earthquake!!

aleshanee

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
it just happened a few minutes ago.... .originated off shore of the big island where earthquakes happen all the time.... but we only occasionally feel them here on oahu.... this one was big .. 6.3... and our building started swaying - pots and pans hanging from hooks in the kitchen started swinging.. ...it lasted for well over 3 minutes... not a long time as earthquakes go but a very long time if you are actually in one.... . ...no signs of tsunami so far according to the u.s. geo site that monitors it all..... and no local damage reported or power failures.... ..but this was weird..... ..i had just taken my morning regimen of meds and this actually made me dizzy.....💫😵.....

Interesting. Today is the 53rd "anniversary" of the Sylmar earthquake that rocked the San Fernando and Santa Clarita valleys of Southern California. It destroyed the I-5/210/14 freeway interchange and collapsed two hospitals in Sylmar. I was just a young pup at the time, living in Arcadia which is in the San Gabriel Valley. I remember hearing the house shake and my mom and sister tuning in the radio. That earthquake registered 6.5 on the Richter Scale.

We get earthquakes here from time to time, too. Nothing like a 6.3, usually around 4. I think I've experienced four quakes large enough to be felt. No damage, just 10 seconds or so of vibration.

We get earthquakes here from time to time, too. Nothing like a 6.3, usually around 4. I think I've experienced four quakes large enough to be felt. No damage, just 10 seconds or so of vibration.
a few seconds up to a minute is usually the most we ever feel from big island quakes.... .and for most people they go completely unnoticed.... ..over in kailua they could hear the frequent tremors coming at night down the fault lines and then suddenly things would begin to rattle and stacks of dishes would make noise in the kitchen... .. but during the day those very same tremors would not even be noticed.... ....and we didn;t feel anything noticeable from the 5.7 quake that hit directly under mauna loa either a few minutes after the 6.3 one that shook us.... . but the 6.3. quake which occured out under the sea floor apparently hit directly on a fault line that runs directly under honolulu.....

it;s not beyond possibility that a volcano could erupt again on oahu... ...most residents assume all the old volcanos here like diamond head and punch bowl are extinct, but one volcano here is actually not..... koko head - which the archery range i use borders on - is only dormant.... .geologists say there is still a hot spot beneath it that hasn;t gone completely quiet yet..... ...the volcanos on maui have a much greater possibility of becoming active some days in the future.. ...with kilauea being so predictable and constant - people had forgotten about the real danger the volcanos can pose until mauna loa erupted for 2 weeks in november 2022...

Tennessee has had three earthquakes this month. Granted they were only 2.7, 3.1, and 2.3. We felt two of them. We're pretty used to them.

Tennessee has had three earthquakes this month. Granted they were only 2.7, 3.1, and 2.3. We felt two of them. We're pretty used to them.
I was in York, PA when an earthquake hit the area around 13 years ago. I was first thinking it was no big deal, experienced much worse out in California and other places but then I realized I was in a 50 year old building and "What sort of seismic building requirements do they have here?" At that point, we decided to adjourn our business meeting and evacuate the building. Where you have mountains, you will have earthquakes at times.

I was in the Philippines during Christmas of 2019 to mid January 2000. During that time, we got to experience a typhoon, an earthquake, and a volcanic eruption (Taal) which delayed our departure back to the states for several days. No tsunami and we were happy not having to experience one! Lucky for us, we were able to get back just in time for the world to shut down due to Covid!