FBC invitation

tobytyler

Elect
Reaction score
Usually, the live stream will turn off as the invitation is beginning.  This morning, Easter morning, the live stream continued as Pastor Wilkerson started to read the names of those making professions of faith.  This was the first that I've seen since his coming to FBC, and I was shocked how he asked each person 3 questions, making it much more personal for the new converts.

This reminded me of how Lee Roberson led the Highland Park invitations and how Clarence Sexton leads the Temple Baptist, Knoxville invitations.

My question to the current FBC members, has the way of baptism also changed?  Does Pastor Wilkerson baptize some of the converts?
If the pastor doesn't baptize, who does?  I know Colsten and Moffitt held the duties for decades, and I was wondering if that too has changed.

So far, I like the changes that have been made.  (The choir now needs to use a hymnal as more than 2 verses are sung!)

Pastor Wilkerson has baptized someone a time or two at their request... Moffitt, Vogel, Woosley, Lutz, and a handful of other men are the usual "baptizers." Colsten is just not able to do it anymore for obvious reasons..

It is nice to see the pastor making it a little more personal for those professing faith. Not so mechanical and assembly line-ish.

What role does Dr. Auclair now have at FBC?  Does he baptize?  Does he teach at HAC or oversee any of the HB schools?

I am not an authority...since no one really knows what anyone's role is at FBC...
(people who were said to have resigned or been laid off are sitting on the platform, have they been rehired? who knows? and what do all those people do who are on staff, anyway? who really knows!)

But, BA's wife continues to work at the grade school, she is the librarian. Up until recently, BA was one of the baptizers. Haven't seen him up there in a couple of weeks, but he could be ill or on vacation.

As far as I know, he works in the publishing or advertising world now.

longlivedunkin said:
Pastor Wilkerson has baptized someone a time or two at their request... Moffitt, Vogel, Woosley, Lutz, and a handful of other men are the usual "baptizers." Colsten is just not able to do it anymore for obvious reasons..

It is nice to see the pastor making it a little more personal for those professing faith. Not so mechanical and assembly line-ish.

Is he bring referred to and called "Pastor" Wilkerson instead of "Brother" Wilkerson? 

I have no problem with "Brother", but I like "Pastor So-and-So"  better than either "Brother So-and-So" or "Preacher".  There's a whole lot of difference between being a preacher and being a pastor.  I think many "Preachers" and "Brothers So-and-So" have forgotten how to be "Pastor So-and-So". 

myeyesareopen said:
I am not an authority...since no one really knows what anyone's role is at FBC...
(people who were said to have resigned or been laid off are sitting on the platform, have they been rehired? who knows? and what do all those people do who are on staff, anyway? who really knows!)

But, BA's wife continues to work at the grade school, she is the librarian. Up until recently, BA was one of the baptizers. Haven't seen him up there in a couple of weeks, but he could be ill or on vacation.

As far as I know, he works in the publishing or advertising world now.

myeyesareopen is correct... He may still baptize but he's not on church payroll. Hasn't been for a couple years now. Works for a printing/graphics company in South Holland, IL I believe...

It would be nice to know what staff people are still at FBC / HAC and who has left. I hear one thing this week and the opposite the next week.

Can someone please start a thread on who is where and how they are doing.

sword said:
It would be nice to know what staff people are still at FBC / HAC and who has left. I hear one thing this week and the opposite the next week.

Can someone please start a thread on who is where and how they are doing.

I have a close relative on the church staff and it is amazing to me how little they even know. You would think they have first hand information but I probably hear more about staff members at the college and other ministries than the staff at the church do.

Yes, we are calling him Pastor Wilkerson.  And, I love how he does the invitation and how he asks each person who has accepted Christ as their saviour.  It was funny on Sunday, he even wore a blue shirt instead of white.  OMG.  I don't think anyone on the platform has ever worn anything other than white.  The kids at HB love it when he comes out to the schools.  He and Mrs. Wilkerson goes out to the lobby as soon as church is over and greets people.  It is so different.  As far as singing it's a hoot.  He starts the morning service with telling people what page to turn to and begins singing.  We sing all verses.  He's got Mrs. Colsten all flustered and Bro. Cuozzo, he's in a cloud sometimes.  Pastor can sing, too. 

Still There, I wish you guys the best. Pastor Wilkerson sounds normal! Hearts can be mended-I know the Great Physician :)

Still There said:
Yes, we are calling him Pastor Wilkerson.  And, I love how he does the invitation and how he asks each person who has accepted Christ as their saviour.  It was funny on Sunday, he even wore a blue shirt instead of white.  OMG.  I don't think anyone on the platform has ever worn anything other than white.  The kids at HB love it when he comes out to the schools.  He and Mrs. Wilkerson goes out to the lobby as soon as church is over and greets people.  It is so different.  As far as singing it's a hoot.  He starts the morning service with telling people what page to turn to and begins singing.  We sing all verses.  He's got Mrs. Colsten all flustered and Bro. Cuozzo, he's in a cloud sometimes.  Pastor can sing, too.

If he takes the add'l time to ask each convert the three questions, does the morning service get out past the normal 12:30?

Still There said:

Hey, it's starting to sound like...a real church! :)

Still There said:
This all sounds good.  Sounds like you and _ _ _  have something to look forward to, besides death and taxes, on Sunday.  I'm happy for you.

Anishinabe

Still There said:
  As far as singing it's a hoot.  He starts the morning service with telling people what page to turn to and begins singing.  We sing all verses.  He's got Mrs. Colsten all flustered and Bro. Cuozzo, he's in a cloud sometimes.

HaHa:) this is true. Mario C. looks like a deer in headlights sometimes during the song part of the service lol :D

longlivedunkin said:
Still There said:
  As far as singing it's a hoot.  He starts the morning service with telling people what page to turn to and begins singing.  We sing all verses.  He's got Mrs. Colsten all flustered and Bro. Cuozzo, he's in a cloud sometimes.

HaHa:) this is true. Mario C. looks like a deer in headlights sometimes during the song part of the service lol :D

You know, I wish I was there to see all this.
He sounds like me...I do all kinds of unpredictable things in the service!

I view the live stream on occasion and I've liked the changes that the new pastor has implemented.  The only downside is that they turn off the live stream as the invitation song ends, so nothing beyond that can be viewed. (i.e. reading of the converts' names, baptism, etc)

I wish that the live stream would continue until the very end of the live services.  You FBC members....put that into the suggestion box!

I think the healing is beginning.  No, 12:30 and we're done.  He's off the platform too, greeting the folks in the lobby.  Just love it.  He's so personal and the people love it.  Haven't seen that in many years!!!  THANKS all for the support.  FBC has been through a lot of rough waters, and we're not through it all yet, but I think if Pastor Wilkerson can calm the people with his pastoral heart, we'll heal. 

Still There said:
I think the healing is beginning.  No, 12:30 and we're done.  He's off the platform too, greeting the folks in the lobby.  Just love it.  He's so personal and the people love it.  Haven't seen that in many years!!!  THANKS all for the support.  FBC has been through a lot of rough waters, and we're not through it all yet, but I think if Pastor Wilkerson can calm the people with his pastoral heart, we'll heal.

The healing will have begun when the service ends before noon.  :)

Still There said:

You are right that you aren't through it yet. I talked to a long time deacon the other day and they are very worried that a bunch of civil lawsuits are going to start coming at fbch from all of js's other "spiritual love interests". Apparently, there is a lot more to the story than just one fling.

Finally had time to listen to one of his messages all the way through on YT. Found a Sunday night that was only 29 minutes long. Between that and singing all the verses........ you know the place has gone stinkin' lib'ral. the message and delivery were refreshing. Wishing him well; still a little disturbed about the ingrained mentality of some of the people.