Freedom as a Pastor

BamaFan

Elect
Reaction score
I'm not trying to get a stick started, just wandering if anyone had the same experience.

Sometime ago a friend that asked me how was my experience going back into a SBC church to pastor. I simply told him that I was more free as a SBC pastor than as an independent Baptist pastor to be and do as I believe God wanted me to do. He looked at me very strange and asked how's that?

I told him that I did not have to financially support anything that I did not want to support, had no one trying to tell me who to have come preach (and did not have to worry that any of my sbc pastor friends would call me either), I don't have to worry about anyone writing me up in a "Christian" newspaper and calling me a liberal (unless it is for pastoring an sbc church), I don't have to worry about being shunned at a pastor's fellowship, have been more encouraged than ever to be faithful to preach the would of God expositionally, to loving lead God's people, and believe that the work of God is God's business I just get to participate in obedience and faith.

Has anyone else had this experience, or am I just blessed.

Please note: I did not write this post to bash my Independent pastor friends. There are many great and Godly men that pastor Independent Baptist churches. In fact I still preach for and have them preach for me. This may shock you, but when I went back into the sbc, the very first words I heard from convention leadership was- "We are all independent Baptist churches that choose to cooperate on some level."
I'm not loyal to Nashville, Greenville, Pensacola, Lancaster, Hammond or Rome- Just Jesus!

In my experience SBCs pastors are little "b's". I have very little problems with little "b's". I have a lot of problems with BIG "Bs"

I believe the ideal church organizational structure is congregationalism.... Yet, recognizing that we have are in this together. I see this more out of SBC churches than any other "Christian" organizational structure in America....

Parachurch ministries (such as SBC ) oppose scripture. Fleecing the congregation to funnel their hard earned cash into a secular organization is not going to feel good, for a Christ Follower at least. When others hear about your heeding scripture, they are naturally going to feel like a deer in the headlights.  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Be encouraged as you rejoice in your steps to better adhere to the biblical model for church. You may plant a seed there. The disclaimer, I'd leave out. You need not apologize for your faith.

The church should be autonomous, first step in following the biblical model for church. You should affiliate yourself with other autonomous churches, if you want.

A Few Pastors here graduated form the Masters Seminary and ended up  changing the church name,  making the church elder run, etc. Introduced Expository preaching.  Both churches are as strong, or close to it, maybe stronger. I had no idea their attendance prior. Both churches experienced smooth transitions. No more ball and chain.

BamaFan said:
I'm not trying to get a stick started, just wandering if anyone had the same experience.

Sometime ago a friend that asked me how was my experience going back into a SBC church to pastor. I simply told him that I was more free as a SBC pastor than as an independent Baptist pastor to be and do as I believe God wanted me to do. He looked at me very strange and asked how's that?

I told him that I did not have to financially support anything that I did not want to support, had no one trying to tell me who to have come preach (and did not have to worry that any of my sbc pastor friends would call me either), I don't have to worry about anyone writing me up in a "Christian" newspaper and calling me a liberal (unless it is for pastoring an sbc church), I don't have to worry about being shunned at a pastor's fellowship, have been more encouraged than ever to be faithful to preach the would of God expositionally, to loving lead God's people, and believe that the work of God is God's business I just get to participate in obedience and faith.

Has anyone else had this experience, or am I just blessed.

Please note: I did not write this post to bash my Independent pastor friends. There are many great and Godly men that pastor Independent Baptist churches. In fact I still preach for and have them preach for me. This may shock you, but when I went back into the sbc, the very first words I heard from convention leadership was- "We are all independent Baptist churches that choose to cooperate on some level."
I'm not loyal to Nashville, Greenville, Pensacola, Lancaster, Hammond or Rome- Just Jesus!

I was an IFB Pastor for over 30 years....been an SBC Pastor for about 9 months....neither our congregation or I can tell the difference. At least not in the day to day, week to week operation of our ministry.

Biker said:
Parachurch ministries (such as SBC ) oppose scripture. Fleecing the congregation to funnel their hard earned cash into a secular organization is not going to feel good, for a Christ Follower at least. When others hear about your heeding scripture, they are naturally going to feel like a deer in the headlights.  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Be encouraged as you rejoice in your steps to better adhere to the biblical model for church. You may plant a seed there. The disclaimer, I'd leave out. You need not apologize for your faith.

The church should be autonomous, first step in following the biblical model for church. You should affiliate yourself with other autonomous churches, if you want.

A Few Pastors here graduated form the Masters Seminary and ended up  changing the church name,  making the church elder run, etc. Introduced Expository preaching.  Both churches are as strong, or close to it, maybe stronger. I had no idea their attendance prior. Both churches experienced smooth transitions. No more ball and chain.

Nothing but ignorance...you clearly have no idea about the SBC or the churches that voluntarily cooperate within the SBC.

T-Bone said:
Biker said:

Nothing but ignorance...you clearly have no idea about the SBC or the churches that voluntarily cooperate within the SBC.
You're speaking of yourself.  With all due respect,  I don't want another message from the moderator on how he can "help" us get along when I don't even post to you. I only reply, as to not ignore you. Both of your lewd posts, and your whiny posts to me, are unwelcome. Nothing you'll post to me will ever be fruitful so please exercise self control and refrain. If not out of respect for me, at least for the moderator FSSL. Thanks for stopping.

Mooooooooooooooooooo.....

....got my SBC brand.........

............but that don't mean I ain't free...................

Moooooooooooooooooooooooo................

...........can wander anywhere I want inside this fence....................

...........................I'm just a here as a volunteer..............

...............mmmmmmmmmmoooooooooooooooooooooooooo.........................

......nobody gonna make steak outta me.....................

....................mmmooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..................

..............oh good!  Here they finally come with our feed....................

MMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man!  That rubber band they put on me is REALLY starting to get tight!!!! 

Biker said:
T-Bone said:
Biker said:

You're speaking of yourself.  With all due respect,  I don't want another message from the moderator on how he can "help" us get along when I don't even post to you. I only reply, as to not ignore you. Both of your lewd posts, and your whiny posts to me, are unwelcome. Nothing you'll post to me will ever be fruitful so please exercise self control and refrain. If not out of respect for me, at least for the moderator FSSL. Thanks for stopping.

I will continue to respond to outright ignorant statements in the open forum...I don't care if they come from you or someone else.  You have already been shown to be a liar and accuser who has yet to apologize for your false statements.  I have respect for the moderator, but none for you.  So when you post in an open forum the garbage that you have, I will respond, but not so much to you personally, but to your stupidity! 

Frag said:

..............oh good!  Here they finally come with our feed....................

More ignorance...sure would like for you or someone else to show something based in fact, that makes your church anymore independent than mine.  Or how who you choose to associate with as an autonomous church is any different than the choices we make to associate with the SBC and are any less an autonomous church.  Facts please, not your cow calls from the pasture.

Frag said:
Mmmmoooooooooo........

As expected...no facts, just continuing to be utter-ly ridiculous!

T-Bone said:
Frag said:
Mmmmoooooooooo........

I have always supported those IFB churches who wish to go home to mamma. 

I have not only supported them, I have ENCOURAGED them.

I applaud you an all those like you.  If you have more in common with the SBC than you do most IFB churches, then PLEASE, join the SBC.....although apparently you don't really join......and apparently are still IFB...........

.........all except for the rubber band thingy...........

....mmmoooooooo......

Frag said:
T-Bone said:
Frag said:
Mmmmoooooooooo........

I have always supported those IFB churches who wish to go home to mamma. 

I have not only supported them, I have ENCOURAGED them.

I applaud you an all those like you.  If you have more in common with the SBC than you do most IFB churches, then PLEASE, join the SBC.....although apparently you don't really join......and apparently are still IFB...........

.........all except for the rubber band thingy...........

....mmmoooooooo......

Your problem brother is you definition of terms...you are no more independent than I am.  Your church makes all its own decisions concerning affiliations, spending of monies, pastors, doctrine, and polity and so does mine.  So while it is true I would not fit in the modern definition of "fundamentalism"...I am every bit as fundamental and autonomous as you...and that is just the facts.

Now stop the moooooing, makes me want to go get a hamburger and fries!

If our church joins the American Baptist Convention, are we still IFB?

Can I join both the ABC and the SBC? 

Would either have a problem with that?

How about if my church joins all of these listed below -- am I still really just an IFBaptist???

United States:
        Alliance of Baptists
        American Baptist Association
        American Baptist Churches
        Association of Reformed Baptist Churches of America
        Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists
        Baptist Bible Fellowship International
        Baptist General Conference
        Baptist Missionary Association of America
        Central Baptist Association
        Christian Unity Baptist Association
        Conservative Baptist Association of America
        Continental Baptist Churches
        Cooperative Baptist Fellowship
        Enterprise Association of Regular Baptists
        Evangelical Free Baptist Church
        Free Will Baptist
        Full Gospel Baptist Church Fellowship
        Fundamental Baptist Fellowship Association
        Fundamental Baptist Fellowship of America
        General Association of Baptists
        General Association of General Baptists
        General Association of Regular Baptist Churches
        General Conference of the Evangelical Baptist Church, Inc.
        General Six-Principle Baptists
        Independent Baptist Church of America
        Independent Baptist Fellowship International
        Independent Baptist Fellowship of North America
        Institutional Missionary Baptist Conference of America
        Interstate & Foreign Landmark Missionary Baptist Association
        Landmark Baptists
        Liberty Baptist Fellowship
        Macedonia Baptist World Missions
        Mainstream Baptist Network
        National Association of Free Will Baptists
        National Baptist Convention of America, Inc.
        National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc.
        National Baptist Evangelical Life and Soul Saving Assembly of the U.S.A.
        National Missionary Baptist Convention of America
        National Primitive Baptist Convention of the U.S.A.
        North American Baptist Conference
        Old Regular Baptist
        Indian Bottom Association of Old Regular Baptists
        Old Time Missionary Baptist
        Original Free Will Baptist Convention
        Primitive Baptists
        Progressive National Baptist Convention
        Reformed Baptist
        Regular Baptist
        Roger Williams Fellowship
        Separate Baptist
        Separate Baptists in Christ
        Seventh Day Baptist General Conference
        Southern Baptist Convention
        Southwide Baptist Fellowship
        Sovereign Grace Baptists
        Two-Seed-in-the-Spirit Predestinarian Baptists
        United American Free Will Baptist Church
        United American Free Will Baptist Conference
        United Baptists
        Unregistered Baptist Fellowship
        World Baptist Fellowship
        Worldwide Baptist New Testament Missions

Gotta love the Two-Seed-in-the-Spirit Predestinarian Baptists!!!!

Frag said:
If our church joins the American Baptist Convention, are we still IFB?

Can I join both the ABC and the SBC? 

Would either have a problem with that?

How about if my church joins all of these listed below -- am I still really just an IFBaptist???

United States:
        Alliance of Baptists
        American Baptist Association
        American Baptist Churches
        Association of Reformed Baptist Churches of America
        Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists
        Baptist Bible Fellowship International
        Baptist General Conference
        Baptist Missionary Association of America
        Central Baptist Association
        Christian Unity Baptist Association
        Conservative Baptist Association of America
        Continental Baptist Churches
        Cooperative Baptist Fellowship
        Enterprise Association of Regular Baptists
        Evangelical Free Baptist Church
        Free Will Baptist
        Full Gospel Baptist Church Fellowship
        Fundamental Baptist Fellowship Association
        Fundamental Baptist Fellowship of America
        General Association of Baptists
        General Association of General Baptists
        General Association of Regular Baptist Churches
        General Conference of the Evangelical Baptist Church, Inc.
        General Six-Principle Baptists
        Independent Baptist Church of America
        Independent Baptist Fellowship International
        Independent Baptist Fellowship of North America
        Institutional Missionary Baptist Conference of America
        Interstate & Foreign Landmark Missionary Baptist Association
        Landmark Baptists
        Liberty Baptist Fellowship
        Macedonia Baptist World Missions
        Mainstream Baptist Network
        National Association of Free Will Baptists
        National Baptist Convention of America, Inc.
        National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc.
        National Baptist Evangelical Life and Soul Saving Assembly of the U.S.A.
        National Missionary Baptist Convention of America
        National Primitive Baptist Convention of the U.S.A.
        North American Baptist Conference
        Old Regular Baptist
        Indian Bottom Association of Old Regular Baptists
        Old Time Missionary Baptist
        Original Free Will Baptist Convention
        Primitive Baptists
        Progressive National Baptist Convention
        Reformed Baptist
        Regular Baptist
        Roger Williams Fellowship
        Separate Baptist
        Separate Baptists in Christ
        Seventh Day Baptist General Conference
        Southern Baptist Convention
        Southwide Baptist Fellowship
        Sovereign Grace Baptists
        Two-Seed-in-the-Spirit Predestinarian Baptists
        United American Free Will Baptist Church
        United American Free Will Baptist Conference
        United Baptists
        Unregistered Baptist Fellowship
        World Baptist Fellowship
        Worldwide Baptist New Testament Missions

The point is if your church joins anything by the choice of your church and in joining them does not give up its autonomy then it remains "independent".  It is that simple.  If you give up your autonomy then you would no longer be independent.  The misnomer of too many IFB is that SBC churches are not autonomous and independent as a local body...we are, we always have been....that's the facts.

So is there anything you could do as a pastor or church that would get you kicked out of the SBC?

Frag said:

DOEG post!!!!

Wow.  I just re-read that list.  We are one dysfunctional bunch!!!

Frag said:
So is there anything you could do as a pastor or church that would get you kicked out of the SBC?

Kicked out?  Since we are a church that joined in soliciting membership, nor do we pay dues to an organization called SBC, no.  Could the local association of churches decide because of doctrinal error on our part to remove fellowship from us, yes, and they could take it to the convention, which actually only exists for about 4 days once a year and they could remove fellowship from us.

That does not change my point, we are SBC because we choose to be, if tomorrow we choose not to be, then it would be so.  I am not told what to preach, how to lead the church, we pay no dues, but we willingly as an autonomous church cooperate with the SBC churches in sending missionaries around the world.  Apart from that the SBC has no impact or say in our local church.