Fondest Memory or Personal Stories about Mrs. Hyles

sword

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I thought it would be a nice tribute to Mrs. Hyles to document some fond memories and personal kindness she showed to members here.

Remember, one memory per post.
We don't want to get in trouble.

Even though I don't have anything to contribute to this thread, it is a great idea!  I especially like the "one memory per post".  :)

Sweet Little Jesus Boy...it aint Christmas til she sings it.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Other than seeing her in the choir, I have no personal experience, except the one time she came into a Saturday night class needing keys.

You could tell it bothered Jack.  She knew it bothered him and I think she enjoyed that.

I believe the class was called Wardrobe Coordination and Grooming.  It was only for ladies.  She was speaking about getting proper amount of rest.  She stated something similar to, "Now, girrrls. Brother Hyles says 5 hours of sleep is all he needs, but girrrrrrls, Brother Hyles has never been a woman!' 

A truly gracious lady. A few months after Bro. Hyles passed away we visited FBC. She came up to us and thanked us for visiting. It had been a dozen or more years since she had seen us and am sure barley knew our names, but still remembered us! A lady of grace who was called to live it.

In the nine years I was at the college I never got to speak to her or have a conversation....

One Wednesday night Bro Hyles said something about how women's dispositions shouldn't change at that time of the month. The next class we had with Mrs Hyles she said, "I wasn't there last Wednesday night but I heard what my husband said and I wanted to say to him Have you ever been a woman?!!!!"

Another time in class she told us that she had spilt a spot of food on her blouse at the Sunday dinner table and that Jack Schaap had said to her, "Well at least that proves you're human!"  Which I thought  was a little odd that she apparently felt so bad about one little spot.

First sermon I heard Bro Hyles preach after we all found out what Dave Hyles had done in Texas Bro Hyles talked about how broken lives like stained glass windows can still be beautiful and Mrs Hyles got up and walked out of the service.

prophet said:
Sweet Little Jesus Boy...it aint Christmas til she sings it.

I've heard others give this same memory!

Beverly seemed like a nice enough lady.  One thing I will never understand is why she allowed Jack to continue his ministry when he had obviously disqualified himself.  Much of the carnage of the 80's and 90's at FBC could have been avoided.

I've known pastor's wives who have blown the whistle on their husbands after finding them to be unfaithful to their calling.  I respect the fact that they chose right over comfort.  Beverly seemed intoxicated with all the creature comforts and perks of being a "first lady".  Kinda sad.

Another take:

Beverly Hyles Has Died
Beverly Hyles has died. I?m probably the last person to find out. She was a wretched woman who found herself in an ironclad marriage to a sex and power driven man whose theology and ethics had more in common with Frederick Nietszsche than to Jesus Christ. But she stayed married to him, never uttering a peep as stories of colleagues and subordinates taking sexual advantage of teenagers and young co-eds increased, even as her own son engineered beatings of outsiders among the boys and began to rack up his own impressive roll call of girls he seduced and dumped.

Beverly Hyles found refuge in the public image of the meek and submissive woman who would never question or disagree with her husband. Being a Quisling against the innocent became the crowning virtue of women at First Baptist Church of Hammond, indeed among all Fundamental Baptists, as all the women married to the first string preachers saw the depravity, watched young lives be destroyed, and obediently, submissively, kept their mouths closed. Submission became more important than charity, compassion, personal integrity, courage, or honor.

Paula Polonco, first wife of Dave Hyles, was a rare and brave woman who broke free, divorced him, and got the children away from their violent, wrathful, and sex-obsessed father. The Hyles family dumped both her and the children, and there was Bev, smiling sweetly, never intervening, never disagreeing with her husband. Like all who dissented from the Hyles machine, the grand children were simply erased from family and church memory.

Brent Stephens, the 18 month old son of David?s lover turned wife, died in mysterious and horrifying condition. Jack Hyles was at the scene before the cops got there. Dave pleaded the fifth ammendment at the inquest. The church attacked the lead investigator, Paul Ciolino, who never budged an inch from his certainty that Dave had played a hand in the abused child?s death. And Bev just stood there, silent and submissive, sweetly smiling.

Then Jack David, Dave?s own son, died in a bizarre accident. Dave flew his dad Jack Hyles down to the scene where it occurred. How did Jack David really die? And who was really there when he was run over in the driveway? Did Bev know? Did she suspect? She just stood silent and submissive, sweetly smiling.

And when Jack died, she just rolled away from Hammond with several million dollars and a sports car, heading for Texas, and never looked back. But she never spoke, never said all she knew. A couple years ago, when she was going to attend some conference or another, she cancelled because word got out that women were going to be there who were going to ask her some hard questions. Not Bev. Never. She perfected that saintly, benevolent smile her whole life. Lives around her were destroyed. Children died in mysterious circumstances, marriages were broken, dissenters roughed up. But Bev knew better than to be silenced by her husband or his cronies. She silenced herself. And she got the money and the car and a new house in Texas and a new life. All she ever had to do was keep her mouth shut and smile sweetly.

As somebody wrote in tribute to her on an obituary website: ?Now you are in God?s Hands. I am so happy.?

Me too.

Norefund said:
Another take:

Beverly Hyles Has Died
Beverly Hyles has died. I?m probably the last person to find out. She was a wretched woman who found herself in an ironclad marriage to a sex and power driven man whose theology and ethics had more in common with Frederick Nietszsche than to Jesus Christ. But she stayed married to him, never uttering a peep as stories of colleagues and subordinates taking sexual advantage of teenagers and young co-eds increased, even as her own son engineered beatings of outsiders among the boys and began to rack up his own impressive roll call of girls he seduced and dumped.

Beverly Hyles found refuge in the public image of the meek and submissive woman who would never question or disagree with her husband. Being a Quisling against the innocent became the crowning virtue of women at First Baptist Church of Hammond, indeed among all Fundamental Baptists, as all the women married to the first string preachers saw the depravity, watched young lives be destroyed, and obediently, submissively, kept their mouths closed. Submission became more important than charity, compassion, personal integrity, courage, or honor.

Paula Polonco, first wife of Dave Hyles, was a rare and brave woman who broke free, divorced him, and got the children away from their violent, wrathful, and sex-obsessed father. The Hyles family dumped both her and the children, and there was Bev, smiling sweetly, never intervening, never disagreeing with her husband. Like all who dissented from the Hyles machine, the grand children were simply erased from family and church memory.

Brent Stephens, the 18 month old son of David?s lover turned wife, died in mysterious and horrifying condition. Jack Hyles was at the scene before the cops got there. Dave pleaded the fifth ammendment at the inquest. The church attacked the lead investigator, Paul Ciolino, who never budged an inch from his certainty that Dave had played a hand in the abused child?s death. And Bev just stood there, silent and submissive, sweetly smiling.

Then Jack David, Dave?s own son, died in a bizarre accident. Dave flew his dad Jack Hyles down to the scene where it occurred. How did Jack David really die? And who was really there when he was run over in the driveway? Did Bev know? Did she suspect? She just stood silent and submissive, sweetly smiling.

And when Jack died, she just rolled away from Hammond with several million dollars and a sports car, heading for Texas, and never looked back. But she never spoke, never said all she knew. A couple years ago, when she was going to attend some conference or another, she cancelled because word got out that women were going to be there who were going to ask her some hard questions. Not Bev. Never. She perfected that saintly, benevolent smile her whole life. Lives around her were destroyed. Children died in mysterious circumstances, marriages were broken, dissenters roughed up. But Bev knew better than to be silenced by her husband or his cronies. She silenced herself. And she got the money and the car and a new house in Texas and a new life. All she ever had to do was keep her mouth shut and smile sweetly.

As somebody wrote in tribute to her on an obituary website: ?Now you are in God?s Hands. I am so happy.?

Me too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQyhmd7Gk4U

I've never thought of it in that way, but I can imagine and believe that what you've said is true. I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not sure whether she knew as much as she should have or not. Given the depravity all around her, she probably knew more than I'd thought about. Definitely something to consider.

Norefund said:

Ah, her.

I'm sure that she knew a lot, but I thought the write-up was unduly harsh in places; I don't think that she stayed silent just for the money, as the write-up implied.

I do wish that she would have spoken up and revealed the truth.

I agree. Harsh words, especially to call her wretched. None of us know what personal and spiritual battles people have fought. She may have thought she was pleasing God by supporting her family and her church. I suspect there were many tears in her life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jo said:
I agree. Harsh words, especially to call her wretched. None of us know what personal and spiritual battles people have fought. She may have thought she was pleasing God by supporting her family and her church. I suspect there were many tears in her life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeri is the wretched one.  :(