For Jackhylesson's friends

fishinnut

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Remember when Davy-boy told of growing up with a famous IFB pastor as his dad & thinking his name was "Jackhylesson"?

Is anyone here, or lurking here on the HACker forum willing to fess up to at one time or another considering themselves a friend of Davey-boy? This could have been while growing up at FBCH, or HB, in the youth group with him as also a teen or a fellow student (like me) while at HAC? Maybe you were a teenager under his ministry at FBCH. It could have been that you had Davey-boy preach for you in your church or some other ministry.

Maybe you noticed things at the time of your friendship that at the time made you think, "Say what" or "He said, preached (or did) what?" Let's keep real names out of comments about hurtful occurrences.

Tell us about what you remember and as always (HACkers love rules) 1 post per comment.

I knew 2 who were close friends of Dave, but because of the doctrine of secondary separation, I didn't associate with them (unless they were buying dinner).

fishinnut said:
Remember when Davy-boy told of growing up with a famous IFB pastor as his dad & thinking his name was "Jackhylesson"?

Is anyone here, or lurking here on the HACker forum willing to fess up to at one time or another considering themselves a friend of Davey-boy? This could have been while growing up at FBCH, or HB, in the youth group with him as also a teen or a fellow student (like me) while at HAC? Maybe you were a teenager under his ministry at FBCH. It could have been that you had Davey-boy preach for you in your church or some other ministry.

Maybe you noticed things at the time of your friendship that at the time made you think, "Say what" or "He said, preached (or did) what?" Let's keep real names out of comments about hurtful occurrences.

Tell us about what you remember and as always (HACkers love rules) 1 post per comment.

I remember DH preaching in Bridgetown NJ in 1974. He was 19. In a Q&A session where he told what was wrong with a whole lot of ministries somebody asked him who did he like. The answer was a couple of music groups from FBCH/HAC.

Later when I was a student he talked about that meeting in Christian Manhood class about how awful it was he had to stay a the Pastor's home. All of 19 years old and the poor guy had to stay at a Pastor's home instead of a hotel.

LongGone said:
I remember DH preaching in Bridgetown NJ in 1974. He was 19. In a Q&A session where he told what was wrong with a whole lot of ministries...

These couple of sentences really sum up the whole problem. He was elevated far above where he should have been at that age. There is a reason Scripture says, "Not a novice." Pride lurks in every person's heart but it absolutely rages in young people. What a terrible combination of youth, pride, success, and stardom he had. How could he not go down in flames?

I wrote a whole chapter in Schizophrenic specifically about this problem of elevating young men. It is devastating.

I only met Dave Hyles once when I visited a Baptist church in Pinellas Park,  Florida.  Was surprised when they had him teaching Sunday School.

16KJV11 said:
I only met Dave Hyles once when I visited a Baptist church in Pinellas Park,  Florida.  Was surprised when they had him teaching Sunday School.

When was this?

I never had a one-on-one conversation with Dave Hyles.  During my freshman, and I believe sophomore, years he taught Church Ed.  He was very bright and down to earth.  He was also very organized.  I thought he did a great job with the class.  Of course, we had no idea of what was going on behind the scenes.

Twisted said:
16KJV11 said:

When was this?
Either 94' or 95', can't remember which.

16KJV11 said:

I met him only once, during the time he was pastoring Miller Road Baptist Church in Garland. I don't remember if I knew who he was at the time or not.  I wasn't, at that time, very aware of Jack Hyles, either.

I also remember in Christian Manhood class DH talking about wanting to be able to have his shirts custom made so they would look right. I remember looking around the class and seeing students who had worked all night including married students who were trying to support a family, pay their tuition and keep their kids in Hammond Baptist. Even as unquestioning as I was at that time I thought custom made shirts for this class is just too bizarre.

LongGone said:
I also remember in Christian Manhood class DH talking about wanting to be able to have his shirts custom made so they would look right. I remember looking around the class and seeing students who had worked all night including married students who were trying to support a family, pay their tuition and keep their kids in Hammond Baptist. Even as unquestioning as I was at that time I thought custom made shirts for this class is just too bizarre.

Were you chewing cloves at the time?

Twisted said:
LongGone said:

I still do.

Sent from my LGL43AL using Tapatalk

Twisted said:
LongGone said:

I remember DH not being a fan of Binaca because it wasn't healthy.  He promoted chewing cloves.  The clove sales in the Calumet region skyrocketed. 

I knew Dave. I have 2 stories

Dave and Ollie Conley were preaching at a youth conference in Chestertown Maryland over the summer. Ollie was my roommate and I was beginning to be accepted into dave's circle. I went with my parents one night. Ollie told a story to my dad and I of being in the hotel the night before and Dave sending a hooker to Ollie's room to see how he would react. In my immaturity I laughed and I remember my dad immmediatly saying I see nothing funny in that prank at all. Riding back after the service my wise father said Son you need to distance yourself from them. Something is terribly wrong with him. ( speaking of dave) I should have listened.

Later Ollie ran off with his girlfriend who was a student at the college. We worked at Pullman Standard together and when I went to pick him up to ride to work together he told me he wasn't coming and that he and the girl were running off. He snatched her up and left. Very sad outcome to this story. I went to Dave's house to tell him and we went down into the basement and I remember dave swearing (this opened my eyes finally) and saying how Ollie was about to be on staff and is going to blow it over $##% ( word associated with Trump lately).

deertracks said:

Dave and Ollie Conley were preaching at a youth conference in Chestertown Maryland over the summer. Ollie was my roommate and I was beginning to be accepted into dave's circle. I went with my parents one night. Ollie told a story to my dad and I of being in the hotel the night before and Dave sending a hooker to Ollie's room to see how he would react. In my immaturity I laughed and I remember my dad immmediatly saying I see nothing funny in that prank at all. Riding back after the service my wise father said Son you need to distance yourself from them. Something is terribly wrong with him. ( speaking of dave) I should have listened.

Later Ollie ran off with his girlfriend who was a student at the college. We worked at Pullman Standard together and when I went to pick him up to ride to work together he told me he wasn't coming and that he and the girl were running off. He snatched her up and left. Very sad outcome to this story. I went to Dave's house to tell him and we went down into the basement and I remember dave swearing (this opened my eyes finally) and saying how Ollie was about to be on staff and is going to blow it over $##% ( word associated with Trump lately).

Was Ollie the guy with the red hair?

RAIDER said:
deertracks said:

Was Ollie the guy with the red hair?

Was David Nelms the pastor of the church?

deertracks said:

This sounds like Schaap.

Yes Ollie was the guy with the red hair

Yes I believe it was Nelms church at the time

deertracks said:
Yes Ollie was the guy with the red hair

Yes I believe it was Nelms church at the time

Watch out.  You could have split those answers into two separate posts.

RAIDER will be after you now.

This series illustrates the problems with HAC's ?no criticism? policy. If anyone had told the other students about these incidents, he would be breaking the rules, proving that he had a bad attitude, proving that he was lying,and proving that Dave (and others) were innocent.