For sake of time...

Mathew Ward

Elect
Reaction score
Why is it that some pastors or preachers skip parts of the text or context in a sermon for sake of time?

It comes across to me that what they have to say is seems more important than what God has to say.

Does this bother anyone else when they hear it?

FTR I have done this myself...

Mathew Ward said:
Why is it that some pastors or preachers skip parts of the text or context in a sermon for sake of time?

It comes across to me that what they have to say is seems more important than what God has to say.

I have done it too.  It can be a danger, if the person is ripping things out of context and is just using the expression to avoid dealing with the actual meaning of the text.  But, I have heard legitimate sermons and good preachers avoid things in the text that are superfluous to the theme of the sermon they've crafted, and in doing so they are not doing disservice or harm to the text.

Mathew Ward said:

I assume when this is done the passages in between are not relevant to the message.

Used to do that...try not to do it anymore.  Used to be in a hurry to get through text that proved my point, now just want the text to speak for itself...and if I don't get through it before Jesus comes, well then we will all know anyway.  But for the sake of time I wont write anymore on this post... :eek: 8)

I think there should always be time for the context. Otherwise, how will the congregation know the passage really supports what the preacher is using it for? "Proof-texting" is so often a matter of quote-mining... but when taken in context, it often clearly isn't about what it sounds like.

I've heard Dennis Coral use that expression 70 mins. into a sermon & was just warming up.

At that point I was fine with him sticking to just the main points.

Av Henderson preached  18 minutes at graduation many years ago... you can preach more in 30 minutes...

Mathew Ward said:

God corrected this in my life.  I'm now the  'boring guy' who read Ikings 13:1-26 last night, in order to give context to a contributing passage in a topical sermon on the subject  "As a Lion".

Anishinabe

Three of my pastors, over a number of years, preached out of Nehemiah. Upon reaching chapter 8 verse 6 all of them skipped over the part where the people raised their hands in response to Ezra's reading of the Word.

I don't think it was to save time.  :-\

subllibrm said:
Three of my pastors, over a number of years, preached out of Nehemiah. Upon reaching chapter 8 verse 6 all of them skipped over the part where the people raised their hands in response to Ezra's reading of the Word.

I don't think it was to save time.  :-\

An inconvenient truth?