Dr. This and Dr. That

Jo

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
My stomach turns just a little bit more when I realize how many IFB preachers were given the title, "Dr." when they didn't attend one accredited university! Come on! Am I alone?

Coming from an accredited institution or not, a degree is nothing but a piece of paper that affirms the graduate's ability to regurgitate what the granting institution taught.

Value is assigned to such a document by convention; some institutions agree to teach certain things by way of convention therefore, an accreditation is to a college what the diploma is to the earner.

I know of many who have alphabet after their names that I wouldn't give a plug nickel for whether the title comes from an accredited school or not.

The first Ph.D. that I met outside of a university was a chemist at a chemical refinery. His job was to figure out the best combination of solvents to maximize the purity of the copper. I would doubt he went by "Doctor" except in formal and academic settings where it was appropriate. We were all on a first-name basis, and he wore the same acid-proof greens as the rest of us.

All those unaccredited Bible colleges give out honorary degrees that they couldn't offer for real, and their honorees couldn't earn. Then those men strut their "doctorates" around like it came from Oxford and Duns Scotus himself handed them the scroll.

They do all their deeds to be seen by others. For they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long, and they love the place of honor at feasts and the best seats in the synagogues and greetings in the marketplaces and being called rabbi ["Doctor"] by others. (Matt. 23:5-7)​

Incidentally, although I have no proof, I happen to firmly believe “Ransom” is a Trojan Horse and is more than likely more than one person, not Canadian but rather American, and is probably operating as a low level government informant. - Strom

I just noticed the above quote. I'm not on here often. I don't know Strom, but if you're a nefarious spy, please do tell.....lol

Coming from an accredited institution or not, a degree is nothing but a piece of paper that affirms the graduate's ability to regurgitate what the granting institution taught.

Value is assigned to such a document by convention; some institutions agree to teach certain things by way of convention therefore, an accreditation is to a college what the diploma is to the earner.

I know of many who have alphabet after their names that I wouldn't give a plug nickel for whether the title comes from an accredited school or not.
You raise some good points. However, when a person becomes ill or a family member does, I want ALL kinds of letters after the treating physician's name.

In my opinion, if an institution helps you look at life or people differently and causes you to think of ways to improve the world and one's self through medicine, science, technology, and/or education, I put a very high value on it.

These days and in the future, discerning truth is a major necessity. With most people able to get on youtube and claim anything they want and then with AI coming quickly into everyone's world, an education is highly important. I don't consider my HAC degree to be of value. Most of the things I heard from the teachers were things I heard at church. Personally, I wish they'd shut the place down or call it an "institute" because it's not a college.

You raise some good points. However, when a person becomes ill or a family member does, I want ALL kinds of letters after the treating physician's name.

In my opinion, if an institution helps you look at life or people differently and causes you to think of ways to improve the world and one's self through medicine, science, technology, and/or education, I put a very high value on it.

These days and in the future, discerning truth is a major necessity. With most people able to get on youtube and claim anything they want and then with AI coming quickly into everyone's world, an education is highly important. I don't consider my HAC degree to be of value. Most of the things I heard from the teachers were things I heard at church. Personally, I wish they'd shut the place down or call it an "institute" because it's not a college.
Yes. The medical or technology thing would be the exception to what I said. However, you very astutely pointed out how the discernment of truth is becoming more critical. It is getting to where even those in the medical profession are having to practice delusion in order to earn a degree.

For the here and now, I took want an accredited doctor. In fact, I was just helped this year by a cardiologist who really knows his stuff. Unfortunately, the first cardiologist was wanting to put me through a bunch of expensive procedures to "see if that will work".

I just noticed the above quote. I'm not on here often. I don't know Strom, but if you're a nefarious spy, please do tell.....lol

Na, he was nothing. A Strom Thurmond fan, supposedly, and he sort of showed his bigoted colours when we let him talk long enough. Paranoid, too. Other than the pseudonym, I've never pretended to be other than what I am.

Sort of shows the dearth of good lunatics around here lately, that I haven't been insulted well enough since to replace it.

Giving honorary doctorates out is not new, but using them as an official title of academic achievement has always been a faux pas, but those who use their honorary doctorates in the place of earned ones demonstrate their misplaced priorities in the ministries, and those intentions are usually borne out of pride and/or arrogance/ignorance.

It was in a Baptist Church when I first heard someone other than an M.D. being referred to as "Doctor." Receiving an honorary doctorate from an institution like Oxford University is truly an honor coming from an esteemed institution of higher learning that has a legitimate post-graduate program. Even then, such recipients do not parade themselves around like they have an actual doctorate that carries any weight in professional and educational circles!

Hyles-Anderson College does not even have a doctoral program yet they hand out honorary "Doctorates" to their fellow buddies and then refer to each other as "Doctor" as they are introduced to their pulpit or whatever! My understanding was the "Doctor Hyles" insisted upon being called "Doctor" and became rather indignant when someone merely referred to him as "Brother, Pastor, or Reverend" and I'm guessing someone would truly incur his wrath if they referred to him as "Jack!"

But then you have the esteemed graduates from Pickle U who have truly "Urned" their Honorary Docktrates and their wisdom and humility are legendary above all other lesser beings! :cool:

But then you have the esteemed graduates from Pickle U who have truly "Urned" their Honorary Docktrates and their wisdom and humility are legendary above all other lesser beings! :cool:
I still hold my docktrate in forum addiction. The original dissertation is long lost to history.

If I get up the gumption, I'll resurrect and revise it for all to enjoy. 😎

Receiving an honorary doctorate from an institution like Oxford University is truly an honor coming from an esteemed institution of higher learning that has a legitimate post-graduate program. Even then, such recipients do not parade themselves around like they have an actual doctorate that carries any weight in professional and educational circles!

Our senior pastor has an earned Oxford Ph.D., and even he is just "Pastor Jonathan" to he rest of us.

I not going to defend the practice of giving honorary doctorates, but it started long before the IFB. Countless 1000's of honorary degrees have been bestowed by universities since the 1400's. A quick google search will show pages of performers, politicians, poets, writers, preachers, lawyer’s, activists, inventors, scientists and business leaders who have been awarded honorary degrees from universities around the world. As a general practice, honorary degrees in various categories are bestowed upon people who have achieved significance through their life’s body of work in a particular field.

J. K Rowling was awarded a honorary doctorate from Harvard University for her life’s work and contribution to the field of literature and another one from Aberdeen University in Scotland for her support of research into multiple sclerosis. She hold a total of 8 honorary doctorates.

Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss) was awarded an honorary doctorate of Humane Letters from Dartmouth for his fifes work in cartoons and children’s books.

20 year old Greta Thunberg was awarded and honorary doctorate for her life’s work in environmental and climate change activism from the University of Helsinki.

in 1988 Michael Jackson was given an honorary doctor of humane letters from Nashville's very own HBCU, Fisk University.

As long as a college or university limits it to one or two a year i have no problem with them recognizing someone’s life work. Having doctor before your name means little its the skill to perform in your chosen field that matters. Having a PHD honorary or otherwise does not make you a better person. Most of the world’s inventors and great business and civic leaders did not have an earned PHD.

Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard University to found Microsoft. Steve Jobs (Apple), Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook), Larry Page (Google), Jack Dorsey (Twitter) Michael Dell (Dell computer) and Larry Ellison (Oracle) also dropped out of college, but they are all listed as some of the richest people in the United States.

Though I acknowledge it takes work to earn one and is something to proud of, yet many PHD holders go on to accomplish nothing in life. Many career fields steer away from PHD's when hiring yet other careers require one.

I not going to defend the practice of giving honorary doctorates, but it started long before the IFB. Countless 1000's of honorary degrees have been bestowed by universities since the 1400's. A quick google search will show pages of performers, politicians, poets, writers, preachers, lawyer’s, activists, inventors, scientists and business leaders who have been awarded honorary degrees from universities around the world. As a general practice, honorary degrees in various categories are bestowed upon people who have achieved significance through their life’s body of work in a particular field.

J. K Rowling was awarded a honorary doctorate from Harvard University for her life’s work and contribution to the field of literature and another one from Aberdeen University in Scotland for her support of research into multiple sclerosis. She hold a total of 8 honorary doctorates.

Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss) was awarded an honorary doctorate of Humane Letters from Dartmouth for his fifes work in cartoons and children’s books.

20 year old Greta Thunberg was awarded and honorary doctorate for her life’s work in environmental and climate change activism from the University of Helsinki.

in 1988 Michael Jackson was given an honorary doctor of humane letters from Nashville's very own HBCU, Fisk University.

As long as a college or university limits it to one or two a year i have no problem with them recognizing someone’s life work. Having doctor before your name means little its the skill to perform in your chosen field that matters. Having a PHD honorary or otherwise does not make you a better person. Most of the world’s inventors and great business and civic leaders did not have an earned PHD.
No one gets an "Honorary PhD" Honorary doctorates are usually a "Doctor of Divinity" (mostly in religious settings) or Doctor of Humane Letters. It is also customary to present a commencement speaker with an honorary doctorate and I am sure that some have their filing cabinets full of them!

The problem in the IFB world is that they think their honorary doctorate actually means something!

• TRUTH!
Reactions: Jo
No one gets an "Honorary PhD" Honorary doctorates are usually a "Doctor of Divinity" (mostly in religious settings) or Doctor of Humane Letters. It is also customary to present a commencement speaker with an honorary doctorate and I am sure that some have their filing cabinets full of them!

The problem in the IFB world is that they think their honorary doctorate actually means something
Many feel that having their alma mater identify them and their lifes work to be worthy of recognition is a high honor. I would suspect many who received an honorary doctorate from HAC / Hyles value it much higher than any masters or PHD degree they may have earned. Within Independent Baptist Churches earned doctorates mean little.

Those I know who have been given honorary doctorates don't feel they deserve it but were honored to be chosen. I'm sure there are many exception to this rule but I don't know them. Remember in the IFB it's all about the numbers and results not about degrees.

That's why I never pursued one. I was already accomplished at nothing in life.
I question the worlds and even some Christians measure of success. My values are very different then most others. I have never sought recognition, and likely would not have got it if I had. I sleep well knowing I strive to do my best each and every day. I also seek to be a better Christian year after year and to be wiser as each year passes.

The problem in the IFB world is that they think their honorary doctorate actually means something!
Every school is different but it seems the number awarded is small.

Princton awards the following Honorary degrees:

Doctor of Arts, Doctor of Divinity, Doctor of Fine Arts, Doctor of Humane Letters, Doctor of Humanities, Doctor of Laws, Doctor of Letters, Doctor of Literature, Doctor of Music, and Doctor of Science.

It seems they ususlly award 5 total a year. I think it's customary to have those being presented honorary doctorates to speak, not the other way around.