Dr Jerry Falwell, 1933 - 2007

Tarheel Baptist

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
On May 15, 2007 Dr Jerry Falwell entered the presence of the Lord he loved and served during his time on earth. It was at Liberty University that My wife and I learned to live by faith and trust God. Dr Falwell's ministry and his example gave me a thirst for and love of Scripture. Like so many other Liberty students, I felt his heart, envied his faith and caught his vision. Later, he unselfishly gave me his time, advice and encouragement during some dark days in my life. He was a visionary, a great leader and a man of great faith in his Savior. The world is a better place because Jerry Falwell once lived in it.

Tarheel Baptist said:
On May 15, 2007 Dr Jerry Falwell entered the presence of the Lord he loved and served during his time on earth. It was at Liberty University that My wife and I learned to live by faith and trust God. Dr Falwell's ministry and his example gave me a thirst for and love of Scripture. Like so many other Liberty students, I felt his heart, envied his faith and caught his vision. Later, he unselfishly gave me his time, advice and encouragement during some dark days in my life. He was a visionary, a great leader and a man of great faith in his Savior. The world is a better place because Jerry Falwell once lived in it.

I was there from 84-88 and caught his vision and love for family and ministry as well.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Tarheel, are you familiar with a Pastor by the name of John Yates?

My pastor growing up was from Lynchburg and came to Christ as a direct result of Jerry Falwell.  As a teenage I attend Super Conference 2 years in a row.  I was sitting at a lunch table and Dr. Falwell came in sat beside me asked me my name and where I was from..chit chat I thought.

The following year I was walking to one of the services and Dr. Falwell walked by..stopped and said "Billy how are you enjoying the conference this year?" I was floored!! He met me once, we chatted for a few minutes and a year later he called me by name.

ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I don't believe I know him.
Why do you ask?

Billy said:
He met me once, we chatted for a few minutes and a year later he called me by name.

It's an amazing ability.  I had that experience with an Allstate insurance agent who my dad introduced me to.  Two years later he saw me walking through Sears and called my name.  I can't even remember my own name!

Billy said:
My pastor growing up was from Lynchburg and came to Christ as a direct result of Jerry Falwell.  As a teenage I attend Super Conference 2 years in a row.  I was sitting at a lunch table and Dr. Falwell came in sat beside me asked me my name and where I was from..chit chat I thought.

The following year I was walking to one of the services and Dr. Falwell walked by..stopped and said "Billy how are you enjoying the conference this year?" I was floored!! He met me once, we chatted for a few minutes and a year later he called me by name.

Jerry had an extraordinary memory for names and faces.
My wife and I were 2 of only 200 plus students in the 70's and he never forgot us...even to remembering the names of our children later on. And he was never too busy to help you when you were in a bind. He was a kind, gracious, wise and Godly man.

It perturbs me still when some IFB's demean Jerry while defending Dr Hyles as a 'true fundamentalist'....it seems their priorities and principles are skewed...to say the least.

Tarheel Baptist said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Why do you ask?
A Liberty Graduate, he has some discipleship material I use and very much appreciate. He would have graduated around 83/84 ish. (I know all grads don't know all other grads, just a question of curiosity)

ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Why do you ask?
A Liberty Graduate, he has some discipleship material I use and very much appreciate. He would have graduated around 83/84 ish. (I know all grads don't know all other grads, just a question of curiosity)

I don't know him. I was a LU student in the 70's and am still in contact with many of my classmates. I seldom have contact with the University these days.

Tarheel Baptist said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Why do you ask?

I don't know him. I was a LU student in the 70's and am still in contact with many of my classmates. I seldom have contact with the University these days.
I suspect neither does he, but he expresses much gratitude for what he did learn and how he was helped. A man with a sweet spirit.

His work and life honours Bro Falwell's legacy

ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Why do you ask?

I suspect neither does he, but he expresses much gratitude for what he did learn and how he was helped. A man with a sweet spirit.

While I don't hide my Liberty affiliation, I certainly don't walk in lockstep with them philosophically. But, at Liberty, being in lockstep isn't required to be 'in fellowship'. :)

Tarheel Baptist said:
While I don't hide my Liberty affiliation, I certainly don't walk in lockstep with them philosophically. But, at Liberty, being in lockstep isn't required to be 'in fellowship'. :)

So they are a bunch of librul compromisers!  :mad:

;)

subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

So they are a bunch of librul compromisers!  :mad:

;)

I don't walk in lockstep with my wife on every issue either, but I wouldn't call her a liberal compromiser.  ;)

Tarheel Baptist said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Why do you ask?

I appreciate much of what he accomplished, even though HAC graduates I ran across thought him a compromiser.

He did lose a lot of respect when he inserted himself into the Jim Bakker stuff.

Walt said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Why do you ask?

I appreciate much of what he accomplished, even though HAC graduates I ran across thought him a compromiser.

He did lose a lot of respect when he inserted himself into the Jim Bakker stuff.

Many IFB's still think of him as a compromiser. But Jack Hyles is a bastion of fundamentalism. Jerry, for all his faults....and the PTL debacle....never had a taint of immorality about him or the ministry he led.                                   
As opposed to Dr Hyles.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Walt said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Why do you ask?

Many IFB's still think of him as a compromiser. But Jack Hyles is a bastion of fundamentalism. Jerry, for all his faults....and the PTL debacle....never had a taint of immorality about him or the ministry he led.                                   
As opposed to Dr Hyles.

Well said.  The solution is to stop putting men up on pedestals; we can honor them for the good that they did, but we should also, in truth, acknowledge their faults, all the more so when they were public figures.  I don't mean that all men must be torn down.  In my opinion, JF did become a compromiser, at least as far as the IFB goes. But... on the good side, he never had the morass of putrid corruption that surrounded Hyles.