Dr. Billings' Run for Congress

LongGone

Elect
Reaction score
Old timers will remember Dr. Billings unsuccessful run for congress. The election was 40 years ago today. Jimmy Carter was elected as President. I remember the ringing of hands by some that the Lord's return must be soon if Carter would be in the White House :)  Was a poll watcher in Gary.

LongGone said:
Old timers will remember Dr. Billings unsuccessful run for congress. The election was 40 years ago today. Jimmy Carter was elected as President. I remember the ringing of hands by some that the Lord's return must be soon if Carter would be in the White House :)  Was a poll watcher in Gary.

Carter was a terrible president, but at least he was a born again Christian and was a moral and honest man. I disagree with much of his politics, but I believe he was a good person and thought he was making the right choices for our country..

I don't think either of our current choices are good people & think they will be self serving. I suspect neither is a christian and I am very likely to disagree with the positions of which ever one gets in. That being said I feel the current Republican platform to be far more christian friendly & biblical than the other party.

Current Democratic Platform
Gun control, abortion rights with public funding, expanded LGBTQ rights, open borders & unlimited Immigration, expanded social programs, single payer healthcare, legalization of drugs, higher taxes, expanded government, reduction of military, pro Islam agenda, expansion or refugees into the US, expanded affirmative action, pro green agenda, anti traditional energy, appointing progressive judges, anti charter and private school, anti home school, and they are for limiting religious freedom for Christians. 

Jimmy Carter was a great man, he just had tremendous bad luck. He burned the midnight oil for those hostages to be released but those Iranians would never release them while he was president, even if he gave them millions of dollars like someone in recent months.

Jimmy is an anti Israel bigot pro Hamas terrorist enabler.

sword said:
LongGone said:

Carter was a terrible president, but at least he was a born again Christian and was a moral and honest man. I disagree with much of his politics, but I believe he was a good person and thought he was making the right choices for our country..

I don't think either of our current choices are good people & think they will be self serving. I suspect neither is a christian and I am very likely to disagree with the positions of which ever one gets in. That being said I feel the current Republican platform to be far more christian friendly & biblical than the other party.

Gun control, abortion rights with public funding, expanded LGBTQ rights, open borders & unlimited Immigration, expanded social programs, single payer healthcare, legalization of drugs, higher taxes, expanded government, reduction of military, pro Islam agenda, expansion or refugees into the US, expanded affirmative action, pro green agenda, anti traditional energy, appointing progressive judges, anti charter and private school, anti home school, and they are for limiting religious freedom for Christians.

No paraphrasing in that platform presentation 8)

I drove Dr. Billings' campaign bus during the election.

I was a poll watcher, and the Democrat in charge of the polling place and I called the police on each other.

I remember listening to the radio that night: "And Billings' campaign just ran out of steam."

Vince Massi said:
I drove Dr. Billings' campaign bus during the election.

I was a poll watcher, and the Democrat in charge of the polling place and I called the police on each other.

I remember listening to the radio that night: "And Billings' campaign just ran out of steam."
You remind me of Bubba...You've been everywhere and you know everyone!  8)

LongGone said:
sword said:
LongGone said:
If you think I have miss-characterized any points of their party platform please let me know.
I have spoke with several acquaintances who are active in the local & state Democrat party and they not only agree with the list but find it unconscionable any educated person in 2016 would be against any of these stated views.

Please pic out the positions you think are miss-characterized or exaggerated and I will give you source and reference for them.

With the exception of "limiting religious freedom for Christians" most are clearly spelled out in their published party platform and in speeches by democrat party leaders.

Does anyone know where Dr Billings' sons are now?  I had his wife as my elementary school teacher
at HBGS when the school still met at 700 Sibley Blvd.

sword said:
LongGone said:
sword said:
LongGone said:
If you think I have miss-characterized any points of their party platform please let me know.
I have spoke with several acquaintances who are active in the local & state Democrat party and they not only agree with the list but find it unconscionable any educated person in 2016 would be against any of these stated views.

Please pic out the positions you think are miss-characterized or exaggerated and I will give you source and reference for them.

With the exception of "limiting religious freedom for Christians" most are clearly spelled out in their published party platform and in speeches by democrat party leaders.

Why would you need to talk to anybody about the Democratic Platform? You can google it and read it for yourself.  I don't need for you to source and reference since I can read for myself. Many of your points are not in the platform but we can start with the single payer healthcare system. Looking at the your list I find it hard to believe that you have actually read the platform.

sword said:
LongGone said:

There is nothing in the platform about open borders or unlimited immigration.

LongGone said:
sword said:
LongGone said:
sword said:
LongGone said:
Why would you need to talk to anybody about the Democratic Platform? You can google it and read it for yourself.  I don't need for you to source and reference since I can read for myself. Many of your points are not in the platform but we can start with the single payer healthcare system. Looking at the your list I find it hard to believe that you have actually read the platform.
As we all know Hillary said she was opposed to a single payer system but strongly advocated expansion of medicare to seniors 55 years of age and even younger. She also strongly advocated a public payer option within the Obama care options. Everyone knows it will be very difficult for insurance companies to compete with a public option and will lead to a single payer system in the end.

FROM 2016 DEMOCRAT PLATFORM: Democrats will never falter in our generations-long fight to guarantee health care as a fundamental right for every American. As part of that guarantee, Americans should be able to access public coverage through a public option, and those over 55 should be able to opt in to Medicare.

You likely also know adding the goal of a single payer system to the Democrat platform lost by only one vote when the platform was drafted. It is sighted that 80% of likely democrat voters polled say they a for a single payer system. Hillary has also expressed the likely eventual need for a single payer system as the cost of Obama care continues to rise at progressive fund raising events. 

LongGone said:
sword said:
LongGone said:
[/quote
If you have read the Democrat platform you know their policy is if you can get to the U.S. and not commit a crime you should be able to stay. You also know Democrats have fought any attempts to expand protecting our southern border and enforcing our current laws.

FROM 2016 DEMOCRAT PLATFORM
The Americas are a region of singular strategic, economic, and cultural importance and opportunity for the United States. Democrats reject Donald Trump?s proposal to build a wall on our southern border and alienate Mexico.

The Democratic Party supports legal immigration, within "reasonable" limits, that meets the needs of families, communities, and the economy as well as maintains the United States? role as a
beacon of hope for people seeking safety, freedom, and security. People should come to the  United States with visas and not through smugglers. Yet, we recognize that the current immigration system is broken. More than 11 million people are living in the shadows, without proper documentation. The immigration bureaucracy is full of backlogs that result in U.S. citizens waiting for decades to be reunited with family members, and green card holders waiting for years to be reunited with their spouses and minor children. The current quota system discriminates against certain immigrants, including immigrants of color, and needs to be reformed to the realities of the 21st century.

Mrs. Clinton has proposed bringing 2 million more Syrian refugees to the U.S. over the next 10 years.

sword said:
LongGone said:
sword said:
LongGone said:
sword said:
LongGone said:
As we all know Hillary said she was opposed to a single payer system but strongly advocated expansion of medicare to seniors 55 years of age and even younger. She also strongly advocated a public payer option within the Obama care options. Everyone knows it will be very difficult for insurance companies to compete with a public option and will lead to a single payer system in the end.

FROM 2016 DEMOCRAT PLATFORM: Democrats will never falter in our generations-long fight to guarantee health care as a fundamental right for every American. As part of that guarantee, Americans should be able to access public coverage through a public option, and those over 55 should be able to opt in to Medicare.

You likely also know adding the goal of a single payer system to the Democrat platform lost by only one vote when the platform was drafted. It is sighted that 80% of likely democrat voters polled say they a for a single payer system. Hillary has also expressed the likely eventual need for a single payer system as the cost of Obama care continues to rise at progressive fund raising events.

The platform still does not include a single payer system as you stated. You know that it lost by a vote so why did you state it was part of the platform?

sword said:
LongGone said:
sword said:
LongGone said:
[/quote
If you have read the Democrat platform you know their policy is if you can get to the U.S. and not commit a crime you should be able to stay. You also know Democrats have fought any attempts to expand protecting our southern border and enforcing our current laws.

The Americas are a region of singular strategic, economic, and cultural importance and opportunity for the United States. Democrats reject Donald Trump?s proposal to build a wall on our southern border and alienate Mexico.

The Democratic Party supports legal immigration, within "reasonable" limits, that meets the needs of families, communities, and the economy as well as maintains the United States? role as a
beacon of hope for people seeking safety, freedom, and security. People should come to the  United States with visas and not through smugglers. Yet, we recognize that the current immigration system is broken. More than 11 million people are living in the shadows, without proper documentation. The immigration bureaucracy is full of backlogs that result in U.S. citizens waiting for decades to be reunited with family members, and green card holders waiting for years to be reunited with their spouses and minor children. The current quota system discriminates against certain immigrants, including immigrants of color, and needs to be reformed to the realities of the 21st century.

Mrs. Clinton has proposed bringing 2 million more Syrian refugees to the U.S. over the next 10 years.

So your statement about open borders is false also.

LongGone said:
sword said:
LongGone said:
sword said:
LongGone said:
[/quote

I contend it is a statement of fact That Hillary & the current administration want open borders. They have made it near impossible for border control to do their job, they want Amnesty for all 30 million illegals who are here now and they want to bring in millions of refugees from Syria over the next 10 years. They also oppose any attempt to control our southern border so yes I think that means they are for open borders. I'm sure Hillary would disagree that letting in millions of legal & illegal poorly vetted immigrants in does not mean open borders. 

sword said:
LongGone said:
sword said:
LongGone said:
sword said:
LongGone said:
[/quote

I contend it is a statement of fact That Hillary & the current administration want open borders. They have made it near impossible for border control to do their job, they want Amnesty for all 30 million illegals who are here now and they want to bring in millions of refugees from Syria over the next 10 years. They also oppose any attempt to control our southern border so yes I think that means they are for open borders. I'm sure Hillary would disagree that letting in millions of legal & illegal poorly vetted immigrants in does not mean open borders.

Having a reasonable plan for border control is not the same as having open borders. Not sure where you get the 30 million number since Homeland Security estimates about 11 million illegal immigrants. So you are going to tell me that Trump's plan to build a wall paid for by Mexico is reasonable. Even if you "think" that Hillary wants "open borders" you would be wrong in stating that it was part of the Democratic platform. According to US Customs and Boarder Control Obama has deported 2.5 million people. This is more than any other president. Hillary stated in one of the debates that she is not for open borders.

sword said:
LongGone said:

You state higher taxes...the actual platform states the wealthy will be taxed more and tax relief will be provided for the middle class. Your statement implies that the platform states everyone will pay more taxes.