First FBCH 100,000 Day-May 16, 1976

LongGone

Elect
Reaction score
Old timers will remember the first time that FBCH set the goal to have 100,000 attendance on a given Sunday. That day was 40 years ago today. The goal was met. Great stories came from that day as workers and rental buses were sent into some of Chicago's most notorious projects and took people to parks. A great lesson was learned that day and used in the future that bringing people in mass out of the projects with a few workers and no way to control the crowd was not wise. Stories abounded about buses with windows broken out, rental drivers refusing to stay and take the passengers back home. Attendees chasing workers. I was actually in East Chicago for the day. Bill Tate was my roommate and I remember him telling me of his experience in Chicago.

This was a long time ago but if I remember correctly Bob Murillo (now a missionary in Mexico?) was in high school and won a car for bringing the most people in the youth department.

Hyles-Anderson may not have been a normal college experience but we experience some things that many other people have not experienced 8)

LongGone said:
Hyles-Anderson may not have been a normal college experience but we experience some things that many other people have not experienced

That could apply to several things!

It was a great day with tremendous blessings. Sunday School classes on buses, in hallways, under stairwells, and even sitting on the stairs.

At the evening service, Brother Hyles read one congratulatory telegram after another. When he got done, he paused, stared down at the top of the pulpit, and said "And we also received very nice telegrams from Billy Graham and Oral Roberts."

We had a great day on our  ...bus was packed!!

I remember we went to Chicago and had regular Sunday School on the bus and then we went to Cabrini Green and preached 3 times on top of a rented bus.  Our meetings went well but I heard others didn't go as well.  I pray that some of the people that made decisions that day went on and served the Lord.  I worked in Division 2 under Mike Ray.

Back when we did this I thought my how wonderful that all these people heard the gospel.

In retrospect I'm not so sure there were 100,000, I believe the number was quite elastic and was a very evangelistic number that would not comport with reality.

This was I now believe just a publicity stunt to go with our new auditorium expansion and the buzz surrounding it.

bgwilkinson said:
Back when we did this I thought my how wonderful that all these people heard the gospel.

In retrospect I'm not so sure there were 100,000, I believe the number was quite elastic and was a very evangelistic number that would not comport with reality.

This was I now believe just a publicity stunt to go with our new auditorium expansion and the buzz surrounding it.

BG, you know that you and I have had some semi-heated conversations on the FFF.  One side of you frustrates me, while I enjoy many of your other posts.  This is one of the frustrating ones.

You say, "Back when we did this I thought my how wonderful that all these people heard the gospel."  In the next breath you say, "In retrospect I'm not so sure there were 100,000, I believe the number was quite elastic and was a very evangelistic number that would not comport with reality.
This was I now believe just a publicity stunt to go with our new auditorium expansion and the buzz surrounding it."

How in the world can you go from one extreme to the other.  You were there.  You saw people hearing the gospel.  You thought it was wonderful.  Now 30 years later you don't believe the number and you think it was a stunt.  I know some of our views change as time goes on.  I just don't understand the complete 180.

Eyes wide open.

Keep it up BG.

Remember , some will never see their error .

RAIDER said:
How in the world can you go from one extreme to the other.  You were there.  You saw people hearing the gospel.  You thought it was wonderful.  Now 30 years later you don't believe the number and you think it was a stunt.  I know some of our views change as time goes on.  I just don't understand the complete 180.

Not to defend Mr. Wilkinson, but time does have a way to change our perspective.  At that moment, there were no/very little in the way of scandals and such, but when you add up the history it could make one scratch their head and ask "what happened?".

Having said that, I wonder if 20 years later the disciples ever asked themselves "Did Jesus really feed 5,000?" 

You are aware that Wikipedia articles on FBCH, HAC, and Jack Hyles make no mention of them ever having had 100,000 in Sunday School.

I was there. There was tremendous blessing and Godly success. But they no longer claim to have had 100,00 on that day.

RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:

BG, you know that you and I have had some semi-heated conversations on the FFF.  One side of you frustrates me, while I enjoy many of your other posts.  This is one of the frustrating ones.

You say, "Back when we did this I thought my how wonderful that all these people heard the gospel."  In the next breath you say, "In retrospect I'm not so sure there were 100,000, I believe the number was quite elastic and was a very evangelistic number that would not comport with reality.
This was I now believe just a publicity stunt to go with our new auditorium expansion and the buzz surrounding it."

Raider, I think we can see wilk's side. Back in the day we did enjoy it. It did seem like 100,000 people. FBCH was the center of the universe. People came to work there and "nobody left." What he is saying I think as we, in retrospect we see the whole story.

Disclaimer: No part of this post is to be construed as any indication of disloyalty to Raider, and whenever he wants to have a BIG DAY w/ 100,000 posts I will be front and center to support in any way he asks! As long as I do not have to attend my grandmother's funeral!

Vince Massi said:
You are aware that Wikipedia articles on FBCH, HAC, and Jack Hyles make no mention of them ever having had 100,000 in Sunday School.

I was there. There was tremendous blessing and Godly success. But they no longer claim to have had 100,00 on that day.
I may be confused on Big Days.  I know I worked it.  I went to the ghettos and helped in the soul-winning.  I though the first big day like this was Super Bowl Sunday in which we wanted to have more in Sunday School than they did at the Super Bowl the previous year, which was 80,187.  the numbers came in that night and Bro Hyles had numbers called in from various people during the early part of the service of those who had not yet turned in theirs.  I don't know if the numbers were reached or not.  Nobody including Bro Hyles really knew at the time because who knows who was telling the truth and who was padding numbers to look good in front of others.  It is a dangerous thing to please men instead of God. 

I don't think anyone counts any numbers in these mega churches accurately today.  So many are counting multiple services and add them all up together to come to their sum.  People get double and triple counted. 

As to fruit that remains?  Scripture tells us in Matthew 13 that seeds fall on various types of ground and some soil takes and the seeds grow roots.  Obviously some did take root through the years..  Much did not.  And even among those that did but never had their own fruit or remained with us I think Bro Hyles addressed this issue at one point in a sermon called "Where are the Nine".  In our effort to be the biggest and the best I fear many to have gotten caught up in counting of the seed and not the fruit and still others failed to cast real seed at all.

TidesofTruth said:
Vince Massi said:

I may be confused on Big Days.  I know I worked it.  I went to the ghettos and helped in the soul-winning.  I though the first big day like this was Super Bowl Sunday in which we wanted to have more in Sunday School than they did at the Super Bowl the previous year, which was 80,187.  the numbers came in that night and Bro Hyles had numbers called in from various people during the early part of the service of those who had not yet turned in theirs.  I don't know if the numbers were reached or not.  Nobody including Bro Hyles really knew at the time because who knows who was telling the truth and who was padding numbers to look good in front of others.  It is a dangerous thing to please men instead of God. 

I don't think anyone counts any numbers in these mega churches accurately today.  So many are counting multiple services and add them all up together to come to their sum.  People get double and triple counted. 

As to fruit that remains?  Scripture tells us in Matthew 13 that seeds fall on various types of ground and some soil takes and the seeds grow roots.  Obviously some did take root through the years..  Much did not.  And even among those that did but never had their own fruit or remained with us I think Bro Hyles addressed this issue at one point in a sermon called "Where are the Nine".  In our effort to be the biggest and the best I fear many to have gotten caught up in counting of the seed and not the fruit and still others failed to cast real seed at all.

I was there 1975-80. There were three big days like this where services were held in many places. The first was 1976. The second was 1978 which was the Super Bowl Sunday and the third was 1979. 100,000 was hit in 76 and 79. I believe quarterback Craig Morton was suppose to be at FBCH to give his testimony on Super Bowl Sunday until he was arrested for DUI.

Excellent post, Tides.

TidesofTruth said:
Vince Massi said: