Easter, Christian or Pagan?

TSK has,

"Easter: Rather, the Passover, το [Strong's G3588], πασχα [Strong's G3957]."

Fausset has,

"1025 Easter
1025.01 The KJV of pascha (to be translated instead as "the Passover") in Acts 12:4. "Easter" is a Christian feast; the Passover is a Jewish feast. "

Let's look at how Pascha was translated in early English Bibles over a period of about 200 years.

Wycliffe pask.  Translated from Latin pascha. Easter or Ester is not found in Wycliffe. pask or paske 29 verses.
It is very curious that Ester or Easter is not used one time in Wycliffe. I wonder why?

Tyndale ester. ester found in 29 verses. Pask, pascha or pascall lambe 1 verse.

Matthew Easter. Easter found in 26 verses. Paschall lambe 2 verses.

Coverdale Easter.  Easter 30 verses.

Great Ester. ester 2 verses. Easter 12 verses. You might want to look up what is used in the other aprox. 15 verses.

Geneva Passeouer. Passeouer 27 verses

Rheims pasch. pasch 27 verses.

Bishop's Easter. Easter 2 verses. Passouer 23 verses.

KJV 1611 Easter. Easter 1 verse. Passover 27 verses.

It seems to me that Easter  or Ester was not a commonly used word for translating Latin Pascha into English in
Wycliff's time He did not use it even once but instead kept the transliteration of it into  English.

The use of Easter peaked under Coverdale as he used it exclusively to translate pascha.

By the time James men translated their Bible they could find only one place to use it. Clearly this indicated that the word as a translation of pascha was passing out of common use in the English language.

Now 400 years later it would be a poor choice to translate Pascha.

Easter seems to be of Pagan origin as that is the consensus opinion of a majority of Spirit filled believers who write scholarly works.

I vote with the majority.

Pagan.

Tyndale has Pascha and Easter in the same verse, it is spelled : Pascall...your info is off.

Mar 14:12
12 And the fyrste daye of swete breed when men offer ye pascall lambe his disciples sayd vnto him:where wilt thou that we goo and prepare that thou mayst eate the ester lambe?
(TyndaleBible)

Anishinabe

Hi,

Since there is a lot of repetition of irrelevant and misinformation, for simplicity I asked one simple question about the claims of F. F. Bruce.

Steven Avery said:
Hi,

bgwilkinson said:
Here is what F. F. Bruce says.
EASTER, a word used in the Germanic languages to denote the festival of the vernal equinox, and subsequently, with the coming of Christianity, to denote the anniversary of the resurrection of Christ (which in Gk. and Romance tongues is denoted by pascha, ‘Passover’, and its derivatives).

This is supposed to be a primary source?

Please supply the actual primary source references that say that Easter was a word used in the early centuries in the Germanic languages for the vernal equinox.  Since Christianity came to those regions within the first centuries after Christ, to be accurate, the reference should be about 200 AD.  However, I would also be interested in 1000 AD.

If you don't have one, please simply acknowledge that there is no support available for the F. F. Bruce claim. Apparently Bruce wrote this in 1962 in the New Bible Dictionary.

Steven

What good are repetitions of errors and irrelevancies from a variety pack of secondary and tertiary sources? On a topic well known for repetitive disinformation using earlier scholarship references that are now seen as dubious.

At any rate, I took one of the simplest questions from one of the sources usually respected, and just properly relating to that one request would show some integrity.

Thanks!

Yours in Jesus,
Steven Avery

prophet said:
Tyndale has Pascha and Easter in the same verse, it is spelled : Pascall...your info is off.

12 And the fyrste daye of swete breed when men offer ye pascall lambe his disciples sayd vnto him:where wilt thou that we goo and prepare that thou mayst eate the ester lambe?
(TyndaleBible)

Anishinabe

Thanks. Good call.

Corrected.

bgwilkinson said:
prophet said:

(TyndaleBible)

Anishinabe

Thanks. Good call.

Corrected.
Roger that.

Anishinabe