FBCH making things right?

Jo said:
sword said:
RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:
You speak as if it happened a few months ago. Dave Hyles left Hammond over 40 years ago.
40 years is a bit high. If my memory is right Davey-boy left in 1982 or 1983.
I'm thinking it was around 1981.

35 years is still a long time.

In 35 years, 45 years or 55 years, a LEGACY is established.

My vote?  Change the name of the college.

Here's the thing:

If you have a HAC yearbook from the late 70s and see a photo of a young handsome Jack Schaap, it is very likely that you will see a photo of me on the same page.  I remember walking down the hallway to my dorm and seeing a very, very happy young couple - Jack Schaap and Cindy Hyles walking toward the chapel.  I was a quiet observer, thinking how lucky Cindy was to have such a wonderful family.

I also sat across from Linda Hyles in Mrs. Evans' class.  I thought she was so very fortunate to have a mother and father who served the Lord so faithfully.

In the 80s,  I was at a youth group rally in Garland when the pastor of the church had the large audience practice standing up to cheer when Dave Hyles came into the auditorium.  We practiced.  "No, do it louder," the pastor kindly insisted.  We did it again louder.

When Dave finally entered the large auditorium, all of those teenagers had the opportunity to scream and yell for a man they really didn't know, nor did I.  All of the Hyles family was present, except perhaps Beverly (can't remember her being there).  Becky stood up to speak first.  She said something like, "You all need to remember he is human."  I thought that was interesting thing for her to say, but it made sense about a year later.

After the story about Dave at Miller Road came out, the puzzle pieces started to come together.  I called his former secretary, also a HAC grad.  We sat down and discussed what had happened.  Not only was there sexual misconduct, there was also a lot of robbing Peter to pay Paul financial things going on.

There were other rumors and other things going on that didn't affect me personally, but ALL of it - the bus ride while I was a student at HAC and heard a young Joy, who was not yet a college student, telling a friend, "He took me to a hotel.....", talking with an old friend recently who knew about Tim Smith and the 17 year old.....and then talking with a pastor in the Indiana area last year who said, in reference to Schaap, "IF it happened."  Something inside me swelled up and said, "IT happened!" as I looked him straight in the eye.

I'm tired of the lies, of the vicious cycle of taking advantage of people's finances, their spiritual life, their personal lives.  I know there are some good people who want to serve the Lord who are caught up in the IFB, but I never will be again.  I haven't been part of it for many years.

There is also emotional and spiritual abuse that many people have gone through because of this cycle.  It's alarming. 

I need to read my Bible now and remind my soul to look to the hills for help and healing.

Jo said:
In the 80s,  I was at a youth group rally in Garland when the pastor of the church had the large audience practice standing up to cheer when Dave Hyles came into the auditorium.  We practiced.  "No, do it louder," the pastor kindly insisted.  We did it again louder.

Clapping is one thing; to practice it......give me a break!

Jo said:
Here's the thing:

If you have a HAC yearbook from the late 70s and see a photo of a young handsome Jack Schaap, it is very likely that you will see a photo of me on the same page.  I remember walking down the hallway to my dorm and seeing a very, very happy young couple - Jack Schaap and Cindy Hyles walking toward the chapel.  I was a quiet observer, thinking how lucky Cindy was to have such a wonderful family.

I also sat across from Linda Hyles in Mrs. Evans' class.  I thought she was so very fortunate to have a mother and father who served the Lord so faithfully.

When Dave finally entered the large auditorium, all of those teenagers had the opportunity to scream and yell for a man they really didn't know, nor did I.  All of the Hyles family was present, except perhaps Beverly (can't remember her being there).  Becky stood up to speak first.  She said something like, "You all need to remember he is human."  I thought that was interesting thing for her to say, but it made sense about a year later.

After the story about Dave at Miller Road came out, the puzzle pieces started to come together.  I called his former secretary, also a HAC grad.  We sat down and discussed what had happened.  Not only was there sexual misconduct, there was also a lot of robbing Peter to pay Paul financial things going on.

There were other rumors and other things going on that didn't affect me personally, but ALL of it - the bus ride while I was a student at HAC and heard a young Joy, who was not yet a college student, telling a friend, "He took me to a hotel.....", talking with an old friend recently who knew about Tim Smith and the 17 year old.....and then talking with a pastor in the Indiana area last year who said, in reference to Schaap, "IF it happened."  Something inside me swelled up and said, "IT happened!" as I looked him straight in the eye.

I'm tired of the lies, of the vicious cycle of taking advantage of people's finances, their spiritual life, their personal lives.  I know there are some good people who want to serve the Lord who are caught up in the IFB, but I never will be again.  I haven't been part of it for many years.

There is also emotional and spiritual abuse that many people have gone through because of this cycle.  It's alarming. 

I need to read my Bible now and remind my soul to look to the hills for help and healing.
May I kindly admonish you to...............RUN FOR THE HILLS........of freedom in Christ.

Nobody has ever publicly confessed and repented of all the lies and cover ups from the Dave years. Jack is still worshipped by most and no admission of culpability has EVER been made. Dave's filth started in Hammond and there are people still there who knew it. Wendell Evans and Eddie Lapina would be two who should have been in sackcloth and ashes decades ago right alongside Jack Frasure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Willis Athey said:
Nobody has ever publicly confessed and repented of all the lies and cover ups from the Dave years. Jack is still worshipped by most and no admission of culpability has EVER been made. Dave's filth started in Hammond and there are people still there who knew it. Wendell Evans and Eddie Lapina would be two who should have been in sackcloth and ashes decades ago right alongside Jack Frasure!

While I respect the man and his wife, Larry Staab knows all that happened in the 70's and early 80's as he was the HBHS prinicipal.  He has chosen to stay at FBC and be quiet all these years, although every one of his children bolted
from FBC as soon as they could.  None of the Staab kids went to HAC either.  Dr. Staab could write a book of all that he knows.

tobytyler said:
Willis Athey said:

While I respect the man and his wife, Larry Staab knows all that happened in the 70's and early 80's as he was the HBHS prinicipal.  He has chosen to stay at FBC and be quiet all these years, although every one of his children bolted
from FBC as soon as they could.  None of the Staab kids went to HAC either.  Dr. Staab could write a book of all that he knows.

Some of the Staab kids did go to HAC, though I'm uncertain as to whether any graduated from there. Fyi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tobytyler said:
Willis Athey said:

Very true. My list was obviously not exhaustive. You could include a hundred insiders, former deacons, & staff who turned a blind eye

Larry Staab spoke up, behind the scenes, more than a lot of folks know. He did APPEAR to be silent, but he did know what was right and wrong there. He dealt with things in a way that he thought was most fair, even if it was not "as directed". I agree that he could write a book, and I've even asked why he hasn't! I believe that, for him, he had a large family, the church had his home, car, job, kids. I still think he should've stood for right. He did have a secular education, so a better paying job in the real world  would've been easier for him to get. He was supportive toward his children getting an education outside of HAC. That was not an easy thing, given his position at HBHS. He made mistakes and he did stay, even though he knew what was "behind the curtain". He was a comfort to the victims at HBHS. I must give him some credit for that. I think he could've done very well with a book!

sawthruglassclearly said:
Larry Staab spoke up, behind the scenes, more than a lot of folks know. He did APPEAR to be silent, but he did know what was right and wrong there. He dealt with things in a way that he thought was most fair, even if it was not "as directed". I agree that he could write a book, and I've even asked why he hasn't! I believe that, for him, he had a large family, the church had his home, car, job, kids. I still think he should've stood for right. He did have a secular education, so a better paying job in the real world  would've been easier for him to get. He was supportive toward his children getting an education outside of HAC. That was not an easy thing, given his position at HBHS. He made mistakes and he did stay, even though he knew what was "behind the curtain". He was a comfort to the victims at HBHS. I must give him some credit for that. I think he could've done very well with a book!

The old "golden handcuffs" kept him in line!  Home, car, utilities, food, etc...all tied to loyalty to the grand master.  My boy, Jack Frasure, was brilliant with this tactic!