Eric Capaci and Gospel Light align with the SBC.

Citadel of Truth said:
Bruh said:
Every church has issues. If they're preaching the true gospel who cares at this point? And if the SBC are giving him support he couldn't get with the IFB (because they are to busy trying to build their kingdom) good for him.
I was saved in a SBC and continue in that group to this day. As a long-time southern Baptist, I will say that we do not need former IFB preachers like Capaci. They always come with an agenda. They think they'll benefit financially and numerically (which translates to financially) by making the change. SBC churches, typically, take better care of their preachers and evangelists than do the IFB. He wouldn't be the first to "dip his colors" for the sake of personal gain.

As a former IFB preacher who's church joined the SBC after 30+ years as an IFB church, we missed the financial and numerical benefits that evidently should have  accompanied our joining.
On the contrary, our monthly gifts to the SBC added 'outgo' to our budget.
I obviously can't speak for Capaci, but the reason we aligned with them had nothing to do with attendance and offerings and everything to do with ministry and philosophy.
We had nothing in common with IFB's...nothing. And we haven't changed over the years. The IFB, as a whole, became more extreme.

Tarheel Baptist said:
We had nothing in common with IFB's...nothing.

That's a little extreme.

Hopefully, you still have doctrine in common.

And you still love potlucks.

Twisted said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

That's a little extreme.

Context matters:
"I obviously can't speak for Capaci, but the reason we aligned with them had nothing to do with attendance and offerings and everything to do with ministry and philosophy.
We had nothing in common with IFB's...nothing."
The fact that many/most IFB's believe that music/worship style have equal footing with actual doctrine is one example of such.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Twisted said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

That's a little extreme.

Context matters:
"I obviously can't speak for Capaci, but the reason we aligned with them had nothing to do with attendance and offerings and everything to do with ministry and philosophy.
We had nothing in common with IFB's...nothing."
The fact that many/most IFB's believe that music/worship style have equal footing with actual doctrine is one example of such.

So....you *DON'T* love potlucks?

Tarheel Baptist said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Bruh said:
Every church has issues. If they're preaching the true gospel who cares at this point? And if the SBC are giving him support he couldn't get with the IFB (because they are to busy trying to build their kingdom) good for him.
I was saved in a SBC and continue in that group to this day. As a long-time southern Baptist, I will say that we do not need former IFB preachers like Capaci. They always come with an agenda. They think they'll benefit financially and numerically (which translates to financially) by making the change. SBC churches, typically, take better care of their preachers and evangelists than do the IFB. He wouldn't be the first to "dip his colors" for the sake of personal gain.

As a former IFB preacher who's church joined the SBC after 30+ years as an IFB church, we missed the financial and numerical benefits that evidently should have  accompanied our joining.
I obviously can't speak for Capaci, but the reason we aligned with them had nothing to do with attendance and offerings and everything to do with ministry and philosophy.
We had nothing in common with IFB's...nothing. And we haven't changed over the years. The IFB, as a whole, became more extreme.

Capaci was already a well-known and widely-used speaker in IFB circles until he started going a different direction than the mainstream IFB. There can be no doubt that he has gained financially since joining the SBC; that is, if he continues to go out on the preaching circuit. 

Citadel of Truth said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Bruh said:

Capaci was already a well-known and widely-used speaker in IFB circles until he started going a different direction than the mainstream IFB. There can be no doubt that he has gained financially since joining the SBC; that is, if he continues to go out on the preaching circuit.

Perhaps what you say is true, I'm not in a position nor do I have the discernment to judge his motives.
Maybe he was just like us...he simply chose to associate with like minded churches.
Maybe he doesn't believe music or worship style can equal being an apostate.

I don't know for sure...do you?

Tarheel Baptist said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Bruh said:

Perhaps what you say is true, I'm not in a position nor do I have the discernment to judge his motives.
Maybe he was just like us...he simply chose to associate with like minded churches.

Actually, yes, I do. I was present at a luncheon where this exact subject was discussed. Capaci was there with about four other businessmen and myself. The fact was brought up that the IFB practically starve their evangelists and full-time singers. It was stated (whether in jest, I do not know) that the only way for an evangelist (or itinerate speaker) to make any money is by joining the SBC.

Citadel of Truth said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Bruh said:

Actually, yes, I do. I was present at a luncheon where this exact subject was discussed. Capaci was there with about four other businessmen and myself. The fact was brought up that the IFB practically starve their evangelists and full-time singers. It was stated (whether in jest, I do not know) that the only way for an evangelist (or itinerate speaker) to make any money is by joining the SBC.

So, the only current SBC (who is a former IFB Pastor/Church) who?s motives you question is Capaci and not the hundreds of others?
It appears to me, as one of those, that maybe to him, joining the SBC was a no brained in every way.

Tarheel Baptist said:
So, the only current SBC (who is a former IFB Pastor/Church) who?s motives you question is Capaci and not the hundreds of others?
It appears to me, as one of those, that maybe to him, joining the SBC was a no brained in every way.
I do not personally know the hundreds of others. It is definitely a no-brainer if your motive is making money. I'd rather hear a man preach who loves to preach rather than a man who loves the love offering. Just saying... 

Citadel of Truth said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
I do not personally know the hundreds of others. It is definitely a no-brainer if your motive is making money. I'd rather hear a man preach who loves to preach rather than a man who loves the love offering. Just saying...

I'm not sure I understand just how he is profiting from joining the SBC.
Is it thru recruits for his college? I don't readily see any evidence online that he's speaking at other churches every week.

I am going by our experience. I was reared in the IFB movement. Started our church and Pastored it for 30 years as an IFB church.
Because of what we saw as extremism and sometimes idiocy among many of our local IFB brethren, we carefully, prayerfully but deliberately aligned with the SBC.
Money was never mentioned in any way, shape or form.
we did it simply because we had much more in common with them than with the IFB's.
I'm pretty sure that would be Capaci's story as well.

Maybe you have a problem/history with Capaci.
Maybe you have a problem with IFB churches going into the SBC.
If so, you have a growing problem because many, many churches in our part of the country have made that move within the past 2-3 years.
Once we had almost 400 Baptist churches in our county...over 50% were IFB. Today, well over 50% are SBC.

Citadel of Truth said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

It's about money it's about making a living. If most full time pastors with a salary were to stop receiving one will find another church.

Citadel of Truth said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I'm confused; how does joining the SBC help with the love offering?  Not for a church, but for a man who goes out on the circuit? Are "love-offerings" mandated by the SBC? Does every preacher/singer get a minimum love offering?

16KJV11 said:
Bruh said:
Not sure how the "IFB" gives support to any one college.
Not sure how the IFB builds a kingdom. 
We are all individual Baptist Churches, there is no main IFB headquarters to support any college.

Well, for being "Independent", it's amazing how so many IFB churches follow their "group-think" mentality (and I say this as a long-time IFB). When I was younger and (more) naive, I thought that IFB churches just followed the Bible as they saw fit. I was disappointed to find so much following of supposed "great" men.

Citadel of Truth said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Your post is beyond stupid. Just saying! You dont join the SBC and get preaching gigs. He will have much less by joining! Igorance abounds!

Escapee said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Your post is beyond stupid. Just saying! You dont join the SBC and get preaching gigs. He will have much less by joining! Igorance abounds!
I'm sorry you're having a hard time understanding. I'll type real slow and maybe you can get it this time. The average IFB church is about 50-60 people. The SBC churches are typically much larger. The larger the church (I know this is difficult for you) the more members in that church. The more members (still with me?) the greater potential for bigger the love offerings. 

Citadel of Truth said:
Escapee said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I'm sorry you're having a hard time understanding. I'll type real slow and maybe you can get it this time. The average IFB church is about 50-60 people. The SBC churches are typically much larger. The larger the church (I know this is difficult for you) the more members in that church. The more members (still with me?) the greater potential for bigger the love offerings.

I don't know Capaci...at all...so you could be right about him and his motivation for joining the SBC.
Seems jaded to me, but who knows?
Do you totally discount the philosophy and methodology of ministry as a factor?
Do you totally discount the movement among main-stream IFB's to equate methods and music with doctrine as a factor?

If so, Capaci must be the most shallow and self centered Pastor in the entire SBC...or IFB for that matter!

Bruh said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

It's about money it's about making a living. If most full time pastors with a salary were to stop receiving one will find another church.

That would mean that Capaci's church could not financially support him while being numbered with IFB's but magically could financially support him by changing their affiliation to SBC.
I don't see that at all.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Bruh said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

That would mean that Capaci's church could not financially support him while being numbered with IFB's but magically could financially support him by changing their affiliation to SBC.
I don't see that at all.

I said full time pastors.

Bruh said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Bruh said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I don't see that at all.

I said full time pastors.

Sorry!
I completely misunderstood your post.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Escapee said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I don't know Capaci...at all...so you could be right about him and his motivation for joining the SBC.
Seems jaded to me, but who knows?
Do you totally discount the philosophy and methodology of ministry as a factor?
Do you totally discount the movement among main-stream IFB's to equate methods and music with doctrine as a factor?

If so, Capaci must be the most shallow and self centered Pastor in the entire SBC...or IFB for that matter!

His income was/is largely supplemented on his itinerate schedule. This is not unique to him.