Do you think Eddie L

16KJV11 said:
GeneFrenkle said:
EL -I think- was one of the biggest problems at FBCH since the Dave Hyles days.  He has been within arm's distance of almost every scandal that's happened there. 

And Bob Marshall "started" a church?  You mean "lead a split"...even if friendly.  He has started nothing but rode coattails the entire time.
If friendly, I applaud him.  He gets to find out what real ministry is all about.
If he led a split of people who live in St. John area...good for them!
It takes an hour to get to downtown Hammond from St.John now.
And I'm sure people had their reasons for going.
He'll have to put up or shut up now...and frankly,  I think he can put up.
Just my $.02

Taking a group of 20-50 people from another church with you is hardly called starting a new church plant.  JW may be happy for him and maybe FBCH should have divided into 100 different local churches long ago.  Just dont compare this to the work of a church planter who goes to a new area and begins proselytizing to build a new church plant.

Binaca Chugger said:
Taking a group of 20-50 people from another church with you is hardly called starting a new church plant.  JW may be happy for him and maybe FBCH should have divided into 100 different local churches long ago.  Just dont compare this to the work of a church planter who goes to a new area and begins proselytizing to build a new church plant.

With 20/20 hindsight, FBC breaking up into 10 to 15 churches after Jack Hyles died would have been a good thing.  But then we would have had to give up our false beliefs about FBC being the greatest church since the book of Acts, and proving that Jack Hyles was the greatest Christian since Paul.  At the time we said it was all about Jesus as we made it all about us.

I think it was the other way around, Schaap was riding the coattails of Marshall and others that did the work rather than sitting back and giving the orders.  Those of us that that have been members there or employees have seen the late nights before Pastor's school setting up rooms, cleaning an auditorium, etc and I can recall seeing folks like Marshall in jeans pushing a vacuum, hanging a sign helping with decorating, etc.  Same for big days, individual adult Sunday School classes.....

Schaap....not so much.

I think most of the folks that left with Marshall were people that he personally helped get int FBCH and were in his adult Sunday School class.  Would not consider it a split by any means...maybe a splinter.  Glad he left the machine and think he is probably like most that left, better off because of it.

qwerty said:
I think it was the other way around, Schaap was riding the coattails of Marshall and others that did the work rather than sitting back and giving the orders.  Those of us that that have been members there or employees have seen the late nights before Pastor's school setting up rooms, cleaning an auditorium, etc and I can recall seeing folks like Marshall in jeans pushing a vacuum, hanging a sign helping with decorating, etc.  Same for big days, individual adult Sunday School classes.....

Schaap....not so much.

I think most of the folks that left with Marshall were people that he personally helped get int FBCH and were in his adult Sunday School class.  Would not consider it a split by any means...maybe a splinter.  Glad he left the machine and think he is probably like most that left, better off because of it.
You said it better, but this is what I meant by I think Bob can "put up".

prophet said:
qwerty said:

Schaap....not so much.

You said it better, but this is what I meant by I think Bob can "put up".

I hope so.  But I agree wholeheartedly with Bianca Chugger, "Just dont compare this to the work of a church planter who goes to a new area and begins proselytizing to build a new church plant".

I took Bob Marshall's class on starting a church.  Worst class during my time there.  He read statements off a laptop and we just wrote them down in our notebooks.  Our class and test scores relied on how well we could regurgitate these statements.

A couple years ago, I visited FBC and went in to talk to JS.  Had no idea of the scandal he had going on.  It was just a couple months before he was caught.  I had a question about my ministry and how to get it past a certain "step" I was facing.  He told me, "You need to talk to Bob Marshall".  And also gave me the names of others who had "started" churches out of FBC in the area.  They had not started churches, they were ministries of FBC...with people, money, and support supplied by FBC.  I'm not against this AT ALL; in some ways I envy it.  But let's just be honest that it's not starting a church.  Those people never had to face any of the issues that I had to face from starting a church from scratch.  I left JS's office thinking, "This guy doesn't get it".  Looking back, I guess he had a "lot going on". 

Christ Way Baptist Church is growing every Sunday.  We have visitors (not FBC) every week.  We had our first Lord's Supper yesterday and what a wonderful spirit was in the service yesterday (Sunday, January 4, 2015).  Bob preached a wonderful message and many people were down at the alter praying.  I believe we had 87 in attendance.  The building we are in has been given by God and is meeting our needs.  It is not the Bob Marshall church, but Christ Way Baptist Church.  We have a junior church which is lead by Matt & Amy Sheehy and Master's Club in the afternoon lead by Nate & Rebecca Cavendar.  If you want to come and see how the church is doing, come on down! 

Still There said:
Christ Way Baptist Church is growing every Sunday.  We have visitors (not FBC) every week.  We had our first Lord's Supper yesterday and what a wonderful spirit was in the service yesterday (Sunday, January 4, 2015).  Bob preached a wonderful message and many people were down at the alter praying.  I believe we had 87 in attendance.  The building we are in has been given by God and is meeting our needs.  It is not the Bob Marshall church, but Christ Way Baptist Church.  We have a junior church which is lead by Matt & Amy Sheehy and Master's Club in the afternoon lead by Nate & Rebecca Cavendar.  If you want to come and see how the church is doing, come on down!

Still There, I wish you well; please don't take this as a personal attack.  It is merely that this post is such a perfect example of why, though Hyles is dead, the problems he created are still with us.  The Hyles (numbers=success=God's blessing) is evident everywhere:

growing every Sunday ("we are a success").  It is God that adds to the church - praise Him in the added member times, praise Him when the numbers and steady, and people growing in the Lord, and praise Him in the declining times.
87 in attendance ("we are a success" - God doesn't like it when people number how well they are doing; how about "good" attendance, and not be so obsessed with numbers?)
Bob preached a wonderful message (I'm glad you thought so, but I've seen far too many messages called "wonderful" and "great" when the messages were not Biblically based and did not lift up the Savior.  I trust that Bob's message both exalted Christ and was based on the Bible)
many people were down at the altar praying ("we are a success").  Hyles' teaching that people go down front just to exalt the pastor has really turned me off to this practice.  The REAL measure is when God uses a message to actually have a person determine to change his life).

I'm happy that you are growing; I trust that it is healthy growth and pray that CWBC will exist for many years, exalting the Savior.

To repeat what I said earlier, I've nothing against "Still There" or CWBC - this post was just a perfect example of the pragmatism "success orientation" that is so hard to separate from.

"What do ye?" And they said unto him, "Hold thy peace, lay thine hand upon thy month, and go with us, and be to us a father and a priest: is it better for thee to be a priest unto the house of one man, or that thou be a priest unto a tribe and a family in Israel?"  ~ Judges 18

For the life of me I can't figure out who CW is....

Still There said:

Thank you for proving my point.  Taking a group of mature Christians across town to a better location is not quite the same as what we were taught to do for church planting.  It might be a very effective model, but it is the anti-thesis of what was taught for decades.  I recall the Pastor's School on Sunday School where Jeff Owens was the main day time speaker.  Jeff was telling pastors from across America how to build a successful adult Sunday School class.  While Jeff had some good ideas, lets be honest, the growth of his class came from his location.  No pastor across America could expect the same results.  Same is different.  Bob Marshall might be a nice guy and all, but I am not anxiously awaiting his new book on how to start a church.  Taking a group of long time Christian workers across town is not quite the same as the method we were told to take - you and your family go to a city where you know no one with no financial support and just do it.

Walt said:
Still There said:

Still There, I wish you well; please don't take this as a personal attack.  It is merely that this post is such a perfect example of why, though Hyles is dead, the problems he created are still with us.  The Hyles (numbers=success=God's blessing) is evident everywhere:

growing every Sunday ("we are a success").  It is God that adds to the church - praise Him in the added member times, praise Him when the numbers and steady, and people growing in the Lord, and praise Him in the declining times.
87 in attendance ("we are a success" - God doesn't like it when people number how well they are doing; how about "good" attendance, and not be so obsessed with numbers?)
Bob preached a wonderful message (I'm glad you thought so, but I've seen far too many messages called "wonderful" and "great" when the messages were not Biblically based and did not lift up the Savior.  I trust that Bob's message both exalted Christ and was based on the Bible)
many people were down at the altar praying ("we are a success").  Hyles' teaching that people go down front just to exalt the pastor has really turned me off to this practice.  The REAL measure is when God uses a message to actually have a person determine to change his life).

I'm happy that you are growing; I trust that it is healthy growth and pray that CWBC will exist for many years, exalting the Savior.

To repeat what I said earlier, I've nothing against "Still There" or CWBC - this post was just a perfect example of the pragmatism "success orientation" that is so hard to separate from.

Binaca Chugger said:
Still There said:

Thank you for proving my point.  Taking a group of mature Christians across town to a better location is not quite the same as what we were taught to do for church planting.  It might be a very effective model, but it is the anti-thesis of what was taught for decades.  I recall the Pastor's School on Sunday School where Jeff Owens was the main day time speaker.  Jeff was telling pastors from across America how to build a successful adult Sunday School class.  While Jeff had some good ideas, lets be honest, the growth of his class came from his location.  No pastor across America could expect the same results.  Same is different.  Bob Marshall might be a nice guy and all, but I am not anxiously awaiting his new book on how to start a church.  Taking a group of long time Christian workers across town is not quite the same as the method we were told to take - you and your family go to a city where you know no one with no financial support and just do it.

Yes!

However, I will admit to carrying a tad bit of bitterness against him so if I said the same it might be personal.  But that's my problem to deal with.  :)

IF EL had even a SHRED of integrity he'd repent to the congregation and step down.

End of story, it's amazing that anyone there has any respect for that guy at this point.

Ex-Fundy said:
IF EL had even a SHRED of integrity he'd repent to the congregation and step down.

End of story, it's amazing that anyone there has any respect for that guy at this point.

I think Eddie believes the lies that he has told others. He put himself on the list of people to be laid off but miraculously he was not on the final list. As long as he is employed at FBC no one will truly trust the current pastor or deacon board.

Walt said:
I suspect that he is being blamed for the firing of 40 people under Schaap because he (EL) was supposed to be watching over the finances, but let Schaap do whatever he wanted because he was "The Authority" to whom one was supposed to obey without question.

Good ole Jack might of been a bit preoccupied with "other things" (namely the seventeen-year-old kind) to keep adequate watch over the finances.

I have no respect for el....and he knew exactly what was going on.....and he put himself on the list to be let go ....really!!

Is it just me but this makes me sick now to read ....