Evangelicals Have Scandals Too <gasp>

Fresh Air

Elect
Reaction score
http://www.worldmag.com/2015/06/tullian_tchividjian_shows_why_we_need_the_billy_graham_rule

...but wait; I thought it was only IFB's that did this kind of thing b/c of all of our legalism. You mean evangelicals who preach against legalism are also prone to sin? Maybe what we thought was the root of the problem wasn't actually the problem then, huh?

<and, tongue in cheek aside, I am in no way rejoicing in this; I will pray for this pastor, his family, and his church>

I read where a king did it too. That king even had a prized soldier killed..... he wasn't a IFB but at least he didn't ADD to the problem by being one. :)

Tom Brennan said:
http://www.worldmag.com/2015/06/tullian_tchividjian_shows_why_we_need_the_billy_graham_rule

...but wait; I thought it was only IFB's that did this kind of thing b/c of all of our legalism. You mean evangelicals who preach against legalism are also prone to sin? Maybe what we thought was the root of the problem wasn't actually the problem then, huh?

<and, tongue in cheek aside, I am in no way rejoicing in this; I will pray for this pastor, his family, and his church>
Not rejoicing over this? But you found time to post and comment on this.......

My sin is NEVER as bad as someone else's.

Recovering IFB said:
Tom Brennan said:

Not rejoicing over this? But you found time to post and comment on this.......

Isn't that what we do here?  Comment on just about everything. Oh wait he's pointing something out that's NOT IFB, my bad.

Carry on!

Everyone has scandals, but the IFB is plagued with them - that being exposed and unexposed scandals. There is another one from what I understand that is very recent. Some people were sitting around the Spill the Beans Coffee Shop in Merrillville and one of the girls with them showed them a Facebook profile of a guy she was excited to get to know. It turned out it was a married staff member from FBC with a secondary FB profile for romancing. Then there is the local cop that told me that there is another HAC grad that is local that responds to naughty Facebook ads for prostitutes. Then there was the deacon and singer that got touchy feely with my ex-wife that I was told to "let the pastor take care of it" when I exposed him. Funny, he is still "deaconing" and still singing on the platform. When the rubber meets the road, legalism leads to pride and pride leads to a fall, Sadly the fall is very often sexual.

I am so done with FBC and quite frankly I think until the leaders of past that still prey (certainly not pray)  there are gone, God is too.

Why didn't they sweep it under the rug, call on the victim to repent, or send him off to Germany as a missionary?

Tom Brennan said:

I just only heard about this on this forum but I looked for different news articles and found a couple that said his wife cheated on him first. Of course true or not it still means he sinned against God (see Psalm 51).  That's the important thing here.  No man can say before God he was in the right because "she started it". It's childish to think that way.

Tom Brennan said:

Weak post Tom. Not surprised coming from you. You have defended the corrupt regime in Hammond for many years on this forum. You really should be ashamed of yourself. The difference is that this is publicly dealt with including him naming his own sin. Tell me the last time that has happened in fundyland! 

Tom Brennan said:

There is scandal and sin in every organization.  It does seem more prevalent in IFB circles but that maybe just perception. The reason that many come down harder on IFB leaders is that we were taught in IFB circles that the rules would keep people from sin...that was the purpose. The old illustration of standing as far away from the cliff (sin) so don't go to movies so you don't think like worldly people. It doesn't work. It doesn't work for the leadership and it doesn't work for the members.

Recently there was a story about a policeman that was arrested for illegally purchasing/selling steroids. It was bad enough it was a policeman but he also was a leader in DARE Program. It made what he did worse. Bad enough to be a policeman and break the law...even worse to be a policeman/leader in DARE and break drug laws. Bad enough to be a minister who falls into sin...worse to be a minister who pushed man made rules to supposedly protect people from sin and fall into adultery. 

Let me be clear...I think any Christian leader who falls into sin so that he should resign does great harm to the cause of Christ.

There's a big difference between a man admitting his sin and stepping down without being caught in it first.....and a coward stepping down only because he got caught.

Where is Frag? He needs to be here to give Tom a big old DOEG!!!!

But it won't happen. After all only the IFB MOGs are "anointed".

subllibrm said:
After all only the IFB MOGs are "anointed".
Oh, but the journey for them once they are "anointed" is far from over, and the struggle for the honorary doctorate is never an easy one.

How many books must be written?
How many souls must be won?
How many "old paths" sermons must be preached?

The list of those awaiting this long-sought fundy handout is long, but how glorious and blessed it will be when they can finally put that humbling title of "Dr." on their books, tweets, weblogs, and podcasts!

FreeToBeMe said:
There's a big difference between a man admitting his sin and stepping down without being caught in it first.....and a coward stepping down only because he got caught.

Exactly!
But, I think the latter may be more in play here than a surface reading of the story might first imply.

Tarheel Baptist said:
But, I think the latter may be more in play here than a surface reading of the story might first imply.
...and until more official facts about this come out, this statement is merely speculation based on second - and possibly third, fourth, fifth - hand information, and gossip.

FreeToBeMe said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
...and until more official facts about this come out, this statement is merely speculation based on second - and possibly third, fourth, fifth - hand information, and gossip.

Perhaps. I have an acquaintance who attends Coral Ridge and the elders told the church on  at least 2 different occasions that thier Pastor was taking time off to deal with family issues....nothing of which would require his resignation. It seems they (the elders)were not told the rest of the story at first.

That is from the elders to him to me! ;)

LongGone said:
Tom Brennan said:

There is scandal and sin in every organization.  It does seem more prevalent in IFB circles but that maybe just perception. The reason that many come down harder on IFB leaders is that we were taught in IFB circles that the rules would keep people from sin...that was the purpose. The old illustration of standing as far away from the cliff (sin) so don't go to movies so you don't think like worldly people. It doesn't work. It doesn't work for the leadership and it doesn't work for the members.

Recently there was a story about a policeman that was arrested for illegally purchasing/selling steroids. It was bad enough it was a policeman but he also was a leader in DARE Program. It made what he did worse. Bad enough to be a policeman and break the law...even worse to be a policeman/leader in DARE and break drug laws. Bad enough to be a minister who falls into sin...worse to be a minister who pushed man made rules to supposedly protect people from sin and fall into adultery. 

Let me be clear...I think any Christian leader who falls into sin so that he should resign does great harm to the cause of Christ.

Very good post.

I have never seen a post here that says scandal never happens in the evangelical churches. Sadly I can name more than I wish (not counting the prosperity pimps as evangelicals btw) but then again, there are many more evangelicals and often more high profile. Sad in all cases nonetheless.

Tom Brennan said:

Remember Jim Baker? Over 30 years ago? Mid 80s.

Not IFB, AOG.

He was having his problems at the same time the DH thing was heating up. Nice diversion.

He was mocked and derided for much less than we had at FBCH.

Made great cover for us.