Favorite Christian Womenhood Spectacular

sword

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Please list place and year if you remember.

What was your favorite Christian Womenhood Spectacular or other ladies meeting and why (details)?

Feel free to list several, but one year per post please.

As male's generally don't attend women's meetings, my only one was in March 1980 when I was selected to take photos of the Sword Woman's Jubilee at Central Baptist Church in Pomona, CA.

I had up-close contact with Dr. Rice, met and talked to Dr. Hutson and took photos of the event.

This is the event where Dr. Rice had all the ladies stand and then prayed that all the ladies standing would have a baby.  Women screamed and sat down when he prayed that.

He also called all women who wore pants "trash". 

Needless to say it was a memorable event.

The first Spectacular I ever attended waa not my favorite, but it's probably the one I've talked about the most.

I believe it was likely only the 2nd or 3rd year of the conference, and it was held in November, including Mrs. Evans's birthday.  I was in junior high, so I believe it was 1976 or 1977.
My mom did NOT believe females should ever wear straight hair to church, so I had to wear pink sponge rollers the whole bus trip to Hammond - about 5.5 hours.

We stayed at that Holiday Star Resort in Merrillville (later banned for HAC students) and boarded church buses to ride to 523 Sibley. A young man, presumably a HACker, led a bus program all the way. He told a joke where he said we all thought he was a nut, but at least he was screwed on the right bolt, followed by he may be a crack up, but he was cracked in the right pot.

We were heres like cattle (insert Raider's mooing here) into the auditorium where we xould barely move. There was a crazy lady singing, another crazy lady laughing. I thought the place was nuts.

Then they announced supper. A bossy lady ( Mrs. C) made us march out as sections and , as though we were 5 year olds, told us our mouths weren't needed to walk.

They herded us to an upstairs Beginner SS room...about 50 more of us than should have been in there, handing us a corsage box as we walked in. Those of us who could sat down on the bare, cold tiles floor, and ate tuna salad and crackers. 

Went back to motel with the same bus captain. Slept maybe 4 hours (yes, with sponge rollers, don't forget)  nd repeated the day before only with a different bus captain (who told the same two jokes). Same contents in the box lunch.

I think the theme was TREES or something  like that.

Web said:
Sounds positively dreadful.

I have heard similar stories for years. All include the phrase "herded like cattle".

patriotic said:
My mom did NOT believe females should ever wear straight hair to church, so I had to wear pink sponge rollers the whole bus trip to Hammond - about 5.5 hours.

Okay, I have to know, why did she believe this? Reminds me of my mom saying she remembers when you wouldn't dare walk down 5th Avenue without a hat and gloves.

I had to work at the one and only Spectacular I was ever at. We were instructed to wear nice little dress suits. And clown makeup. I reluctantly let some girl make up my face as a CLOWN. I felt ridiculous. And I don't like clowns. *shiver* I did manage to grab her hand and tell her no when she went to tie a balloon in my hair. I really don't remember too much of the day. Only that it was long and loud. Got home very late and had an hour of sleep before getting up and doing it all over again. I lived at home and my mom kept telling me "you don't have to do this, you don't have to go back." But I did. Again, don't remember anything. Just that I kept nodding off during the second day. The last time I had fallen asleep in church I was around eight years old. Was glad when it was over and got to wash that stuff off. Woke up the next day with a nice little allergic reaction all over my face.

I don't remember any of the Ladies Meeting and I was there 9 years. I even watched them online and thought these ladies are dead....I'm not a big fan of ladies meeting maybe on a smaller scale.

Web said:

I was but 12 or 13. I've learned  to take away from things like that what I want or need and leave insignificant things behind.

Although,  probably THE WORST fight (I'd like to call it an ageee to disagree moment, but nah
It was a fight!)my husband and I have ever had in 3 decades was right after I got home from CWS.

switcher said:
patriotic said:

Okay, I have to know, why did she believe this? Reminds me of my mom saying she remembers when you wouldn't dare walk down 5th Avenue without a hat and gloves.

She didn't like straight hair.

patriotic said:
Web said:

I was but 12 or 13. I've learned  to take away from things like that what I want or need and leave insignificant things behind.

Although,  probably THE WORST fight (I'd like to call it an ageee to disagree moment, but nah
It was a fight!)my husband and I have ever had in 3 decades was right after I got home from CWS.

Glad you finally learned to submit!

RAIDER said:
patriotic said:
Web said:

Or perhaps HE did. ;)

patriotic said:
Web said:

Who won?

RAIDER said:
patriotic said:
Web said:

Huh??? What do you mean?

Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
patriotic said:
Web said:

Or perhaps HE did. ;)

Now that'll preach!

JK

BALAAM said:
patriotic said:
Web said:

Who won?

You really can't guess? ;)
June marks 29 years.  We tied.

patriotic said:
BALAAM said:
patriotic said:
Web said:

Who won?

You really can't guess? ;)
June marks 29 years.  We tied.

Good answer!

patriotic said:
Web said:
Although,  probably THE WORST fight (I'd like to call it an agree to disagree moment, but nah

Feel free to share the details if its not too personal.

Was it related to something you were taught or heard at CWS?  Just wondering.

My favorite one was the first year they didn't have it and every year since. Could never come up to a lot of the nonsense I heard about.

sword said:
patriotic said:
Web said:
Although,  probably THE WORST fight (I'd like to call it an agree to disagree moment, but nah

Feel free to share the details if its not too personal.

Was it related to something you were taught or heard at CWS?  Just wondering.

It's been more than two decades. As most marital spats are, I am sure it was inconsequential. 
My husband has always been very good about caring for our children.. We had 3 under the age of 7 at the time. He had been with them for better part of 72 hours. I had been gone with a bunch of other females. I had done majority of the driving that trip.

We were both tired and grumpy.

And much less experienced at marriage and what might trigger the other, but neither of us remembers what triggered it.  We both remember his saying something like, " A lot of good going to a CHRISTIAN women's meeting did you!"

And I retorted something  along the line that they if they had  CHRISTIAN MEN Spectaculars, no ome would go, because men didn-t think they needed any help, but if they ever did do a meeting like that, I hope I get to speak at it!. Men needed to hear it from a woman!

We laugh about it now.

I always thought the people who should speak on the home and on how to raise children should have grown kids & have grandchildren in their teens or older.

Sometimes you have people speaking on the home who's kids are still young or who have adult children who have not turned out the best. TIME is a great test of methods.

The people in our church who gave my wife & I advice were the ones who had adult children & grandchildren who were in church & serving God in some capacity. They may not have done things exactly like the preacher suggested but they got results. They would never have been asked to teach their parenting ideas before the church but I found their methods worked & I could see the proof in their families.