Favorite Foods and Recipes...

Chicken Dinner On a Budget...

.a chef jean- pierre recipe.. ....i have made this same dish
before almost the same way he does.... but with one big exception.... .
....i leave out the onions..... ..in my opinion onions tend to take over and
dominate whatever foods they are put into.... but some people like it that
way and it;s all a matter of tastes or what we are accustomed to..... so....

add the onions or don;t add the onions... it will still be good... 👩‍🍳..

surfers breakfast......

sorry.... this post is not a recipe.. ... it;s more of a tribute to what has become my favorite kind of
chocolate of all time....😋. ... dark chocolate infused with crushed coffee beans and oats.... :cool:..
... ....is this even available on the mainland?... ..it;s a local hawaiian company so i;m not really sure..
just one more reason for me not to move anywhere else and to stay right here in the islands.....
🏄‍♀️

NewSurfersBreakfast_720x.jpeg

spaghetti with browned butter and mizithra cheese
.... bushman and backcountry style.....

ok...so you might not be able to transport fresh butter into the brush in a backpack
... that;s ok... because there are other ways to accomplish a traditional greek and
italian style pasta and cheese dish using other.. less perishable.. ingredients.... .
.......in the video shedwoods backpacks his way into the wilderness then cooks up
a meal consisting of spaghetti... olive oil... garlic.... and prima donna cheese...
(a little milder and less dry than mizithra)..... but the same thing could be done with
mizithra cheese as well... garlic of course is always optional..(and i had to grimace
a bit when i wrote that coz for me garlic is never optional... it;s a vital necessity)
👩‍🍳

*note... the spaghetti meal comes close to the end of the video... he actually cooks a few other things
first..... and yes..... the food is one of the reasons i like his backpacking videos....👩‍🍳 )

Last edited:
sourdough bread....

has anyone here ever made sour dough bread?..... not counting things like cakes and
brownies.. i have never actualy baked any kind of bread before. ...but i am thinking
of starting a sour dough batch and baking it in the near future since we can;t find
good quality .. fresh baked... sour dough bread here......

i have been reading books on the subject.... but it also helps me sometimes to see
someone else actually demonstrate doing something.... ....and i like the way this
youtube cook/chef/baker makes her videos.....

first step is making sure i have all the tools and equipment..... .

Last edited:
sour dough bread....

has anyone here ever made sour dough bread?..... not counting things like cakes and
brownies.. i have never actualy baked any kind of bread before. ...but i am thinking
of starting a sour dough batch and baking it in the near future since we can;t find

i have been reading books on the subject.... but it also helps me sometimes to see
someone else actually demonstrate doing something.... ....and i like the way this
youtube cook/chef/baker makes her videos.....

first step is making sure i have all the tools and equipment..... .

I haven’t made it, but I’m an expert in eating it. 😋

I've made homemade bread for years, but I haven't made sourdough bread. (Not sure if I've ever eaten it, either!) From what I've heard, it's a bit finicky. If you've never made bread before, it might pay to start off with something like a basic white bread recipe and get familiar with the techniques. Breadmaking isn't hard, but it might take a few tries to get it right. My first loaf of bread was a brick.

I've made homemade bread for years, but I haven't made sourdough bread. (Not sure if I've ever eaten it, either!) From what I've heard, it's a bit finicky. If you've never made bread before, it might pay to start off with something like a basic white bread recipe and get familiar with the techniques. Breadmaking isn't hard, but it might take a few tries to get it right. My first loaf of bread was a brick.

i didn;t know you were a bread baker.... that;s pretty awesome... :).. ....someone here in my family was telling me the same thing you said.... that it wasn;t as easy as recipes can make it sound..... especially sourdough... ... but she said if i keep it simple and start off with a basic mix intended for sourdough bread bowls... like we love to use for clam chowder.. , then i shouldn;t have too many problems..... ...but if i do and if i mess it up and have to start over more than once... then i;ll probably wait until she has more time and can help me... .. she said she would if i needed her to.....

have you ever made beer bread?.. .. would it be a hard type to start off with?....... .... until recently we were able to find artisan beer bread without any trouble... .... it is always on the shopping list ... the quality was always good - but it has become rare in the bakery in the past year... ...... so i might try that too eventually....

Last edited:
i didn;t know you were a bread baker.... that;s pretty awesome...

My dad's mother made a lot of bread and pastry, so my dad picked up the art. I don't make my own bread regularly, but I know from experience it's a darn sight better than buying a loaf of sliced bread from the store.

have you ever made beer bread?..

I haven't. My experience is somewhat limited to some variation of white or whole-wheat bread, Irish soda bread, or pizza dough. I took a quick look for beer bread recipes, though, and it isn't that much different from a soda bread. I should try it sometime. Sounds good.

My dad's mother made a lot of bread and pastry, so my dad picked up the art. I don't make my own bread regularly, but I know from experience it's a darn sight better than buying a loaf of sliced bread from the store.

I haven't. My experience is somewhat limited to some variation of white or whole-wheat bread, Irish soda bread, or pizza dough. I took a quick look for beer bread recipes, though, and it isn't that much different from a soda bread. I should try it sometime. Sounds good.

we don;t buy as much of the packaged sliced bread as we use to.... because.. like you say... it;s just not that good anymore.... and the quality doesn;t justify how expensive it has gotten.....we keep it on hand for those in the household who like to make sandwiches and toast.... but it is rare now for a loaf of bread to be finished off before it goes stale...

garlic bread done the way buca di beppos does it is another thing i have always wanted to learn to make.... we have actually gone to buca di beppo before just for that and nothing else... but we live really close to one, so when we wanted to have it at home we just called in an order and picked it up to go...... kinda missed it during the pandemic lockdowns though...

and pizza dough sounds like it would be hard to make well..... .it;s usually the part that either makes or breaks a home made pizza for me....it;s actually the part that can make or break a delivered or store bought pizza too.....

Last edited:
and pizza dough sounds like it would be hard to make well..... .it;s usually the part that either makes or breaks a home made pizza for me....it;s actually the part that can make or break a delivered or store bought pizza too.....
Pizza dough actually isn't more difficult than regular bread. It's basically the same ingredients as a basic white bread--flour, water, sugar, salt, yeast--only it's made from batter rather than dough, so it technically doesn't need kneading. I say technically because in reality I find it too stiff to mix with a spoon, so I end up turning it onto the counter and giving it a knead anyway. The principal difference is that the recipe I use only needs one rising, rather than two like a loaf of bread.

Pizza dough actually isn't more difficult than regular bread. It's basically the same ingredients as a basic white bread--flour, water, sugar, salt, yeast--only it's made from batter rather than dough, so it technically doesn't need kneading. I say technically because in reality I find it too stiff to mix with a spoon, so I end up turning it onto the counter and giving it a knead anyway. The principal difference is that the recipe I use only needs one rising, rather than two like a loaf of bread.
what about tossing/spinning it?... ..i have only seen it done once in a mom and pop shop restaurant... .(it was in san francisco and had big windows facing the sidewalk).... does that make a difference in how the crust turns out?.....i kinda wish we had tried the pizza in that san fran restaurant.... but we were actually on our way to china town that day to another mom and pop style place....

i would love to see your recipe posted.... :)....a really good pizza is something i eventually want to learn to make myself..... . . ..the quality of what we get delivered nowdays is too hit and miss... ... and then there was that news story claiming a high percentage of delivery personnel admitted to sampling and nibbling food they delivered.. 🍕 .. it said pizza was especially vulnerable.... .:confused:

Last edited:
been working on mongolian hot pot soup most of the day today.... it;s what;s for dinner tonight....
... went to china town earlier today to pick up ingredients and the right kind of vegetables..... then
put the soup all together and let it slow cook all afternoon..... it;s ready now and all the meats
and veggies are cut... just waiting on everybody to get home that is going be here tonight.... 👩‍🍳

the ones working tonight will have to settle for hospital cafeteria food or make a run to mcdonalds..
. or jack in the box... but this is what they will miss out on.. .. along with all the meats and veggies
that will go with it..... 🥘

thumbnail_IMG_0008 copy.jpeg

i actually made it the same way as the recipe i posted before.... ...the soup base itself is something that takes much
more time to prepare from scratch than i had yesterday.... .. so here;s the way i did it - using the prepackaged soup
base from
little sheep mongolian hot pot company....

chinese mongolian hot pot - soup

so..... .. i was looking at the best way to write down the recipe we use to make our hot pot soup base
and i was told by an expert on the subject.. (who is part of our household)... that most of the specialty
spices she buys that we put into it all come from our local china town markets and all have chinese names..
...plus the people selling them only speak chinese and not a single label on anything is written in english...

i knew this already.... i;m usually right there with her when she shops for these things.... and to be honest

chinese is not one of the 6 languages i know.... so i am as much in the dark as anyone would be trying to
purchase the ingredients in a chinese market...... ... but what she suggested.... and it;s a method we have
used before.... (especially when she was unavailable to help)..... is to buy the ready made package of little
sheep mongolian hot pot soup base...... (available on line from amazon... ebay ..and other sources).... and
the just follow the directions.........

61FLlj24S6L._SL1200_ copy.jpeg

but if you do this and use one of these ready mixed based..... be prepared to add more water (or chicken broth)
to the mix as the instructions they give make it come out very dry and salty.... if the package calls for 5 cups of water
and etc... we use 8... or 9.... depending on how concentrated or thin we want it..... ..you can also chop up extra green
onion pieces to add in and extra garlic cloves because they always go light on those.... .... basically just add additional
appropriate seasonings to your liking.... and taste as you go along.... we add extra chinese red chili peppers.... but that;s
an aqquired taste not many can handle in large quanitities..... .. so be careful....

then once the soup is on the stove...... prepare whatever vegetables and meats you want to go with it.....
...we use bok choy cabbage.... broccoli... napa valley cabbage chopped into mabageable pieces... shiitake
or enoki mushrooms
... (which ever you like or can find).... artificial crab pieces.... thinly sliced beef... tofu-fish
squares
... (you might not be able to get that one.. but square cut pieces of regular tofu are good too)...fresh spinach
..chicken breasts...(cut into medium to small pieces) .... freshwater fish..(white not red).... and we don;t use all of the
things all the time.... just whichever ones we have on hand or feel like cooking ... basically you can add any fresh vegetable
you like.. ... you can even open a package of ramen noodles and add that to it..... we usually dont... but many of our friends do...
....... so in short.... hot pot soup will always be different depending on who makes it.... but it always starts with a similar base
and when in doubt you can;t go wrong using one that is pre-packaged and already mixed.... plus they also make versions
that are mild.... (in a green package).... and are not as spicy as the ones we make.... ....

the way we serve this is have it either just at the boiling point or above.. on a gas burner in the center of the table.... and then place...... all the vegetables... meats... and other ingredients uncooked on separate dishes or plates around it.... family can then select whatever....... they like and cook it to there liking in the pot of soup holding with cooking chopsticks or tongs.... then dish out some hot soup and put it....... all together in their own bowl.....be sure to keep a thermos or appropriate container of extra hot broth ready to add to soup pot if starts ...... to boil down..... .. that;s about it......good luck and bon appe'tite... 👩‍🍳