donuts....

aleshanee

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
who doesn;t like donuts?....🍩 ..what are your favorites?.... ........if your sunday
school class is like mine then there are donuts and coffee there before every class
.... . in my class a different person is designated to bring the donuts each sunday
but our teacher provides the coffee... :coffee:.... ..the video below shows what has to
happen before the donuts can even exist for class... ...it;s about the
krispy kreme
brand but every donut anywere is made using the same basic methods and principles....

unfortunately we don;t have a krispy kreme factory or even a krispy kreme store on oahu
... and the most popular donut or pastry deserts here are the malasada and the coco-puff...

.....but my favorites brand is still duncan even though we have to go all the way to the
airport to get them.... .
(which is actually a good thing - coz if they were any closer i
would eat them more often than i should.... :sneaky:)

Last edited:
Hands down, apple fritters are my favorite. A close second would be "old fashioned".

Around here, we suffer from a lack of decent bakeries. The best one is at the local Rosauer's supermarket. They sell the "best" apple fritters in the valley but they are still a far cry from a truly good one. They do okay on some things but they aren't reliable; it's a crap shoot as to whether their deli or bakery will have what you want. Besides that, their bakery doesn't have anything up for sale until almost 6 am! A decent bakery has everything out for sale by 5.

There are small mom and pop bakeries here but they aren't very reliable. They typically open at 7 and don't carry the classic standards.

The best bakery in the entire PNW is a little place in Long Beach WA. They open at 4 AM. Their apple fritters are made the right way. They also sell buttermilk bars which are done up similar to old fashioned donuts. Those buttermilk bars are TDF!

Interesting you shared a Krispy Kreme video. Mrs. abcaines and I were in Spokane recently staying not far from the KK there. I decided to get a half dozen apple fritters for breakfast for us and the two other couples we were staying with. I was picking them up the night before, about 15 minutes before closing time. They were expensive. Apparently though, if you buy anything at KK just before closing time, you're likely going to walk out of the joint with a free dozen donuts. Just a shopping tip... 😎

The French cruller, aka the "tractor tire."

1024px-French-Cruller-Donut.jpg

We were living high on the hog when Mom brought home tractor tires from the grocery store. They didn't last very long - which is probably why she didn't buy them very often.

that looks amazing... .. i have never seen them here in hawaii.... ... but then traditional american/canadian
style donuts are not as popular in hawaii as portugese malasadas and coco-puffs.... .... .. ... which is one
reason there are no krispy kreme donut stores and only one dunkin donuts on this island........ ...

my favorite has always been the dunkin chocolate kreme filled pillow type donut covered in powered sugar..
... .which i was told dunkin stopped making in many parts of the mainland... . but it sells well at the one

store here so they always have them ready..... i could easily finish off a box of them any time if the
opportunity arose... .. which is why i;m glad it doesn;t very often....

DNkBIoYWFRZevnI-1600x900-noPad.jpeg

I looked up malasadas and they look pretty darn amazing.
here is a picture of the malasadas made at leonards bakery..... .. they are not bad... .just basically a sugar
coated sweet bread..... and that was the only way they came for over a hundred years.. ..but now they are
making some with jelly fillings and other kreme fillings... . in my opinion they are still not as good as duncan
kreme filled donuts... but i wouldn;t turn them down if offered one...😋

11579b6deef2da3e9d2d92078d85dbb0--space-oahu.jpeg

this is the famous coco puff from liliha bakery..... and i don;t understand
these things at all... and yet they are more popular than malasadas in most
parts of the island.... . i;m not fond of them and actually will turn them down
most of the time... . way too much sugar in them.... .. but they have also been
a favorite pastry in hawaii for well over 100 years.... ..

313a936d1511867aa49c681fcb7812ee.jpeg

here is a picture of the malasadas made at leonards bakery..... .. they are not bad... .just basically a sugar
coated sweet bread..... and that was the only way they came for over a hundred years.. ..but now they are
making some with jelly fillings and other kreme fillings...

The sugar-coated, jelly-filled yeast donut is a universal constant, I think. My roommate sometimes brings home a box of paczki that he's bought somewhere. Same thing, only Polish.

making some with jelly fillings and other kreme fillings... . in my opinion they are still not as good as duncan
kreme filled donuts... but i wouldn;t turn them down if offered one...😋

View attachment 5408

this is the famous coco puff from liliha bakery..... and i don;t understand
these things at all... and yet they are more popular than malasadas in most
parts of the island.... . i;m not fond of them and actually will turn them down
most of the time... . way too much sugar in them.... .. but they have also been
a favorite pastry in hawaii for well over 100 years.... ..

View attachment 5409
When I think of "coco puff" I'm trying to get past the General Mills cereal but I still picture something oozing with chocolate. The picture you posted looks like biscuits or dinner rolls with a dollop of lemon curd.

Ok I looked up coco puff and found the chocolate I was looking for. The frosting on top looks like it would be very sweet and eggy.

Last edited:
images.jpgIts Shipley Do-Nuts country here! Bavarian Creme is king but I also love the Old-Fashioned Glazed!

Does anyone else like to break off the outer edges and eat them first?

When I think of "coco puff" I'm trying to get past the General Mills cereal but I still picture something oozing with chocolate. The picture you posted looks like biscuits or dinner rolls with a dollop of lemon curd.

Ok I looked up coco puff and found the chocolate I was looking for. The frosting on top looks like it would be very sweet and eggy.
it;s actually a vanilla and coconut flavored frosting on top made mostly with sugar... .... in most of them there is more of that on top than there is chocolate on the inside.... ..and i have never really liked the taste of either one... nor the type of pastry they are packed in and piled on top of..... but i;m in the minority with that as most people here love coco-puffs.... a lot of different bakeries here make them - or their own version of them..... but liliha bakery is where everyone says the best and most original ones are made...

Mountain Tops (4th pic in the link), made by the original Portsmouth/Chillicothe Ohio Crispie Cream, are mine and ALAYWIFE's faves. Just looking at them has potential to put me into diabetic coma. 😋

I used to love KK...but, over the past few years one of the stores in our area got to where they just weren't quite right. For a good, long while after the "plandemic" they wouldn't allow customers to come into the store, wouldn't allow customers to pick their own donuts when ordering a dozen assorted, etc...there were complaints against the store, but, it seemed nothing was done. Now, three or four years later they're allowing people in and people to pick their donuts for the dozen assorted. They've lost a lot of customers here to other, smaller family bakeries, and I'm glad of it. I won't be buying my donuts from there, or from Duncan again.

3/4 lb cherry fritters are the best.
40 grams of fat and almost 1000 Calories.
View attachment 5425
i have never seen one of those before... ..i don;t think there is anything on this island that can compare.. ...but it sounds awesome. ..i love things that have cherries in them... ....🍒🍒🍒 ...especialy when combined with sugar and fat....😋

i;m seriously wanting a cherry fritter now.... 😋🍒🍒🍒🍒.... never had one but can;t stop thinking about it...... i;m going to look up recipes and try to make them as soon as i can......