Does the IFB have a modern version of the Talmud?

Citadel of Truth

Elect
Reaction score
The Jews of Jesus' day had the idea that Moses descended from Mt Sinai with two sets of laws, one written on tablets and one intended to be passed on by oral tradition. Initially both were of equal value but eventually as the oral tradition was handed down from generation to generation, it became more binding than the written law of God until it was finally put into writing in a book called the Talmud.

These oral traditions included the teachings and interpretations of the religious leaders and rabbis over the years and were viewed as authoritative in governing even the most minute details of Jewish life. They were preserved orally, handed down from one generation to the next by scribes and experts in the law who memorized these oral laws. To the Pharisees the oral traditions were just as binding as the written text of Scripture.

There can be no denying that we today have Talmud-like practices. Do you think some take their extra-biblical practices so far as to even supersede the written Word of God?

[quote author=Citadel of Truth]Do you think some take their extra-biblical practices so far as to even supersede the written Word of God?
[/quote]

"The wine that Jesus made was non-alcoholic."

Without doubt IFBs have one.

It is more important to many than the written Word of God.

Some may call it old paths or some such buzz words.

They would be glad to use the dubious fleshly methods of a Charles Finney while not agreeing with his doctrine.

"It is ironic that Charles Grandison Finney has become a poster boy for so many modern evangelicals. His theology was far from evangelical. As a Christian leader, he was hardly the model of humility or spirituality. Even Finney's autobiography paints a questionable character. In his own retelling of his life's story, Finney comes across as stubborn, arrogant—and sometimes even a bit devious."

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/articles/finney.htm

Citadel of Truth said:
There can be no denying that we today have Talmud-like practices. Do you think some take their extra-biblical practices so far as to even supersede the written Word of God?

20120616-npbrxg3e9nbqt2jtdh2ger8276.jpg

bgwilkinson said:
Without doubt IFBs have one.

It is more important to many than the written Word of God.

Some may call it old paths or some such buzz words.

They would be glad to use the dubious fleshly methods of a Charles Finney while not agreeing with his doctrine.

"It is ironic that Charles Grandison Finney has become a poster boy for so many modern evangelicals. His theology was far from evangelical. As a Christian leader, he was hardly the model of humility or spirituality. Even Finney's autobiography paints a questionable character. In his own retelling of his life's story, Finney comes across as stubborn, arrogant—and sometimes even a bit devious."

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/articles/finney.htm
I still remember thinking "Why do we need to study the likes of Finney, Sunday, et al...why aren't we studying Baptists?"when I was a student at HAC.

[quote author=prophet]I still remember thinking "Why do we need to study the likes of Finney, Sunday, et al...why aren't we studying Baptists?"when I was a student at HAC.[/quote]

Because they didn't want to turn you into Calvinists. ;)

FSSL said:
Majesty Music borrows from those elements.
They want a student, let's say like my ex-uncle, Dennis Bugg, who showed up in '77, with my Aunt ,to serve in Music Ministry at BJU: to listen to queers like Mozart and Tchaikovsky, to develop spiritual discernment in music.

Since Col. says we teach each other in songs, I suppose old Dennis learned well from his queer music and queer piano teacher.  He left my Aunt, and her newborn son, and ran off with his male piano teacher, with all that new found discernment.
My Aunt stayed there faithfully for the next 35 years, producing music (for years they went to Southside with Garlock as the Music Director) for BJU (@ Soundforth), careful not to violate the system that enlightened her ex.
Then one day, they decided that her music tastes were stuck in the past, imagine that, so she walked.
At least she had been BJ3's secretary for years, so she had some experience to draw from, when she had to go start a career in "secular work", at 55.

Good thing they have that music thing nailed doen over there.

rsc2a said:
[quote author=prophet]I still remember thinking "Why do we need to study the likes of Finney, Sunday, et al...why aren't we studying Baptists?"when I was a student at HAC.

Because they didn't want to turn you into Calvinists. ;)
[/quote]
That is probably a lot closer to reality than you intended.
Since we rarely had a professor there who could teach his way out of a wet paper sack. And we had some of the most perverted people I have ever known as teachers there.  Chances are, that you are exactly right, they feared that they would lose the students to the strong intellectual pull from the Primitive Reformed Baptist Wing of the last 400 years.

I will admit, that we sold all of Surgeon's books, studied his life and minstry, and Hyles quoted him often publicly, so that puts the theory in a difficult position.
But the M.O. of "protecting us from disagreeing sources" was a S.O.P.
If someone mentioned Dispensations, in chapel, we would be warned about Ruckman the next week.

It was probably more about who would verify our methods (HAC was established to teach methods, not doctrine), and anyone who drew a crowd was lifted up as an example.

Joel Osteen should get an honorary doctorate then.  :D

rsc2a said:
Joel Osteen should get an honorary doctorate then.  :D
Schaap postulated that he and the other mega-mogs "must be doing something right, for God to bless them so abundantly".
He even went so far as to defend the pope as the leader of millions of Christians, who had a very tough position, and shouldn't be criticized since none of us could walk a mile in his shoes.

I would mostly agree with Schaap on that point.  I'm sure it is stressful to fill that role. As far as walking in his shoes, I struggle enough in my own; I don't want to to fill someone else's.

Most definately...the Hammond First Baptist Pulpit...all 3 volumes. Sold exclusively at garage sales and thrift stores near you.

Yes Hammond Baptist Pulpit is certainly Talmudic.

It's mostly Bro. Hyles philosophies, occasionally you might get some Bible truth.