Examples of gluttony

Anchor

Elect
Reaction score
Doing a study on gluttony.  What are some definitive examples of someone being a glutton from scripture[/b]?

The prodigal from Luke 15--"...wasted his substance in riotous living"--may fit the bill of the "riotous men" of Prov. 28:7 or "riotous eaters of flesh" of Prov. 23:20.

Any others come to mind?

Tony Hutson loves to eat but he will make light of his weight and tell fat women jokes in his sermons. He's one of God's clowns.

TonyHutsonComedian said:
Tony Hutson loves to eat but he will make light of his weight and tell fat women jokes in his sermons. He's one of God's clowns.

Might have missed on the "examples FROM SCRIPTURE" qualification, but thanks for playing.

I'm not sure what you're looking for but (Judges 3:22),  Judges 3:22  "And the hilt also went in after the blade, and the fat closed over the blade, for he did not pull the sword out of his belly; and the dung came out."

Also 1 Sam. 4:18, "1 Samuel 4:18 (ASV) And it came to pass, when he made mention of the ark of God, that [Eli] feel from off his seat backward by the side of the gate; and his neck brake, and he died: for he was an old man, and heavy. And he had judged Israel forty years. "
https://www.biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/bible-verses-about-gluttony/

Edwards said:
I'm not sure what you're looking for but (Judges 3:22),  Judges 3:22  "And the hilt also went in after the blade, and the fat closed over the blade, for he did not pull the sword out of his belly; and the dung came out."

Also 1 Sam. 4:18, "1 Samuel 4:18 (ASV) And it came to pass, when he made mention of the ark of God, that [Eli] feel from off his seat backward by the side of the gate; and his neck brake, and he died: for he was an old man, and heavy. And he had judged Israel forty years. "
https://www.biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/bible-verses-about-gluttony/
I understand where you're coming from and appreciate it.  However, is there any biblical evidence that gluttony caused their being "fat"/"heavy"?

We know that Lot's incest was a direct result of his being drunk; that Nadab and Abihu's demise resulted from their deviant worship; etc.  What I'm looking for is clear biblical examples of "this is what gluttony looks like" or "this thing happened because so-and-so was gluttonous."

In reference to the OP here is what I think is the answer to the question "What does biblical gluttony look like?"

(3) It looks like Hophni and Phineas
      (a) I Sam. 2:12 FF ??Now the sons of Eli were sons of Belial; they knew not the Lord. 13And the                      priest's custom with the people was, that, when any man offered sacrifice, the priest's servant came, while the flesh was in seething, with a fleshhook of three teeth in his hand; 14And he struck it into the pan, or kettle, or caldron, or pot; all that the fleshhook brought up the priest took for himself. So they did in Shiloh unto all the Israelites that came thither?.15Give flesh to roast for the priest; for he will not have sodden flesh of thee, but raw?.16?thou shalt give it me now: and if not, I will take it by force. 17Wherefore the sin of the young men was very great before the Lord: for men abhorred the offering of the Lord?.22Now Eli was very old, and heard all that his sons did unto all Israel; and how they lay with the women that assembled at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.  23And he said unto them, Why do ye such things? for I hear of your evil dealings by all this people. 24Nay, my sons; for it is no good report that I hear: ye make the Lord's people to transgress. 25If one man sin against another, the judge shall judge him: but if a man sin against the Lord, who shall intreat for him? Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto the voice of their father, because the Lord would slay them.?

(b) Dr. Kevin Bauder; Proclaim and Defend blog [A ministry of the FBFI]; July 10, 2018
            (i) ?Perhaps the clearest biblical example of this kind of person is provided by Eli?s sons, Hophni and Phineas.
                    (aa) They refused the provision that God had made for them.
                    (bb) They insisted?even to the extent of force?upon satisfying their appetites in forbidden      ways.
                    (cc) Their appetites included not only foods but other sensual pleasures.
                    (dd) They rejected their father?s counsel and warnings.
                    (ee) They were sons of Belial (1 Sam. 2:11-25).
          (ii) That is what gluttony looks like.?

Honest question....

Why do you need a Biblical example of the negative effects of gluttony.  Look around you...God has put the result of living an intemperate lifestyle all around you.  Overeating - My 600lb life, 40 year old people needing a scooter at Walmart, Chris Christie :)

I wonder sometimes if God gets annoyed with us for demanding that he spell everything out for us in detail.  I hate it when someone says, "Show me a proof verse that I shouldn't get high."  "Show me a proof verse that abortion is wrong."  "Show me a proof verse that Lady Gaga is bad."  I think God gives us plenty of principles to follow and expects us to use our good sense, along with the leading of the Holy Ghost, to them make the proper applications.  Not that every man's opinion should be counted as doctrine (this leads to legalism), but there should be some common agreement about a great many things without God shoving it directly in our face.

cpizzle said:
Honest question....

Why do you need a Biblical example of the negative effects of gluttony.  Look around you...God has put the result of living an intemperate lifestyle all around you.  ...
It was not a quest for the negative effects of gluttony.  Those are obvious enough from Dt. 21:18-21 "...our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice: he is a glutton , and a drunkard. And the men...shall stone him with stones, that he die...".  The negative effects of gluttony are that you deserve stoning, not being uncomfortable on an airplane or mocked on the playground.

The example search was to help define what biblical gluttony actually was.  And frankly, being overweight has absolutely nothing to do with being a biblical glutton.  Undisciplined perhaps; more likely a combination of genetic pre-disposition and some discipline factors.  But gluttony? Not even a hint scripturally.

OTOH, in our current culture where body image is one of the more prevalent objects of worship, being "overweight", or (as in my case) under-tall  ;) is the most egregious of sins. 

After doing the study I am ready to go out on a limb and state that our evangelical culture's obsession with weight reflects our condescension to  idolatry far more than it reflects our desire for a Christ-like standard.

I'm about 25 lbs overweight......but I'm going back to my normal weight......which is 15 lbs overweight :)

My extra poundage is  because I eat too much and exercise too little.  That's on me and my "gluttony" when it comes to fried foods and Mt. Dew.  I'm going on a cruise in 3 weeks.....I will be glutonous to a fault.  However, I recognize my flaw and I have  a true desire to overcome it.  The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Anchor said:
After doing the study I am ready to go out on a limb and state that our evangelical culture's obsession with weight reflects our condescension to  idolatry far more than it reflects our desire for a Christ-like standard.

Yep!