warped IFBxer version of it. The first few weeks after leaving LBC, I would tear up listening to sermons - it was like a salve on my wounds.

I will never be in the in crowd of a church again - trust me on that. Not going to be doing multiple ministries and living some crazy church schedule. I have no desire to become good friends with the pastoral staff and families (although my kid is trying to sabotage this effort ;D ).

Be patient with yourself. You have gone through a lot. I do not know what churches are available in your area, but you might find a non-denom, Southern Baptist, Calvary Chapel, or Presby Church to be a better fit for you.

AmazedbyGrace said:
After I left my former IFBx church, I literally had to drag myself to a new church. I was burned out and oh, so done with the whole circus.  I found a church that was not teaching works, works, works; a place that did not run people into the ground; a church where the pastor was not the final authority over everything and everyone. Over time I have found there are things I do not agree with, but also that no one tries to skewer me for disagreeing. That was a cool discovery. It was then I had to try to learn to accept their differences too... This pastor really preaches about God's grace - not the warped IFBxer version of it. The first few weeks after leaving LBC, I would tear up listening to sermons - it was like a salve on my wounds.

I will never be in the inner circle of a church again - trust me on that. Not going to be doing multiple ministries and living some crazy church schedule. I have no desire to become good friends with the pastoral staff and families (although my kid is trying to sabotage this effort ;D ).

Be patient with yourself. You have gone through a lot. I do not know what churches are available in your area, but you might find a non-denom, Southern Baptist, Calvary Chapel, or Presby Church to be a better fit for you.

Interesting.

I am trying to find a fundamentalist in doctrine, non-CCM, KJV, soul-winning church that does not use tools of manipulation or performance based Christianity.  The church I am seeking is open about their finances and teaches the Bible, rather than ranting about people who don't like my interpretation of the Bible.  Problem is......I don't think such a place exists.

Binaca Chugger said:
Interesting.

I am trying to find a fundamentalist in doctrine, non-CCM, KJV, soul-winning church that does not use tools of manipulation or performance based Christianity.  The church I am seeking is open about their finances and teaches the Bible, rather than ranting about people who don't like my interpretation of the Bible.  Problem is......I don't think such a place exists.
Keep looking, BC, because I am in such a church.  I absolutely love it and look forward to every service.  Actually, I've been a member of 8 churches in every corner of the country and they have been wonderful.  They are out there!

Binaca Chugger said:
IFB X-Files said:
Binaca Chugger said:

I was just talking to a pastor last night about our former church and used the word "show" to describe it.  The bigger the church, the bigger the show.  I have zero doubt that this is not what our Lord or the apostle Paul thought the local assembly should be like.

Was that a typo?  A production, performance or show is what you think God wants from the church?

You leave out a little word and folks jump all over you!  Thanks for pointing that out.

I just read Bob Gray's blog and in his blog he calls John MacArthur a liberal and CS Lewis a liberal. Now when you have been raised on this kind of pig slop your entire life and come to accept it as true, you will very likely drop out of church if you become disillusioned rather than going to another one. I mean, this ifbx church is the ONLY one and all the others are liberal and don't believe the Bible. Right?

Everyone on this forum may have differences with MacArthur or Lewis but they are definitely not theological liberals. Guys like Gray and his ilk have hijacked baptist fundamentalism. They have changed the words and meanings.

We all know that fundamental baptists are known for waving their kjv bibles over their head and shouting amen when the speaker claims to believe in its inspiration, right? I am just reading a lesson plan from another church for training any prospective leaders. Now they aren't kjv only and yet here is what they say about the Bible. I am going to paraphrase here because it is not in front of me. They say that our belief is that the scriptures have a primary interpretation that is objective. We do not believe that it is right to take the scriptures and make it say what we want it to say. They then go on to explain the secularist view of the bible and dog-gone if that view doesn't sound like most ifbx folks then I don't know what does.

They say that the secularist view of the Bible is that it has no hard and fast meaning but that everything in it is subjective and each passage  can have an unlimited amount of meanings. If this is true, and it is, then the REAL liberals are guys like Gray, Domelle, Hyles, etc. because much of the Bible has no definite and concrete meaning but can be used for whatever they feel "led" to preach.