Fundamental Challenge Coin?

FundNoMore

Elect
Reaction score
A friend called me today to ask my opinion. An evangelist was at his church and publicly presented the pastor with a challenge coin and he wasn't sure what to make of it. He is familiar with the challenge coins of the military and other branches of service and that when one is given, it is usually a private transfer, not a public one with pronouncement.
So I would like the opinion of others here. Have you heard or seen a Fundamentalist challenge coin before? Thoughts on public presentations vs private transfer with a handshake? I am especially interested in the opinion of those who have served our country.
Thanks in advance

What is the point of a challenge coin?
Forgive my ignorance

A friend called me today to ask my opinion. An evangelist was at his church and publicly presented the pastor with a challenge coin and he wasn't sure what to make of it. He is familiar with the challenge coins of the military and other branches of service and that when one is given, it is usually a private transfer, not a public one with pronouncement.
So I would like the opinion of others here. Have you heard or seen a Fundamentalist challenge coin before? Thoughts on public presentations vs private transfer with a handshake? I am especially interested in the opinion of those who have served our country.
Thanks in advance
In the Civil Air Patrol, we will give a challenge coin to members who distinguish themselves in something they are assigned to do. We also give challenge coins to visiting dignitaries who speak to the cadets (military or civilian) or perform a valuable service to the organization. The challenge coin is always presented to that person, along with a certificate of appreciation, in a public ceremony.

In the Civil Air Patrol, we will give a challenge coin to members who distinguish themselves in something they are assigned to do. We also give challenge coins to visiting dignitaries who speak to the cadets (military or civilian) or perform a valuable service to the organization. The challenge coin is always presented to that person, along with a certificate of appreciation, in a public ceremony.
So a challenge coin is an acknowledgment that the recipient conducted himself admirably under challenging circumstances? As opposed to being a way to issue a challenge, as the name would seem to suggest.

So a challenge coin is an acknowledgment that the recipient conducted himself admirably under challenging circumstances? As opposed to being a way to issue a challenge, as the name would seem to suggest.
I'm just telling you how we use it. Good, bad or indifferent, that's how we do it.

Seems sort of out of place in a church setting. But, that's just my opinion. I don't see anything unscriptural about it.

Thank you to those who have answered. I might understand the awarding a challenge coin to someone who comes to your organization and contributes to "the cause". I found this idea of the "guest" presenting the coin to the host pastor a little unusual, especially in such a public manner.
My cynical nature makes me wonder if this is new way to manipulate loyalty, since so many fundamental colleges have closed hence fewer honorary doctorates can be handed out.
Time will tell.

I don’t see anything wrong with this even if it was public. If the visiting preacher was a mentor or an influence on a younger preacher, I see no problem with it. If it was a silver star for fundamentalism or something compared to an actual military honor, then I would take issue with it. I think we need leaders to challenge younger preachers as Paul challenged Timothy. Young preachers need someone they respect to be a role model and to encourage them to always do right no matter what the cost. To live a holy life & to always be a good example to the congregation God has given them and to younger preachers who respect them. Preachers need to know they have someone they can turn to for advice when they need it, someone who will tell them the truth even when that’s not what they want to hear.

In every situation I have personally been aware of, a leader or someone who had excelled in his area of expertise would give a younger and newer member of the group or unit a challenge coin. This was to show they had been accepted to the group, always after they had proven themselves in some way. It is often an opportunity to do just as the name says, challenge the newer member of the group to live up to the high standards and heritage of the unit, group or organization. It came with the challenge to push themselves and work hard to excel in their field of expertise.

In my experience, these were not given out liberally and always had to be earned in some way. In every case I am aware of, they were coveted by the recipient.

Thank you to those who have answered. I might understand the awarding a challenge coin to someone who comes to your organization and contributes to "the cause". I found this idea of the "guest" presenting the coin to the host pastor a little unusual, especially in such a public manner.
My cynical nature makes me wonder if this is new way to manipulate loyalty, since so many fundamental colleges have closed hence fewer honorary doctorates can be handed out.
Time will tell.
Regardless of your opinion on Honorary doctorates, I contend the number handed out by Christian Colleges were always limited. Most colleges, who chose to recognize others is this way, only gave out one or two a year. If anyone knows of a college who gave out multiple each and every year then I'm just unaware of it. In the case of Hyles Anderson most recipients were long time pastors or missionaries. If my memory serves me very few were given to other full times servants like assistant pastors, bus directors, school principals or teachers. I don't even recall many evangelists being recognized. I seem to recall someone saying you can count on one hand the number of woman who were honored by HAC in this way.