Eight Unsolved Mysteries of the Bible

Dr. Huk-N-Duck

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score

"The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.” Deuteronomy 29:29

4. Where Is Evolution?

The Bible does not directly talk about the idea of evolution. While God created all life from man to animal alike, there is no direct description of the evolutionary process.
Evolution is by no means the main concept of scripture—a story of redemption—and thus, it remains a biblical mystery.
Understanding that Evolution is a Materialistic creation story, would you say that there is no answer to this in the Bible?

Interesting thread, but I've little time for participation now. Maybe later.

Understanding that Evolution is a Materialistic creation story, would you say that there is no answer to this in the Bible?
"Evolution is by no means the main concept of scripture—a story of redemption—and thus, it remains a biblical mystery."

While I wouldn't word it this way, I believe that the author of that article hits on a vital point: it is not the aim of the scriptures to explain the creation but to convey the story of redemption.

Now, on a theological level, we understand that naturalistic evolution is the antithesis of God's design for redemption as it declares death was a part of creation prior to the fall, thus negating the work of redemption. Had I written the above article, I would have included this idea in my answer about evolution. However, I do applaud the author for recognizing the main intent of Scripture.

Just remember there are Christians who believe in evolution, or some hybrid of creationism and evolution. I’m not saying I’m one of them, I’m just pointing out that they exist.

Just remember there are Christians who believe in evolution, or some hybrid of creationism and evolution. I’m not saying I’m one of them, I’m just pointing out that they exist.
Those are the very individuals I would seek to debate. I think it is a waste of time to debate atheists on the subject because their position is there is no God. What's to debate about that? Rather, it is the theistic evolutionist who stands on shakier ground because he is trying to straddle a fence between two diametrically opposing world views.

Those are all questions that don't matter.

In all fairness, much of the content on this forum doesn’t really matter (I especially feel that way every time I see the weekly Calvinism posts pop up).
Haha. Being a calvinist, I guess that means me.

Haha. Being a calvinist, I guess that means me.
No, I wasn’t thinking of anyone in particular because I don’t really pay much attention to those posts anymore. I don’t care if people discuss, but I just skip over them. Someone (maybe Alayman or Aleshanee?) once said something to the effect of it’s a futile conversation because we won’t know until we get to heaven. I agree.

You mean like saying

One of the biggest perplexities in the Bible is that God is absolutely Sovereign over all things and yet disapproves of many.

The greatest example.
Acts 4:27, 28
"for truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place."

God planned for the death of Jesus to take place. It necessarily included sin. It was sinful for men to whip Jesus, to mock him, to kill him. Yet, God willed that it happen.

Those are all questions that don't matter.
That's the point of the article, and he's already lost his argument. What he means to say is he'd rather not be bothered with them.

but did you all notice they all seemed to be questions that middle schoolers might ask?

Last edited:
but did you all notice they all seemed to be questions that middle schoolers might ask?
I have to disagree. These are some questions that theologians and philosophers have grappled with for years. Of course, we realize some of these questions won’t be answered until we get to heaven, which is why some people consider it a waste of time. Then again, modern technology has allowed us to solve equations that I’m sure a couple hundred years ago people would have said “no one will ever know the answer.” (Incidentally, your kids must’ve been highly intelligent in middle school, because I know mine wasn’t asking about atomic structures at 12 years old). 🤔

(Incidentally, your kids must’ve been highly intelligent in middle school, because I know mine wasn’t asking about atomic structures at 12 years old). 🤔
You're saying physical science and chemistry are no longer units in middle school science courses?

By the time I was in the eighth grade we knew how to read the periodic table of the elements and were splitting water molecules with electrolysis in the lab.
Yeah, I think K-12 used to be more rigorous. I’ve heard that a college degree in today’s world is about equivalent to a high school diploma back in the 50s/60s. I’m not sure if that’s completely accurate, but I think in some areas it’s possible.

That's the point of the article, and he's already lost his argument. What he means to say is he'd rather not be bothered with them.

I didn't read the whole thing, just quickly scanned the 8 "mysteries. Yeah, they're middle schooler questions.