First Time Since June 1980

LongGone

Elect
Reaction score
My wife and I are headed to Minneapolis and stayed a hotel in Merrillville tonight. We drove around the HAC campus. First time I had been there since June 1980. The dining hall was not built when I was there. I was surprised that it was still named after DeCoster after he pleaded guilty.  Memory is a funny thing. It is smaller than I remembered and sits closer to Burr Street than I remembered. The buildings did not look bad but older than I remembered. The paved areas have definitely been through some NW Indiana winters.There were 20 or more buses stilling behind the building. Most looked like they had seen better days. Remember some good people and have some good memories but glad I am LongGone from the place.

Did you just drive around campus? No security stops? I haven't been back since we left in 1983...

Sherryh said:
Did you just drive around campus? No security stops? I haven't been back since we left in 1983...

We drove around campus. Were there about 20 minutes and did not see security or any other person for that matter. Renee said it does not look as grand as I remember.

Did you go inside the buildings?

RAIDER said:

No we just drove around.  We were traveling and dressed for travel but I doubt we would have a desire to go in anyhow.

On the way back we stopped again in Merrillville and went to eat at Round the Clock. That place has either declined since the 70s or my taste in restaurants is much more discriminating. Nice to say we ate there but the food was sorry.

LongGone said:
RAIDER said:

No we just drove around.  We were traveling and dressed for travel but I doubt we would have a desire to go in anyhow.

On the way back we stopped again in Merrillville and went to eat at Round the Clock. That place has either declined since the 70s or my taste in restaurants is much more discriminating. Nice to say we ate there but the food was sorry.

No that restaurant is in horrible decline.  The Schererville one is somewhat better but there are much better restaurants in the area.

TidesofTruth said:
LongGone said:
RAIDER said:

No that restaurant is in horrible decline.  The Schererville one is somewhat better but there are much better restaurants in the area.

Through the years food cost ate into the profits of these fine establishments. HACkers kept going in, ordering a cup of coffee and asking for twenty butter packets to go with it. The butter was for the popcorn maker back at the dorm. It all adds up!

TidesofTruth said:
LongGone said:
RAIDER said:

We ate at the one in Schereville because that was one "popular" one during my HAC days. If that is the better one so glad we didn't go to the Merrillville one :eek: