For Church Buildings with Steeples, Air Conditioning, Pews, and Pulpits?

BandGuy

Elect
Reaction score
Please, convince us from SCRIPTURE ALONE that this is okay.

"Some therefore cried one thing, and some another: for the assembly was confused; and the more part knew not wherefore they were come together."  Acts 19:32

That should be all you need, but there's more where that came from.

;D

BandGuy said:
Please, convince us from SCRIPTURE ALONE that this is okay.

I can't.

I can argue (with scripture) against some of these things, however.

1 Cor 14:26 How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. 30 But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged.

This is one place among many which describes the gathering of believers (church) as a place where mutual edification occurs in an open environment where anyone can participate if their participation doesn't cause confusion. 

Pews and pulpits are for single lecturers (pulpit) and everyone else being listeners (pews), an arrangement which eventually degenerated into "religious theater" where people attend to show off and be entertained.  Pews and pulpits are not conducive to gathering to edify one another. 

You can 'argue' any number of things 'from scripture', but you absolutely cannot show any Biblically prescribed order of worship or Biblically ordained physical structure or meeting place for the church.

But that doesn't keep us from trying..... :)

Tarheel Baptist said:
You can 'argue' any number of things 'from scripture', but you absolutely cannot show any Biblically prescribed order of worship

There is no prescribed order of worship, since the gathering of believers is for mutual edification.  There's no precedent in the Bible for a "worship service". 

Tarheel Baptist said:
Biblically ordained physical structure or meeting place for the church

Wherever Christians meet, that's a meeting place for the church. 

You start with locating the organ properly and then build from there.

The Rogue Tomato said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
You can 'argue' any number of things 'from scripture', but you absolutely cannot show any Biblically prescribed order of worship

There is no prescribed order of worship, since the gathering of believers is for mutual edification.  There's no precedent in the Bible for a "worship service". 

Tarheel Baptist said:
Biblically ordained physical structure or meeting place for the church

Wherever Christians meet, that's a meeting place for the church.

I agree about a 'worship service', but I was just using the vernacular of today's church culture.
I also agree any building can be a suitable meeting place for the church body...but there is no prohibition for having designated buildings.