Falling Out between Chappell and Sword of the Lord

labaptist

Elect
Reaction score
What caused the falling out between Paul Chappell and Sword of the Lord? He used to have sermons published in the Sword, used to speak at the National Sword conference and have ads in the Sword but for some reason I no longer see them. PCC is accredited and still has big ads in the Sword so I guess that can't be the reason.

labaptist said:
What caused the falling out between Paul Chappell and Sword of the Lord? He used to have sermons published in the Sword, used to speak at the National Sword conference and have ads in the Sword but for some reason I no longer see them. PCC is accredited and still has big ads in the Sword so I guess that can't be the reason.

Interesting.

He does not appear in the "Vault" section either.

https://swordsermonvault.com/collections

David Cloud says he's heard nothing of any "split".

labaptist said:
What caused the falling out between Paul Chappell and Sword of the Lord?

Write to him and ask him.

Paul.Chappell@lancasterbaptist.org

I don't know all of the implications. But I did go to church/college there.  I'm pretty sure from what I had heard was that there may have been some tension because of the popularity of the leadership conference they host and how well-attended it was and how the Sword conference crowd seemed to dwindle in comparison.  Also, I think there were some differences in philosophies between the "camps" and the handling of issues among the IFB movement as well.

labaptist said:

Chappell is considered liberal by the SOTL crowd. He's also gaining much more popularity than Shelton Smith. This is why some big names such as Trieber, Shelton Smith, Tony Hutson, and Fugate split from him.

Keep this in mind, the IFB movement is no longer US-based only. It is international. Chappell, being the saavy and intelligent businessman, is reaching a broader base internationally. He doesn't care about IFB-domestic as much anymore. This is the reason Spiritual Leadership has shifted its focus towards Asia. The US conference changed to something much more smaller.

I know Keith Gomez and Bob Gray thought of Chappell as liberal but until a few years ago, Chappell at least spoke at the annual Sword conference at Gospel Light.

labaptist said:
I know Keith Gomez and Bob Gray

Now there's a "standard" for ya!

TheRealJonStewart said:
labaptist said:

Chappell is considered liberal by the SOTL crowd. He's also gaining much more popularity than Shelton Smith. This is why some big names such as Trieber, Shelton Smith, Tony Hutson, and Fugate split from him.

I don't think they "split from him" because he was popular, but because they didn't agree with the direction he was taking.

Walt said:
TheRealJonStewart said:
labaptist said:

I don't think they "split from him" because he was popular, but because they didn't agree with the direction he was taking.

What "direction" is he taking?

Twisted said:
Walt said:
TheRealJonStewart said:
labaptist said:

I think they are concerned about compromise: per the FFF, he sends (or sent) staff to Hybels' (or someone of that ilk) conference on becoming a popular church; he recommends books by authors that are enemies of fundamentalism; the music there is seen as getting more worldly.

In short, I suspect that that are concerned that he is becoming the Billy Graham of the next generation.

Walt said:
Twisted said:
Walt said:
TheRealJonStewart said:
labaptist said:

I think they are concerned about compromise: per the FFF, he sends (or sent) staff to Hybels' (or someone of that ilk) conference on becoming a popular church; he recommends books by authors that are enemies of fundamentalism; the music there is seen as getting more worldly.

In short, I suspect that that are concerned that he is becoming the Billy Graham of the next generation.

Interesting.  Do you have any examples of the books he recommends?

I'm not a fan of Chappell. He used to employ my ex-brother-in-law back in the 90s. But, that's not the reason. There's been a shift to the left in some areas by Chappell, and he is getting to be more the "David Cloud" of the moderate half of the IFB movement. He's more into the numbers than the gospel in my opinion. I'm not saying he doesn't preach the Gospel of Christ, because, clearly he does, but, not as often as the stricter sect of fundamentalism.

Was never a Chappell fan even in the 90's when I lived out in Cali. Been to the church there several times in Lancaster. Little bit too smooth and polished for me. If he were preaching across town, I wouldn't take the time to go hear him even though he knows me. I used to work for his one time best friend. But that's just my taste and opinion.

Was never a Chappell fan even in the 90's when I lived out in Cali. Been to the church there several times in Lancaster. Little bit too smooth and polished for me. If he were preaching across town, I wouldn't take the time to go hear him even though he knows me. I used to work for his one time best friend. But that's just my taste and opinion.
He was always rude and obnoxious to me when I asked questions around the time of my xbil's end of employment there. I was glad my he, my sister, and the kids got away from there. Seems very dictatorial to me!