Eschatology question

I read this book last year. I found it helpful in understanding some of the differing schools of thought.

Just the description in the link is informative:

This Counterpoints volume compares three views of the Millennium:

Premillennial: Christ will come again before this kingdom is established.

Postmillennial: our present age represents that kingdom and that the church is and must move toward the fulfillment of this kingdom.

Amillennial: a future Millennium is not a literal kingdom, and when Christ returns, he will usher in an immediate new heaven and new earth.

Look at the descriptions of the three views discussed in the book and consider what we already know the scriptures to teach. How do these brief descriptions match up?

Matt 24:40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. 41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left. 42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

Does this passage describe "the rapture", the Second Coming (or other)?
The coming of Christ for his saints is a joyous occasion and is meant to be a comfort to believers (1 Thess 4:13-18). Context is always keen when interpreting scripture. As most have pointed out the text is very plain that those left behind are similar to those who were taken away in Noah’s flood in judgment. I have personally gone through every passage where “The Day of the Lord” is mentioned (I counted 29 times) and it always refers to a time of judgment. It is in contrast to Christ coming for his saints.

A thief in the night” is never used to refer to the rapture or the gathering together of His saints. In 2 Peter 3:10 the term is a reference to to the judgment that concludes the Millennium when the earth is destroyed. The context of Matthew 24 where Jesus talks about those “taken away” is he immediately talks about making those left on earth (the faithful servants) rulers over his household. Then Matthew 25 starts with the foolish and wise virgins and the five talents where the Lord will make those who were faithful “ruler over many things” (Matt 25:21) and the unprofitable servants (the ones taken in judgment) are thrown into outer darkness (Matthew 25:30). And then immediately after that we have the judgment of the nations when the Son of man shall come in his glory and sit upon the throne of glory to begin His Millennial reign upon the earth.

Symbolism. In the Book of Revelation like and as are used throughout the book which shows us where passages should be taken literally. This is in contrast to the first few chapters of the Book of Genesis. I read this simple rule somewhere but don’t remember where.

“If the literal meaning of a passage leads to obvious absurdity, but a figurative meaning yields clarity, then the passage is probably using symbols. For example, in Exodus 19:4, God tells Israel, “I carried you on eagles’ wings.” A literal reading of this statement would lead to absurdity – God did not use real eagles to airlift His people out of Egypt. The statement is obviously symbolic; God is emphasizing the speed and strength with which He delivered Israel.”

In Revelation 20 You don’t find anywhere the expression “like” or “as” a thousand years. Just like in the Book of Genesis you don’t find “like” and “as” in reference to Adam and Eve or the seven days of creation. The main reason I hold to dispensationalism (the progressive dispensing of revelation) is it is the only method of interpretation that fits in with the literal fulfillment of the prophecies in the Old Testament. Christians can disagree on many of the details of the Second Coming of Christ but we should show enough grace to disagree respectfully realizing none of us are infallible in understanding all the details.

Just the description in the link is informative:

This Counterpoints volume compares three views of the Millennium:

Premillennial: Christ will come again before this kingdom is established.

Postmillennial: our present age represents that kingdom and that the church is and must move toward the fulfillment of this kingdom.

Amillennial: a future Millennium is not a literal kingdom, and when Christ returns, he will usher in an immediate new heaven and new earth.

Look at the descriptions of the three views discussed in the book and consider what we already know the scriptures to teach. How do these brief descriptions match up?
This is how John MacArthur describes these views on the Book of Revelation in his study Bible. I think he sums up the various views logically and succinctly.

The preterist approach interprets Revelation as a description of first-century events in the Roman Empire. This view conflicts with the book’s own often repeated claim to be prophecy (1:3; 22:78, 10, 18-19). It is impossible to see all the events in Revelation as already fulfilled. The second coming of Christ, for example, obviously did not take place in the first century.

The historicist approach views Revelation as a panoramic view of church history from apostolic times to the present – seeing in the symbolism such events as the barbarian invasions of Rome, the rise of the Roman Catholic Church (as well as various individual popes), the emergence of Islam, and the French Revolution. This interpretive method robs Revelation of any meaning for whose wo whom it was written. It also ingores the time limitations the book itself places on the unfolding events (cf. 11:2; 12:6, 14; 13:5). Historicism has produced many different – and often conflicting – interpretations of the actual historical events contained in Revelation. [I might add a comment here. The Scofield Reference Bible, H. A. Ironside, Peter Ruckman and others combine the historicist view with the Futurist view.]

The idealist approach interprets Revelation as a timeless depiction of the cosmic struggle between the forces of good and evil. In this view, the book contains neither historical allusion nor predicitive prophecy. This view also ignores Revelation’s prophetic character and, if carried to its logical conclusion, severs the book from any connection with actual historical events. Revelation then becomes merely a collection of stories designed to teach spiritual truth.

The futurist approach insists that the events of chapters 6-22 are yet future, and that those chapters literally and symbolically depict actual people and events yet to appear on the world scene. It describes the events surrounding the second coming of Jesus Christ (chapters 6-19), the Millennium and final judgment (chapter 20), and the eternal state (chapters 21-22). Only this view does justice to Revelation’s claim to be prophecy and interprets the book by the same grammatical-historical method as chapters 1-3 and the rest of Scripture.

The futurist approach insists that the events of chapters 6-22 are yet future, and that those chapters literally and symbolically depict actual people and events yet to appear on the world scene. It describes the events surrounding the second coming of Jesus Christ (chapters 6-19), the Millennium and final judgment (chapter 20), and the eternal state (chapters 21-22). Only this view does justice to Revelation’s claim to be prophecy and interprets the book by the same grammatical-historical method as chapters 1-3 and the rest of Scripture.
Pretty much how I was always taught Revelation, whether I was attending an IFB, MacArthur-esque or Calvary Chapel. Actually, CC has been most faithful to this view.

As a young believer, I ran up against forms of historicist teaching that left me utterly confused. Fortunately, I gave up trying to fit these interpretations into the Word and just ignored them.

It will be as it was in the days of Noah. Once the last of the elect has entered into Christ, the door will be shut, and judgment will come.

Matt 24:40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. 41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left. 42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

What is this eschatology thing you speak about?

Get on board, or you’ll be Left Behind!

😁

The second coming.