First Baptist, Greenville, SC to ordain gay and transgenders.

Tarheel Baptist

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
And right under the nose of Bob Jones University!

http://www.charismanews.com/us/51020-first-baptist-church-to-ordain-gay-transgender-ministers

Tarheel Baptist said:

http://www.charismanews.com/us/51020-first-baptist-church-to-ordain-gay-transgender-ministers

BJU, welcome to irrelevance.

Izdaari said:
Hmm. Cooperative Baptist Fellowship. Hadn't heard of that one.

Yeah happened several years ago in the Southern Baptist Convention when the progressives that favored and approved the homosexual lifestyle, the denial of essential doctrines, and opposed the conservative leadership in the convention, made their own group apart from the SBC.

T-Bone said:
Izdaari said:

Yeah happened several years ago in the Southern Baptist Convention when the progressives that favored and approved the homosexual lifestyle, the denial of essential doctrines, and opposed the conservative leadership in the convention, made their own group apart from the SBC.
Ok, thanks for the info.
What essential doctrines, aside from acceptance of gays?

T-Bone said:
Izdaari said:

Baptists! If in doubt, split!

Izdaari said:
T-Bone said:
Izdaari said:

Ok, thanks for the info.

The main one was "only men can be pastors". :eek:

Seriously though, the CBF schools are not overly strict on whether or not the Bible is inerrant.  A commentary on Genesis written before the split questioned whether Adam and Eve were real people, stuff like that.

Agent P said:
Izdaari said:
T-Bone said:
Izdaari said:

Ok, thanks for the info.

The main one was "only men can be pastors". :eek:

Seriously though, the CBF schools are not overly strict on whether or not the Bible is inerrant.  A commentary on Genesis written before the split questioned whether Adam and Eve were real people, stuff like that.
Cool, thanks. Sounds like my kind of Baptists. Except that I'm Episcopalutheran Anglo-Catholic and prefer liturgical, I think I'd fit in just fine.

Tarheel Baptist said:

I wonder how long it will be when the preacher there speaks at commencement for Liberty?

Izdaari said:
T-Bone said:
Izdaari said:

Ok, thanks for the info.

Sorry for late answer, was traveling today.  By nature progressives do not have or require one to have what would be essential doctrines, i.e...Diety of Christ. Virgin birth, substitutionary atonement, Resurrection etc.  They are not in one accord on any of this, therefore to them their non essential.

T-Bone said:
Izdaari said:
T-Bone said:
Izdaari said:

Ok, thanks for the info.

Sorry for late answer, was traveling today.  By nature progressives do not have or require one to have what would be essential doctrines, i.e...Diety of Christ. Virgin birth, substitutionary atonement, Resurrection etc.  They are not in one accord on any of this, therefore to them their non essential.
True, they're not all in agreement on those. Personally, I consider Deity of Christ and Resurrection essential. Virgin birth I think is true, but I don't call it essential because it doesn't matter that much: Christ is still both Man and God without it. Substitutionary Atonement depends on which church tradition. I think Christus Victor and Ransom are equally valid theories, and they're not mutually exclusive.  I give some role to all three, but favor Christus Victor. Exactly HOW Atonement works isn't as important as THAT it works.

On the matters Agent P mentioned: Whether only men can be pastors, inerrancy of the Bible, and whether Adam and Eve wee real people, I side with the progressives, And I would note that some conservative churches, such as Assemblies of God, have always ordained women.

On net balance, I think I come out as a moderate: Definitely not a fundamentalist, but not totally on board with either conservatives or liberals.  And likely I'm more conservative than Episcopal leadership!

Izdaari said:
T-Bone said:
Izdaari said:
T-Bone said:
Izdaari said:

Ok, thanks for the info.

True, they're not all in agreement on those. Personally, I consider Deity of Christ and Resurrection essential. Virgin birth I think is true, but I don't call it essential because it doesn't matter that much: Christ is still both Man and God without it. Substitutionary Atonement depends on which church tradition. I think Christus Victor and Ransom are equally valid theories, and they're not mutually exclusive.  I give some role to all three, but favor Christus Victor. Exactly HOW Atonement works isn't as important as THAT it works.

On the matters Agent P mentioned: Whether only men can be pastors, inerrancy of the Bible, and whether Adam and Eve wee real people, I side with the progressives, And I would note that some conservative churches, such as Assemblies of God, have always ordained women.

On net balance, I think I come out as a moderate: Definitely not a fundamentalist, but not totally on board with either conservatives or liberals.  And likely I'm more conservative than Episcopal leadership!

And more Liberal than any one else here I would suspect.. I never met someone with views like your who professes to be a Christian, but I don't get out much as you would say. I know many in the world, who would share your views, and I get along with them just fine but I don't expect them to read & follow the bible either.

sword said:
Izdaari said:
T-Bone said:
Izdaari said:
T-Bone said:
Izdaari said:

Ok, thanks for the info.

And more Liberal than any one else here I would suspect.. I never met someone with views like your who professes to be a Christian, but I don't get out much as you would say. I know many in the world, who would share your views, and I get along with them just fine but I don't expect them to read & follow the bible either.
There are some others here who usually agree with me, though they may be less up front about it.

I think my theological views are about typical for Christians in the mainline/liberal Protestant denominations:  Baptists (the ones who aren't SBC or IFB, such as ABC), Methodists (UMC), United Christian Church (UCC), Disciples of Christ (DoC), Presbyterians (PCUSA), Lutherans (ELCA). Episcopalians (TEC), etc

I do read the Bible, and try to follow it as best I can. But I don't interpret it the same way IFBs do, that's for sure.